Denzel's New Movie "John Q"

Stormy

extradinaire d'auteur
B00005JKWV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This Film Opens Friday.......I'm interested to see Kimberly Elise's performance.
I saw the two of them on Oprah, and I think this movie could possibly get her
a nomination (of some sort).

What have you heard?
Any thoughts?

I saw Denzel on that show "Entertainers" but the guy (Byron Allen) just asked about the nomination for "Training Day".
I'm a huge Denzel fan, so I plan on seeing this regardless, maybe this weekend.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
mmm... Kimberly Elise

Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing Kimberly perform in this as well. This'll be the first time I've seen her since Set It Off. What's she been doing since then!?!??? Or have I just not been to the movies? :confused:

I'm also ready to see Denzel in SOMETHING else to take my mind off of Training Day. That had to be the worst movie I've ever seen him in. That's probably because I wasn't prepared to see him play a bad guy without one shred of moral fiber in him, or it may be the pitiful plot that only serves to shock you. But I hated it. I almost hope he doesn't win the Oscar for it, cause I'd hate to see him do more of that. But, then again, maybe it disturbed me so much cause he played it so well. Whatever :rolleyes:

I'm so in love with this man

I've only heard that Denzel's great in at, as usual. I'll be there with bells on Friday or Saturday.

:ebrow:

Re: mmm... Kimberly Elise

Originally posted by kevdawg
Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing Kimberly perform in this as well. This'll be the first time I've seen her since Set It Off. What's she been doing since then!?!??? Or have I just not been to the movies? :confused:

Wasn't she in Beloved?

Looking at the previews this movie reminds me of the Samuel Jackson movie......

The Negotiator

Another retread theme but with a child needing a operation instead of the cops retirement money:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I thin that it's good that black actors like Denzel get top billing the movies now days. I remember a time not too long ago when the only way that they would show case a black actor in a movie was along side a white star. For example, 48 hours, Deep Cover..e.t.c.

Denzel has come a long way since Carbon Copy.

That had to be the worst movie I've ever seen him in. That's probably because I wasn't prepared to see him play a bad guy without one shred of moral fiber in him,

or it may be the pitiful plot that only serves to shock you.

But I hated it.

I almost hope he doesn't win the Oscar for it, cause I'd hate to see him do more of that.

But, then again, maybe it disturbed me so much cause he played it so well. Whatever :rolleyes:

The man is a great actor, but you didnt enjoy his chracter because youve' typecasted him Kevdawg. Remember....an actor doesnt want that. He has played goody-goody for so long, people expect it every movie. I readily welcome this refreshing change. That's why I respect Brad Pitt so much. Instead of getting caught up in all that sexiest man alive crap....he turned down all those romantic prettyboy lead roles and showed his versatility instead in movies like "Fight Club"and "Kalifornia".

kevdawg,
Kim Elise's major movie credites include:
Set it Off
Beloved
Bait (w/Jamie Foxx)
JOhn Q

Her television credits are:
The Ditchdiggers Daughters(1997)
The Loretta Claiborne Story(2000)
Bojangles(2001)

When in doubt go to: http://www.imdb.com

Now with that aside, please don't put Denzel in a box....the brother has the right and responsibility to play diverse roles. The fact that he has chosen to protray some the most prolific Black men in history should not exclude him from playing a moral leech...it's called acting. I didn't like the role, but I have to respect to masterful way the brother played it. That role garners even more respect since I know he had to ACT to pull it off. You know women get upset when you say anything bad about Denzel...;) .

Biff,
I agree with you 100% about Brad Pitt. He refuses to get caught up in himself...and that's honorable.

Fiyah,
I thought the same thing when I saw the first commecials. However rarely is thier a distinctly "new" movie idea....at this point it's all been down. Almost every movie this year has been a rehashing of some prior theme. The Negotiator(1998), could be considered a loose knockoff of Eddie Murphy's Metro (1997). At least this movie isn't about the negotiator, it's about a man that has nothing to do with the field. At any rate, it's all relative, and the only thing that matters is how well you do it.
-Astrya

Re: Re: mmm... Kimberly Elise

Originally posted by BluBlood
Wasn't she in Beloved?

Hey, sure was! I forgot about that one. She was pretty good, too.

Originally posted by BIFF
The man is a great actor, but you didnt enjoy his chracter because youve' typecasted him Kevdawg. Remember....an actor doesnt want that. He has played goody-goody for so long, people expect it every movie. I readily welcome this refreshing change.

I respect Denzel's acting abilities and believe that it was because he played the part so well that the character irked me so. I mean, the man had absolutely no moral fiber whatsoever. I think he was very convincing playing that part, and it was certainly a departure from what he's done before. I don't just want to see him doing "goody-goody" - some of my favorite roles from him were flawed characters, such as his parts in Glory, Mo Better Blues, even Malcom X (his life before converting to Muslim). He doesn't have to be a perfect do-gooder in my book, but all perfect, unsurmountable evil just doesn't work for me.

I don't dislike this movie just because of Denzel's role (though that's part of it). I dislike this movie because there's absolutely no turnaround, no redemption, and all scenes are played out to absolutely shock the viewer (& Denzel helped bring that out flawlessly). I found it hard to take solace in that Ethan Hawke got away in the end because of how harshly things played out beforehand. It was a movie about what bitterness and depravity people reach when they run out of hope. I just wish the only example of hope (Hawke) would have come out bruised but still believing. He seemed defeated. And that didn't sit well with me.

I think it's gonna be a great movie!! It's really gonna show that the love for your kids is truly unmeasureable!

I also want to see "I am Sam".

We saw it Friday....

It was a very good movie, I recommend that everyone see it. The film was dripping with social importance and it will make you go through your insurance papers very carefully.

What I really Liked:
Denzel's character was a regular guy.

He was doing all he could for his family.

He was willing to trade in his life for his son.

Eddie Griffin's character which said what ever black person in the theatre was thinking in regaurd to Denzels's decision to end his own life.

The fact the Kim Elise's Character was Ride or Die for Denzel (When they wanted to grill her she shut them down)

The scene when Denzel tried to tell his son everything he would need to know in life in five minutes (That was a tear jerker material if I've ever seen it).

1 thing I didn't like that much:
The fact that the two sisters were harsh....to say the least with the brothers. (Even though their were extenuating circumstances)
Even though I know it was absolutely neccesary for Kim Elise's character to be that way to set up the motivation for Denzel(I didn't like it). But a mothers first instinct is to protect their children, and in that respect...I guess she reacted only in that interest.

Troy Beyer's character was in labor and was under extreme pain. (So I'll excuse her)

Now if I can just muster up the energy to see "Monster's Ball". I've been avoiding Halle's love scene with Billy Bob, but I want to see how good her performance is.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Check out the #'s Baby!

1. John Q $24,100,000.00
2. Crossroads $17,000,000.00
3. Return to Neverland $16,100,000.00
4. Big Fat Liar $25,400,000.00
5. Collateral Damage $29,300,000.00
6. A Beautiful Mind $125,900,000.00
7. Hart's War $9,000,000.00
8. Black Hawk Down $96,600,000.00
9. Super Troopers $7,300,000.00
10. Snow Dogs $68,400,000.00