Disappointed in the SWAC

Originally posted by C-LeB28
I know ya'll dumb ass school have soccer idiots. Every time ya'll get, we are all reminded about some National Championship AAMU won back in 1812.

How many men soccer players does AAMU have?

How many women soccer players does AAMU have?

What difference does it make, Einstein????

There is a slim to NONE chance (emphasis on NONE) that the women's roster is bigger than the men's.

There is also a slim to NONE chance that the men's soccer team is LESS THAN 70% from elsewhere.

If you take both of those and use a little COMMON SENSE...you SHOULD be able to deduct that (without the use of firm numbers):

"Most of AAMU soccer players aren't from the US"

And he has the nerve to call someone an IDIOT....:lol:

Once again...carry on, dude. :)

Originally posted by skeewee01
Da Hill you shouldn't make comments unless you know them to be factual. There are about 16 women on the soccer team and 60% of us are American. We are from places such as Georgia. Alabama, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Florida to name a few.
"It is better to allow people to think that you are ignorant than to open your mouth [type a few words] and remove all doubt."

Priceless.

She said it, I didn't.

The flagship of AAMU athletics...

wsoc.gif

I love you skeewee01 :love:

I did not mean to come across rude Da Hill. I apologize. I would never disrespect a Normalite. I just hate generalized statements. To other replies I know that soccer is non-revenue but the SWAC shouldn't write checks they can't cash. A lot of my teammates were recruited by a statement made by the SWAC "There will be full participation in the 2001 school year" so we were like sure this should be cool. Then it didn't happen so they said "Full participation in 2002 and come to find out that won't be happening either." So I am just asking that from now on the SWAC stop selling dreams. Also on the lesser sport comment. Soocer is considered a lesser sport because it has lesser participation and funding. I was using adminisitrative terms. In no means did I mean to downplay the importance of soccer. I apologize for that misunderstanding.
Thank you everyone for your participation in this discussion. Some comments have helped while others were ignored But I think you all.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always gotten."

You make me so proud to be your soror!

Continue to fight for funding of women's sports on the collegiate level...IT'S THE LAW!

I believe the NCAA has a rule limiting the number of foreigners that can be on a school's soccer team to something less than 30 percent. I remember Howard having a championhip taken in the 70s because everyone on the team were foreigners.

Originally posted by SoloMan
I believe the NCAA has a rule limiting the number of foreigners that can be on a school's soccer team to something less than 30 percent. I remember Howard having a championhip taken in the 70s because everyone on the team were foreigners.
this has got to be the funniest post that I have ever read on hear. In that case AAMU would have ZERO national soccer championships and ZERO national indoor and outdoor track championships.

Originally posted by Bandit

This is so wrong. Soccer is played by more kids then football and basketball together in america as far as children 8 - 16 go. Tell me that is not popular.

Do you think that because more kids play soccer than other sports that means that it is going to surpass FootBall, BasketBall, and Baseball? More people play basketball than football, and it is still the most popular sport in this country. Come on man, not even you can be that idiotic. Soccer may be a fun sport to play, and the number of soccer leagues around may be more than all other youth sports. But popularity of sports isn't strictly about who plays those sports. Hell you think most pro and college sports games are populated with people who played those sports, or just fans. Soccer on a pro level has been tried and failed in this country(during Pele's day), and is being tried again right now, and it isn't doing so well now either. I haven't been to a sold out soccer national title game or seen one on sportscenter lately either. And believe me, when the World Cup ends, all this soccer talk will be gone too.

Soccer will never be as popular a sport as Football, Baseball, and Basketball.

we dont like soccer in the SWAC.........I think the SWAC should only have one sport and thats is FOOTBALL!!!! and maybe Basketball....

MONEY,MONEY, MONEY

I am all for women sports, but is an issue of MONEY, MONEY AND MORE MONEY when come to sports. Football at all levels is the largest money maker for ALL schools in America whether it be high school or college. Some say soccer is the wave of the furture, I have to disagree, because look at the European countries, they are cathing on to basketball over in those countries faster than soccer is over here. If there is any sport that will be the wave of the future as a WORLD SPORT, it will be basketball. Basketball by nature is a very exciting sport.
The networks and sponsors are trying to hype soccer up because in the summer, the TV ratings are low,now they need a sport to build up the ratings in the summer. Personally, the soccer commercials are MORE exciting than the soccer game it self. Soccer balls flying through large cities with a trail of fire behind it, accompanied with some hard driving rock music provides for an exciting commercial. Watching soccer is just like watching golf ( WITHOUT TIGER WOODS ), it's boring unless you are playing the games yourself. Right now, soccer is the world sport, but it's days as a world sport is being replaced by the American game of basketball. Women sports in the SWAC, just like any other sport in the conference be it men or women, is supported by football revenue. So the question is, are the football teams in the SWAC finishing at a profit so that their schools can support other programs for both men and women? No! Maybe Southern because of their fan support, but the other schools in the SWAC? No! the SWAC is struggling for money, just like any other HCBU in America.

So how can the SWAC and other HCBU'S get money to fund all sports for D1 programs for men and women? FAN SUPPORT, FAN SUPPORT AND FAN SUPPORT. THAT'S WHERE THE POWER IS, THE FANS. The more money our school make, the more they have to share. Right now, the money the schools make go to bills the schools incurred over the football season. White D1 primetime conferences such as the SEC,PAC10, BIG 10 don't have this problem, because most of their games are sold out before the season starts, and that's for football and basketball!

Hopefully, HCBU students and alumni will learn that season ticket sales and sold out football staduims will solve some of the problems with other sports being funded at their schools, be it men or women.

Let's Be Positive

I feel that purpose of SkeeWee01's post wasn't incite a riot, it was genreated support for her sport (Which I also happen to love). Aside from money issues, this thing isn't about whether we will or will not have soccer, who wants or doesn't want soccer, it's about SUPPORT. One doesn't have to like something to support it, just show and give some positive backing. This is just like supporting a losing team, you may not believe in their abilities but you still go out and support. I mean what do we have to lose by supporting soccer? Since it has already been established that it is a non-revenue sport that is supported by football and basketball what will be lost?

Back