Deadly Cancer

My aunt died of complications from cancer that had matasticized.

Get your check ups often. Early detection is your best defense. Also, women do regular breast self-examinations. Eat right and exercise.

Years ago, I lost a 37 year old brother-in-law to cancer. My sister and their 14 year old son were left in a bad situation, but ofcourse, the Grace of God carried them through as time healed their wounds to a certain extent.

Prior to that, I once had a conversation with a group of people that were comparing the future effects of AIDS on the world with the effects of the Bubonic plague of the 1300's. The Bubonic plague, or "black plague" as some called it, killed over 25 million people in a five year span in Western Asia and Europe. The Italian writer Boccaccio said its victims often "ate lunch with their friends and dinner with their ancestors in paradise."

The thought of widespread AIDS had us panicking at the time, as this was the mid-80s, and we had no where near the knowledge of HIV and AIDS as we have now. Be that as it may, we were all thinking "AIDS:the modern day black plague".

However, while my brother-in-law was in the hospital, I met many cancer patients and coincidentally after that, several people that I knew were diagnosed with cancer. On top of that, my parents told me that many of their friends and family members, that I never knew, had died of cancer in the past. They would always talk about these people but we never talked about their death and what caused them to die. The list seemed endless. I was thinking to myself, "did all of yall's peoples die of cancer?"

Shortly after my brother-in-law passed away, I came to the realization that cancer is more comparable to the black plague than AIDS for one reason: It can't be prevented. It just "shows up". Like the black plague during the 1300's, there is no way to prevent cancer. AIDS, on the other hand, can be prevented.

In some cases, cancer can be treated. I have a 35 year old cousin who has gone through cancer treatment on 4 different occassions. On the last "go round" he had a stem cell transplant to try and eliminate the cancer for good instead of going through Chemotherapy once again. That was 2 1/2 years ago and so far there is no sign of cancer in his body. However, there are so many others, like my brother-in-law, who didnt get a warning because the cancer snuck up on them like the black plague.

I fell to mention about my tragedy of this deadly thing! Recently, I'v lost a greataunt about two weeks ago. It was really hard for my mother to get over, because it was her mother's sister. About five years ago my greataunt's husband died over the same thing. I would say all-in-all I've lost three cousins over the past years. I am sooo scared, because it runs on my mothers side of the family. But, I guess I have to deal with it if it comes!!!:( :(

Having to see someone go through a battle with cancer is rough. One of my grandmothers had leukemia at the age of 70 and they couldn't do a bone marrow transplant because of age. The doctors did another procedure and I am not sure what it was, but the idea was to get the bone marrow to regenerate it self, it didn't work and she passed away in great pain. One day (maybe not in our lifetime) there will be a cure but just like any other disease, awareness is the key.
L.A. to LA until 92' true JAG through and through!

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
My aunt died of complications from cancer that had matasticized.

Get your check ups often. Early detection is your best defense. Also, women do regular breast self-examinations. Eat right and exercise.

I have had some close experiences (with benign and malignent tumors) with those that I know and know well that has allowed me to gain some knowledge. Trust me.

I had an aunt that died from complications from breast cancer in 1996. Her sister who held her (the one that passed from breast cancer) in her arms was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 12 months later and died about 20 months after the diagnosis. BTW both were my mother's sisters.

I do not want to scare anyone. But the one who died from pancreatic cancer did go for monthly checkups.

Ms. J4J has it right. One chances of surviving will increase if they follow that advice. I would also say educate yourselves. Know the seven warning signs. If you see a growth, go and see a doctor. Yes, the tumor maybe benign or then maybe not. But still go and see a doctor. You will not know until the doctor tells you.

Also, one should have a positive attitude. I will explain later.

Hmmmm...

If I were to have posted 2 months ago, I wouldn've been positive nor would I have been at ease.

My lil' 4 year old was diagnosed w/ leukemia some 2 months ago and w/ that type of prognosis, I can assure you that I'm a changed man. She's doing chemo and appears to be on track for full recovery (advances in medicines/drugs/treatments have allowed this). Even now, I'm MORE changed since learning some 2 weeks ago that my eldest uncle has only 4-6 mos to live as he has terminal cancer that is in its final stage :(. When I talk to him, the FIRST person that he inquires about is my daughter. He doesn't even want to talk nor refer to his condition at all.

Inner strength, emotional support, intestinal fortitude (there it is again), faith, spiritual strength, ... are things that I've personally relied on as of l8 (for a LONG time).

From the MASSIVE research that I've done as of l8, it's not something that's caught. It just.... happens. Hereditary implications are there if it runs in your family, but, there is no clear connectivity to sustain that theory. The human body is a very, very, very complex structure. The ONE thing that I've literally lived by as of l8 is that you REALLY are what you eat. Put mess in, your body will mess. Don't exercise and take care of self, your body will let you down in some shape, form, or fashion.

Cancer, diabetes, sickle cell, high blood pressure, ... so many things that can cause the human body to go astray and all of us are at risk. No matter the age or ethnicity (except for sickle cell which is primarily or exclusively an AA condition).

Back