Disappointed in the SWAC

skeewee01

The SWAC is a BIG disappointment!!!!

I am ashamed of the SWAC in their efforts to field Women soccer teams. As a member of the Alabama A&M University Women's soccer team I am disappointed and extremly HURT. The SWAC will never be able to compete with other conferences if they can't get thier ducks in order. We are so stuck on football and basketball that we forget about everything else. We(SWAC lovers) have finally caught on to Volleyball and are catching on to Softball if we could look pass football and basketball we could see that often the best teams at our respective schools are the "lesser" sports. Soccer is the sport of the future whether you want to believe it or not. It is a sport that knows no language barriers. Some of you will say well we can't find players that is GARBAGE!! If AAMU can do it then anyone can. Most African American Soccer players would love to be play on a Black soccer team better yet be apart of history. The next question is money. You say after uniforms and travel we can't pay for scholarships well unlike most male football and basketball players we don't get by in Highschool because we are athletes, therefore we must do our work so we traditionally have excellent grades. Soccer is very much so a sport of intellect and we reflect it as players on and off the field.

My question is what will be the penalty for schools not fielding a team? Will the SWAC give them another chance? Or will the SWAC officials be good "parents" and penalize their children? Good parents no that discipline is a MUST!!!!

Yours truly,
an upset soccer player

Good posts...excellent points made and true feelings expressed.

I hope our administrators accept and realize that in order to be considered a legitimate conference, we must compete in the Women sports and also fund our non-revenue producing sports.

We need AD's and Presidents with the vision to make this happen. Seek corporate sponsorship of our teams in terms of equipment and uniforms. If just one SWAC school would wise up and hire a Marketing Person to take advantage of the tremendous
sports market out there, that school would not only rule the SWAC but be a force in all NCAA!

PV will go on ahead and field one but as for what type of team we're fielding the jury will be out. I know the coach is an ex-basketball player so I don't know what she knows about the game.

As for talent, especially in Texas, your better players are white because not many black girls take the game seriously. If we cannot recruit quality black athletes in Texas we will be forced to go out of state and recruit athletes that may stick around or not. And they cost a lot.

Is soccer worth it? Don't know because the jury is still out.

I played it in HS and found it fun and I studied the game this past fall and found it to be challenging. However, even the top HS programs in the state lose money on soccer because only a few dedicated fans will follow.

say that normalite

I hope in the near future the AAMU Mens/Womens Soccer get some competition.......SWAC competition that is!

SK01 you need to join the DAWGpound! Im sure I can vouch for you;) :idea:;)

What the hell is the world coming to, an AKA playing soccer? I bet I can't find an AKA at TSU that have been to a soccer game or watch one on TV.

skeewee01,

I really appreciate your comments. You made some excellent points. :tup:

BTW, if they're really getting on your nerves, you can always come to Howard. :D

HU Women's Soccer

Also, do you guys have a website for your team?

TSU Fan,

What the hell is the world coming to, an AKA playing soccer?

You ain't never lie. :lmao: :lmao:

skeewee01, no smack on the pink and green, just some reveleations. That's all. ;)

At least the SWAC is entertaining women's soccer as a conference sport. The MEAC is not even in the picture. Outside of Howard and SC State, I'm not sure if any of the other programs even field a soccer team. For years Howard was the only men's program. This is despite the pletora of black soccer players on the east coast (NY, NJ, DC area, GA, FL).

I agree totally that our HBCUs should get in the 'game' when it comes to soccer and other non-traditional sports.

But I think the dominant issue is funding. And it's sad that money is the subject most-discussed when it comes to doing anything at a Black school. But the truth of the matter is that money is still the 'central' issue in the viability of our schools. Most Athletic Departments are already decades, if not generations behind our PWCs in terms of facilities, and other sports related programs. And unless and until soccer or volleyball or golf or track or bowling or baseball and even basketball, become self-sufficient, revenue-generating entities on our campuses, then the road will defintely be rough, when trying to gain respectability.

It takes a committment from alumni and even non-alumni to support our schools financially, regardless of who's in the President's Office, regardless of how well (or bad) the Football team is doing. Seemingly, most alumni can be classified as 'Fair Weather Alumni', because they only give when something's happening specificallly at the school, or when they feel guilty about having not given. And that attitude has to change.

We need people to commit to supporting their school no matter what. And I think the schools can help change these attitudes by showing that the school is there for more than just the students, but for the community. Too many colleges are virtual ghost-towns at night, and on the weekends. Our campuses need to be alive with activity involving the traditional and non-traditional student. Our communities needs to have access to our facilities and libraries and gyms and classroom complexes.. I think our colleges need to get back to being 'pillars' of the community, how they once were.

Then, and only then can we start to make the steps forward in new directions. Not only in offering new sports (like soccer) but in offering new educational programs and opportunites for continuing education.........

Alright, I'm through preaching.....But can I get an AMEN?
:D

most of AAMU's soccer players arent from the US... they are from Nigeria or those islands.

Da Hill you shouldn't make comments unless you know them to be factual. There are about 16 women on the soccer team and 60% of us are American. We are from places such as Georgia. Alabama, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Florida to name a few.
"It is better to allow people to think that you are ignorant than to open your mouth [type a few words] and remove all doubt."

Skeewee,

While I respect you points and wish that the SWAC, including my alma mater, Southern, would get on the bandwagon, I would not use the premise of saying soccer has this type of player while football and basketball players (and you said MOST) get by in HS.

Arguing for soccer is great and I agree, primarily because I went to a HS that didn't have football, basketball, or baseball, but was state champions in tennis, soccer, and sports of that nature. However, the fact that you used the "main" sports to try and push over your argument is wrong.

You have a great sport. The only other sport, to me, with that much history is hockey, but I don't think I will live to see a hockey contest between Southern and Alcorn State, although as an 9 year fan of the sport, I would LOVE it. Promote that. Don't tear the others because in your beginning, they are going to be important to your programs' ability to "get off the ground."

We(SWAC lovers) have finally caught on to Volleyball and are catching on to Softball if we could look pass football and basketball we could see that often the best teams at our respective schools are the "lesser" sports.

Also, as you told someone else, don't make statements like this. You know this is not valid. AND, never call your sport LESSER! You are taking on the attitude that has kept sports like soccer, softball, and golf in the background for too long.

Good luck to you though and keep representing AAMU to the best of your ability!

Originally posted by skeewee01
Da Hill you shouldn't make comments unless you know them to be factual. There are about 16 women on the soccer team and 60% of us are American. We are from places such as Georgia. Alabama, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Florida to name a few.
"It is better to allow people to think that you are ignorant than to open your mouth [type a few words] and remove all doubt."

SLOW YA ROLL shawty.... i said most of AAMU soccer players, I didnt say most of AAMU's womens soccer team.

Da Hill you shouldn't make comments unless you know them to be factual. There are about 16 women on the soccer team and 60% of us are American. "It is better to allow people to think that you are ignorant than to open your mouth [type a few words] and remove all doubt."

:lol: checkmate

You probably thought an AKA would never set your azz straight too, HUH?

:tup:

SKEE WEE, gott dammit, SKEE WEE!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Dahill, as long as your heart pumps Kool-Aid. I don't want to hear another damn thing come out of your mouth!!!

You got checked by an AKA. That's why I love me some AKA's.

You go on ahead skeewee01, you got credit over DH.

It's nothing you can say... nothing. Just take it like a .... damn..... what's that word.... man.... that's right a man. :confused:

I believe she slapped you up side the head with those pearls. :lol:

Originally posted by C-LeB28
Dahill, as long as your heart pumps Kool-Aid. I don't want to hear another damn thing come out of your mouth!!!

You got checked by an AKA. That's why I love me some AKA's.

You go on ahead skeewee01, you got credit over DH.

It's nothing you can say... nothing. Just take it like a .... damn..... what's that word.... man.... that's right a man. :confused:

I believe she slapped you up side the head with those pearls. :lol:

Why are you instigating like a lil girl.... Is it that you are interested in joining her organization. She MISUNDERSTOOD what I was saying.

MIAKA please send help SMH

<b>ROTFLMAO!!!</b>

Weeelllll, Preach sista preach!!!!

Skeewee01,

I am in luv with you! :D

Spinning it like a politician.

When one says "Most of AAMU soccer players" and then comes back to say "I didnt say most of AAMU's womens soccer team".

What's the difference? Are not most of AAMU soccer players the women as well (most meaning the majority right)?

Face it bruh... you got SKEE WEE'D

Girl please....go and play your soccer and be happy. But don't expect for the masses to ever embrace it the way you do. Soccer will never catch on in America to the level of other sports. Don't belive me, see Ice Hockey. And it has been around alot longer than soccer. Yes the majority of the conference is more worried about Football and basketball. But if it wasn't for Football and basketball, you wouldn't have a soccer team. Soccer is a non-revenue sport. And without FB and BB, you wouldn't have a uniform to play in, or a ball to kick.

Truth be told, don't just try and knock the SWAC for not being committed to soccer. It takes time to develop new programs. And soccer in the SWAC is as new as it can get. Besides every conference in America is all about FB and BB, because these are the two beast that fuel the fire. Without them your soccer, golf, tennis, bowling, softball, volleyball and all the other newly created women's sports programs wouldn't exist. So just enjoy your sport, and fight to make sure to stays afloat. Promote it all you want, but don't be fooled into thinking that it will ever be more than what it is. And be sure you get out and support FB and BB because without them, you wouldn't be where you are.

What's the difference? Are not most of AAMU soccer players the women as well (most meaning the majority right)?

No...they are NOT!

Don't forget...me have MEN'S SOCCER, also! :p
And most of those cats usually AREN'T from the states.;)

*that's what happens why you try to be smart...*

:lmao:

Carry on, man...:)

Spinning it like a politician.

When one says "Most of AAMU soccer players" and then comes back to say "I didnt say most of AAMU's womens soccer team".

Face it bruh... you got SKEE WEE'D

dumbass we got a MENS soccer team also. Maybe YOU need to read that lil quote she said because it applies to you 10 TIMES more than it applies to me.

I know ya'll dumb ass school have soccer idiots. Every time ya'll get, we are all reminded about some National Championship AAMU won back in 1812.

How many men soccer players does AAMU have?

How many women soccer players does AAMU have?

Dayum, what is the world comming to. Men getting PIMP Slapped by women up in here over Soccer.

Soccer will never catch on in America to the level of other sports.

This is so wrong. Soccer is played by more kids then football and basketball together in america as far as children 8 - 16 go. Tell me that is not popular.

I know ya'll dumb ass school have soccer idiots. Every time ya'll get, we are all reminded about some National Championship AAMU won back in 1812.

That's about the last time Tex-@ss Sothron won one. Ooops, I forgot. You're barely 50 years old! :eek2:

Back