Dennis Weaver of "Gunsmoke" has passed.

RIP Dennis! Man, a lot of the older civil rights leaders, actors, comedians and athletes are leaving us!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
buckwheat1911 said:
RIP Dennis! Man, a lot of the older civil rights leaders, actors, comedians and athletes are leaving us!

It's interesting that you say this...he was qouted as wanting to leave Gunsmoke when they cast Burt Reynolds as a native American. He felt they should have a REAL Native American playing the role. Yet, the producers of Gunsmoke felt that viewers were not ready to see racism on TV yet.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
It's interesting that you say this...he was qouted as wanting to leave Gunsmoke when they cast Burt Reynolds as a native American. He felt they should have a REAL Native American playing the role. Yet, the producers of Gunsmoke felt that viewers were not ready to see racism on TV yet.

Uh DSN, Burt Reynolds is part native American. I remember watching a documentary on him on how he got ridiculed for his dark looks growing up in Florida.

JR said:
Uh DSN, Burt Reynolds is part native American. I remember watching a documentary on him on how he got ridiculed for his dark looks growing up in Florida.

Ridiculed...the dude was a jock in Florida.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Ridiculed...the dude was a jock in Florida.

He was a kid when that happen.....and do you realize that this was Florida back in the day. I am not talking about his time at FSU. But his teen years. You do know how old Burt is? That's like saying Gale Sayers who was a jock at Kansas never had anybody call him the N word back then. You know it happened. Jock or no Jock and in Florida back then you know dang well them good ole boys called him names for being too dark and because of his heritage. Besides this is what Burt said in the documentary I watched.

Back