Derrick Nix Medical Fund

L.J.

Several people have expressed interest in contributing to a fund that has been set up by Southern Miss to help former RB Derrick Nix with his medical bills while he battles kidney ailments. Derrick will need a kidney transplant. Right now the former All-C-USA Preformer is fighting for his life. He is undergoing dyalasis four hours a day, three times a week. He has experienced almost total kidney failuer. He has been treated at UAB Medical Center and at Forrest General in Hattiesburg. Not all of Derricks bill will be covered by his health plan as a football player with the University. He's the son of a Baptist minister, and the cost are high for something like this. If anyone wishes to send a little help to Derrick and his family please send to the address below:

Student Athlete Medical Fund
c/o USM Athletic Foundation
P.O. Box 15458
Hattiesburg, MS 39404

The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) has also set up a fund for Derrick. If anyone would like to contribute through that fund the address is:

Derrick Nix Fund
c/o U of M Foundation
P.O. Box 249
University, MS 38677

Here are a quote from Nix:

"You don't realize how much you mean to people until something happens." Nix said. "I love this university and everybody here. This was kind of tough situation for me to handle at first, but with so much love, it is like I am still playing. I just need another two yards for the first down, and that is how I will persevere and keep on going." - Derrick Nix

Back