Do you enjoy cooking?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
If so, what are your favorite cooking utensils/methods? Mine starting from favorite are:

1. bamboo steamer. the best way of steaming food (esp vegetables) that I know of. Steamed veggies are consistantly perfect, esp brocolli and colliflower.
  2. wock - a great all-purpose classic. I use this with a bamboo steamer because it's big. you can cook just about any way in a wock from frying to sauteing to boiling.
  3. grill/camp fire - the flavor, nuff said. great way to cook meats.
  4. toaster oven - like this better than a microwave for warming and cooking small meals.
    [/list=1]

sauteing would be next. baking is too much use of heat for so little using a regular oven. microwaving absolutely sucks and is a last resort or relegated to re-heating use. fry very rarely although deep frying is great for fish.

I enjoy cooking sometimes

I like to use my oven. Some of my best dishes/creations come out in the oven.

I Love :heart: to Cook....the only problem is once I cook I'm no longer hungry. :rolleyes:

#1. Wok-I'm a big vegetable and seafood person.....and my WOK is the most used piece of equipment in my kitchen.

#3 BIG BLACK SKILLET- It was given to me by my grandmother...so I use it every chance I get. Usually for making my sauces.

#2 The Oven- From My extensive Cake Creations to Pies and Casseroles. (I ususally bake something sweet evey week..it's how I reward my hubby for eating all the healthy food.)

#3 My BIG GUMBO POT- This time of year I make alot of soups (Crawfish Bisque is my favorite). Even though it's only two of us I cook like we have an army eating with us......and end up freezing the majority of every soup I make.

New Editions: The Bread Maker, and the Waffle Maker....neither gets alot of use yet...but thier time will come

I like to cook food from alot of differnt cultures, namely Louisianian (i.e. Creole, Cajun), West Indian (esp. Ackee and Saltfish & Curry dishes), Asian, Traditional African (Especially Cakes), Italian & Indian(Mostly Saag's)

Originally posted by Storm_ofSU
#3 BIG BLACK SKILLET- It was given to me by my grandmother...so I use it every chance I get. Usually for making my sauces.

I like the BIG BLACK SKILLET. Mine's cracked!!!!:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: My mom gave that one to me and now I need to find another. I cooked everything on top of the stove in that skillet. :( :(

Love to cook...especially for others...

No Mike, Ntelekt, and Phatback...you can have no more...
You've accused me of shack'n just one 2 many times.
Now my recipes and good cook'n are only for the other men in my life. :D

I'm sensitive ya know.:splat: :lol:

The BBQ grill, the George Forman Grill and Broiling dishes get great use around here. I grill everything, fish, chicken, steak, chops, etc....

I don't fry anything...except an egg on occasion and its not fried in anything except no stick spray or light butter.

Seasoning, Sauteeing and tenderizing are a must.
3 things for sure...you'll want me , more of my cook'n or all of the above after one bite. Eeeey, don't hate me cause I'm gifted.:)

Flavor is Food!

Re: Love to cook...especially for others...

Originally posted by aamuprettywoman
No Mike, Ntelekt, and Phatback...you can have no more...
You've accused me of shack'n just one 2 many times.
Now my recipes and good cook'n are only for the other men in my life. :D

May I have some of your delicious delights???? :D

I used to love the cook in the OVEN but now my George Foreman Grill is my best friend. As far as my favorite thing to use it all depends on what I am cooking. if I am frying fish or chicken then it is my granny(god rest her soul) big black cast iron skillet. Man that thing can fry some chicken and fish...I have a medium one and a small one. For the shrimp and french fries.

I want a wok. I don't have one.

Do I like to cook??

I love to cook. I will do what ever. When the wife and I move into our house, we will have a true grill to grill some chicken or fish on. and a Bar-B-Que out back to do some smoking.

Go To www.allrecipes.com for some good recipes.

Go to the chicken dishes and select a pasta dish. you will see angle pasta chicken with wine sauce. I tried it. It was Great!!

So if you love to cook to there and get you a recipe.

:D

SMH @ moi

I have a brand new wok and don't know how to use it. Maybe one day I'll learn so it can get put to use.

Originally posted by jelli
I used to love the cook in the OVEN but now my George Foreman Grill is my best friend.

That George Foreman Grill does work wonders.

Man....that GF Grill is dah bomb!

There's 2 here. A big one and a small one.

Half the cook'n time and all the flavor, minus a lot of the fat from your food. It's smoke'n!;)

And errrahhh BlacknBengal:
May I have some of your delicious delights????

U ain't got no rights....:lol:

Where's Lex?

I wanted one of those GFGs and the Omlete maker.

StormofSU I hear you; i be sampling so much while cooking, i be full by time I'm done! (i have never made it through some basic chocolate chip sist- uh, cookies because i love the raw dough and eat it constantly before putting the cookies in the oven! :D )

A general question: what have any of you found to be the best rice cooker? I bought a steamer and it comes the closest to making that real sticky-but-not-fluffy rice just like you get from dem asian places, but I have to do so many special things (place a bowl in the steamer with rice and water covered with aluminum foil) just to get perfect rice,,, but it be PERFECT man! It be so perfect I can actually eat it with chop sticks just like at an asian restaurant. uuuum-um!!

Dtown Jag, did you get a good one or a cheap one? I got a cheap one from, like, Target or somewhere once and everytime I used it and washed it,,, if I didn't immediately dry it, the dang thing rusted on me almost right before my eyes! I said, no more, so while in So Cal. I got an almost $200 dollar thick grey steel wok. It is heavy with thick stainless steel handles. It looks just like when I purchased it right now and I have scrubbed it with everything imaginable.

For best results with a wok, you really need gas and real fire, but an electric stove with a collar (that came with my wok) to direct the heat to the wok is good. The key I have found to using my wok is pre-heating and cooking at high heat if you want restaurant-quality seared/stir-fried dishes, but like i said, you can use a wok just like a skillet or a broiler and it is all good.

To other replies, my Momz got one of dem GF grills and she uses it way more than the stove now days. The angle to drain off grease was a huge idea.

I guess for me the oven, being single, is too much, but i can see some heck-of-a casseroles and things like baked chicken (Mom used to have some way of baking chicken in the oven and putting BBQ sauce on it, and it would be just like it was BBQ'd on the grill, but without the charcoal taste!:eek2: ) from the oven. That's why I like this lil toaster oven; you can broil or bake small portions quickly and without all the heat in the kitchen.

What about those roatisery ovens? :confused: Anybody got/use one of those? how are they?

The one thing I want is one of those big square knives that orientals use for all of their cutting and vegitable prep. I can't find them things NOWHERE!:mad: :redhot:

Errrr, excuse me, but am I the only one up in here who uses a slow cooker? Shoot, I just throw everything in the slow cooker set it on low, and when I get home from work, supper is done.

Originally posted by Bartram
What about those roatisery ovens? :confused: Anybody got/use one of those? how are they?

The one thing I want is one of those big square knives that orientals use for all of their cutting and vegitable prep. I can't find them things NOWHERE!:mad: :redhot:

Man I got one of those rotisserie, and it is the BOMB!!!!
You just set it and forget it.....

Everything is so tender and juicy...

I have cooked everything in that oven...
ribs, chicken, cornish hens, roast, hot dogs, burgers, seafood, veggies, you name it and I will try it....

I tried to get a turkey in that sucker but it was to big, but it will hold a big capon.....

Oh and BARTRAM leave those big square knives to the asians
I think they go to school just to learn how to use them thangs..
I would hate to run up on you and you only have 7 fingers
:lmao: :lmao:

I LOVE TO COOK

I really enjoy cooking. I will cook for hours if I have too. I don't do rush meals. There must be ample amount of cooking time. Usually when I cook, I like to cook a full course meal. The only problem I run into is cooking too much for just one person and having to throw it out. That's why I do a lot of entertaining. My friends come over all the time because they know I'm gonna have it laid out for them.

I'm a country gul so I don't like using many gadgets of today's era. Therefore BARTRAM the way to cook rice is the way my moma has cooked it all my life. Put it in a pot, rinse it, measure the water level with your index finger, let the water boil down, cover it and let it cook on low heat for fifteen minutes. Perfecto. Always perfect, beautiful, fluffy, never sticky.

I do all sauces and gravies from scratch. Never had even seen package gravy until I starting grocery shopping for my self.

Nowadays we do everything in a hurry. We want the quick way out. Sometines you just gotta let the flavor savor and not have to add too much artifical stuff.

Hummmmm

Being the country boy I am and taught how to cook by my mom and three of my five sisters (I can cook better than 2 of them), I now possess a Wok, G. Foreman, Showtime Rotissere, Turbo Cooker, The Big Gumbo Pot, Two Slow Cookers and a Double Propane Burner to go along with all the pots and pans you need.

In four years, I will be opening my own catering business.

Re: I LOVE TO COOK

Originally posted by JSTUS

I'm a country gul so I don't like using many gadgets of today's era. Therefore BARTRAM the way to cook rice is the way my moma has cooked it all my life. Put it in a pot, rinse it, measure the water level with your index finger, let the water boil down, cover it and let it cook on low heat for fifteen minutes. Perfecto. Always perfect, beautiful, fluffy, never sticky.

I do all sauces and gravies from scratch. Never had even seen package gravy until I starting grocery shopping for my self.

Nowadays we do everything in a hurry. We want the quick way out. Sometines you just gotta let the flavor savor and not have to add too much artifical stuff.
I'm with you on this....I just cooked some rice last night in a POT and gravy is alway made from scratch..

What i would like to cook every day

breh, i have heard good things about the slow cooker for, like, pot roasts & such. uugh.

das what be killing me about them rotisseries,,, them chickens & such look so JUICEY! OH MY GOODNESS!!:eek2: I would love to be able to cook fowl like dat too. i would eat much more chicken. As for the square knife,,,, :lmao: yuup,,:D

JSTUS,,,, you got my dang mouth watering.:eek2: I got a friend a work JUST LIKE you. Dis mug be cooking everything you can name,,, for other folk. I, too, run into the problem of cooking and having too much leftover. I like chilli or soup though; das good bulk "eat-for-the-week" type stuff for me.:D

,,, maaaan,, ALCORNITE 86,,,, one of my buds in TX (from Southern, a Baton Rouge, Louisiana native) had us over for a get-together. dude had the big gumbo pot and propane burner going. uuh-some of the stuff i saw in that pop,, i mean,, look like crab legs, chicken parts, buzzard beaks, turtle shells,,,,, ARG! :confused: ,,, BUT I HAD 3 BOWLS OF IT! (,, behind several brews,,,):D (juss joking about the gumbo,, or whatever that was in the big pot.)

gravy from scratch; ,,,, just add flower and maybe a little water to whatever creates broths???

Back