Do any of you have a Single's Ministry in your church?

Originally posted by JSTUS
If so, what is the description of it and what types of things do they do?

Not really, We have a HIT Session- Home Improvement Technique. Which the membership is broken down into classes. There is a class designed for the single member. The Single's Class discuss how a single person should act and how that is backed up through the scripture. For example, Paul writes about how married people must offer themselves to the family first but the singles can dedicate their lives to God and not offend any person.

I loved the class while I was single but when I got married. I graduated to the married class. I missed the fun we had in the class discussing topics from a single point of view. The married class is not as interesting.

The church plans activities for both married couples and singles seperately. They, the singles, go to plays and to different resturants around the city. So, that is about all we do at my church for the Singles. A class and some outages away from the church.

I hope that answered all your questions.

:D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Singles Committee, ministry to come...

The church I go to is a small one (only about 100 members), with mostly families (married w/children). There are less than 10 of us who actually consider ourselves part of the "singles" group, and we are 23-39 years of age, never married, no kids. We have others in our congregation outside of those parameters - in particular youth in the high school and college ages and divorcees with children. But we really haven't been structured enough and diverse enough to include them.

We have a Singles Committee but no actual singles "ministry". As a group, our only dedicated functions so far are monthly outings to local restaurants (called 1st Fridays), and a "Parents' Night Out" on Friday around Christmas so parents can drop their kids off and go shopping (or relax by themselves). Otherwise, we're working. My pastor seems to really have a concern over us and wants to do more with us. Recently, he's assigned us to coordinating donations to missionaries. I don't immediately see why he wanted us to do it, but I see now it's to get us more involved with church business, maybe to prepare us for leadership in the church.

What I'd like to know is some ways for incorporating younger singles and older (probably divorced) singles into activities and starting a real "ministry".

Back