"De College Drop-out"? so college is bad huh?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
well,,, i'm glad to see there's no significant praising of Kayne West on his 10 grammy nominations for this.

what do kids think listening to this over and over and over?? well, guess you better have a strong home foundation huh?

you know what folks,,, i'm really not wanting to get in an argument with anyone here,,, but black people (some) in this country have got to be some of the most stupid idiots on the planet. how is it that we can embrace and celebrate stuff like this? this is amazing. here we are pleading with our kids and generations of us to do good in school, go to college so on and so forth, and then stuff like this wins 10 grammys or whatever and is praised and celebrated on BET and of coarse MTV/CNN/E!/etc. i'm just paralyzed with my eyes open and tung haning out barely breathing like a big water fncking buffalo shot with a tranquilizer dart on Wild Kingdom after this one.

like i said, i don't wanna argue with anyone on this one way or the other, to each his own. i'm just expressing my opinion/disgust on the matter. this is incredible. now i see how older folk felt when I was listening to LL Cool J, Onyx, 2Live Crew and they were railing against stuff they thought was stupid. I was interested to see if you TSPNers were celebrating this guys's nominations. I've got his album, by the way, and I was sad I bought it. i'm a music fanatic too, that's what makes it even worse, and how it seems like the most outlandish, stupid crap can win the most is just amazing. it has got to be a conspiracy,, and i'm not into conspiracies. alright, i'm done.

yeah, i know we take this with grains of salt,, but do all of black society?

I fell ya Bart, but in Kanye's defense, he chose to name his album "College Dropout" because of his commitment to his music, and for him school was hindering that. If you listen to his album there are no songs that belittle college or the college experience. One of my favorite songs off the album is School Spirit- a song that conveys his tough experience at Chicago State while at the same time glorifying Black Greek Letter Organizations.

During album promotion, Kanye was very adamant about students who're considering dropping out to remain in school if they don't have a clear-cut plan and a goal of what it is they want to accomplish once they leave.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I am not a Kanye fan....in fact, I think he sucks but he did defend the title of his album and to me it makes sense but not everyone can be a superstar and do what he did.

His album is ridiculously laced with not funny skits - especially the ones ragging a past smart classmate who works in a coffee shop, or the guy who died with many degrees. His defense of the album was pointless when his rhetoric demeans his college experience. Kids emulate his dress, I'm sure the misguided ones may try to copy his lifestyle as well.

I hope he gets India.Aried at the Grammys.

I've never heard his album, b/c I don't purchase rap/hip-hop music...but, from the sounds of it, I haven't missed much.

jagface said:
I hope he gets India.Aried at the Grammys.

:D Never heard it put that way..... I'mma start using that (India.Arie'd):D:D

But he might win one maybe two but he won't win all 10. Too many Ushers, Beyoncee's and Alicia Keys' in there for that to happen....

:dude:

Well you see it's like this bart, everyone is not college material. Yeah it is important that our younger generations continue their education and be a prosperous productive citizen in our communities. You also have to look at it in the sense that he is being a productive citizen and as long as he is doing something positive that our young generations can look up to, then I will applaude him. Bill Gates is a college dropout, do you think he deserves the recognition he deserves. YES. Even though we see that the superstars are dropouts, it becomes our responsibilty to let the kids in our community know that those people just happened to be fortunate enough to make it, not everyone gets that opportunity.
But yeah I will give him his props and no I am not a fan of his. Really don't know anything about his music.

Let the guy talk about HIS experience. College is not the garuanteed way to success and some not all but some of us waste time there because we are told thats the only way. Micheal Dell, the cats that created Napster, Bill Gates (if I'm not mistaken) all dropped out of school.

I have not listened to his album either and pretty much don't like him as a person but I hope you all aren't just looking at the fact that he is a rapper and not listening to the message. There ARE plenty of people will all kinds of degrees that really aren't benefiting from them. There are people who were book smart in college but don't have the sense to make money out of it.

Everyone has to build their empire by their own means.

Blaque Prince is right, college is not for everybody, you can be successful if you stay firm on your goal. Music was Kanye's. :read:
But by my opinion knowledge is much more powerful than music. :mrt:
:lecture:
I stay firm on my goal, but I may not be as remembered as Kanye West in the future, or will I. You'll never know... :cool:

"Child Of The Night"

I didn't know the name of his album was "College DropOut". I don't buy his music. If my kid listens to it, they are more than welcomed. However, Bill Gates (Microsoft founder) and Micheal Dell (founder of Dell Computers) are both college dropouts. Majority of America's millionaires are "College Dropouts". I'm not going to back dropping out of college by any means, nor will I degrade it.

Bartram said:
well,,, i'm glad to see there's no significant praising of Kayne West on his 10 grammy nominations for this.

what do kids think listening to this over and over and over?? well, guess you better have a strong home foundation huh?

you know what folks,,, i'm really not wanting to get in an argument with anyone here,,, but black people (some) in this country have got to be some of the most stupid idiots on the planet. how is it that we can embrace and celebrate stuff like this? this is amazing. here we are pleading with our kids and generations of us to do good in school, go to college so on and so forth, and then stuff like this wins 10 grammys or whatever and is praised and celebrated on BET and of coarse MTV/CNN/E!/etc. i'm just paralyzed with my eyes open and tung haning out barely breathing like a big water fncking buffalo shot with a tranquilizer dart on Wild Kingdom after this one.

like i said, i don't wanna argue with anyone on this one way or the other, to each his own. i'm just expressing my opinion/disgust on the matter. this is incredible. now i see how older folk felt when I was listening to LL Cool J, Onyx, 2Live Crew and they were railing against stuff they thought was stupid. I was interested to see if you TSPNers were celebrating this guys's nominations. I've got his album, by the way, and I was sad I bought it. i'm a music fanatic too, that's what makes it even worse, and how it seems like the most outlandish, stupid crap can win the most is just amazing. it has got to be a conspiracy,, and i'm not into conspiracies. alright, i'm done.

yeah, i know we take this with grains of salt,, but do all of black society?

I dont listen to rap music. I barely know this guy, I think he did a rap on Janet Jackson's last album (CD for you young people..
:) )

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
Let the guy talk about HIS experience. College is not the garuanteed way to success and some not all but some of us waste time there because we are told thats the only way. Micheal Dell, the cats that created Napster, Bill Gates (if I'm not mistaken) all dropped out of school.

I have not listened to his album either and pretty much don't like him as a person but I hope you all aren't just looking at the fact that he is a rapper and not listening to the message. There ARE plenty of people will all kinds of degrees that really aren't benefiting from them. There are people who were book smart in college but don't have the sense to make money out of it.

Everyone has to build their empire by their own means.

:tup:

Bartram said:
you know what folks,,, i'm really not wanting to get in an argument with anyone here,,, but black people (some) in this country have got to be some of the most stupid idiots on the planet.

how is it that we can embrace and celebrate stuff like this? this is amazing. here we are pleading with our kids and generations of us to do good in school, go to college so on and so forth, and then stuff like this wins 10 grammys or whatever and is praised and celebrated on BET and of coarse MTV/CNN/E!/etc.

You know Bart, you post that you don't want to start an argument, then you turn right around and post some bullschit like that mess above. :smh: Do you really think that ANYONE on this forum advocates dropping out of college? Why in hell would we? Most of us are products of the HBCUs represent here within, and certainly as such, we'd be the last ones to stand by such a mindset. After all, our colleges and universities were founded to offer opportunities for education that we otherwise would not have been granted.

What bothers me about this post (as with MOST of yours,) is this continuing self-hatred that seems to consume you. While you post about those who buy Kanye's music, you conveniently omitted the WHITE COMMUNITY, who have been buying and listening to hip-hop in major numbers. I'm willing to bet that over half of Kanye's fans are of the paler hue. Why did not mention that (SOME) OF them have to be some of the stupidest people on the planet? Why grant them a pass on their stupidity since they somehow have contributed to Kanye West's popularity (and riches) as much as black folks?

Do you and Armstrong Williams have some kind of self-hate club going, and if so, how many others like yourselves are there, and do you have annual conventions or something? Sheeeesh!! :smh: :smh:

The album is good. As a doctoral student he defends his reasons for dropping out of college. Though I disagree with him dropping out because hisotry shows us that African Americans died trying to get us the rights to go to any college. Yet, college is not for everyone; I just ask that you become a productive citizen if you choose other means.

AAMU Alum said:
You know Bart, you post that you don't want to start an argument, then you turn right around and post some bullschit like that mess above. :smh: Do you really think that ANYONE on this forum advocates dropping out of college? Why in hell would we? Most of us are products of the HBCUs represent here within, and certainly as such, we'd be the last ones to stand by such a mindset. After all, our colleges and universities were founded to offer opportunities for education that we otherwise would not have been granted.

What bothers me about this post (as with MOST of yours,) is this continuing self-hatred that seems to consume you. While you post about those who buy Kanye's music, you conveniently omitted the WHITE COMMUNITY, who have been buying and listening to hip-hop in major numbers. I'm willing to bet that over half of Kanye's fans are of the paler hue. Why did not mention that (SOME) OF them have to be some of the stupidest people on the planet? Why grant them a pass on their stupidity since they somehow have contributed to Kanye West's popularity (and riches) as much as black folks?

Do you and Armstrong Williams have some kind of self-hate club going, and if so, how many others like yourselves are there, and do you have annual conventions or something? Sheeeesh!! :smh: :smh:

:read: :read: :read:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Kanye is talented....I think he is deserving of his nominations even with the name of his album. Also, even if Alicia Keys wins...Kanye basically wins. He produced "You Don't Know My Name".

....I don't have Kanye's CD, but I've heard it, and it's not bad. Actually it's a pretty intelligent piece of work, and one of the best hip-hop cd's to come out in a long time.

In this instance I echo AAMU Alum's sentiments, and though you say you don't want an argument, you ask questions, and then you down our race, because of something you don't agree with? We're idiots because a music that was created by us (hip-hop), and by in large by college dropouts, is supported by us, and you're mad because it's celebrated, and receiving honors because of the title?

No wonder college dropouts Russell Simmons, Sean Combs, Percy Miller, Sean Carter, and Damon Dash, are profiting off of music, clothes, television, and movies, because black people are some of the most stupid idiots on the planet.

I'm glad all of those NFL players that dropped out of college to earn millions, and NBA players that chose not to go to college to earn millions, are good role models. Cuz Kanye West, is now encouraging kids not to go to college, or dropout.

Keep fighting the good fight Bart. :bowdown: :rolleyes:

NICE

This amaze how the first we say is I don't listen to rap well I'm 35 and I listen to rap you criticize rap for using b's and hoe's, than people like Kanye make songs like Jesus Walks and All Fall Down and you say we shouldn't support him will I support anybody who is willing to step on a limb to create quaility art.

Po' Bart. I think he'd just like to see Black Americans more conservative(in how they act, live etc.) & the truth be told - some black folks ain't trying to hear it. Sometimes you just gotta do what you do & see everybody else thru rose-colored glasses otherwise, many things will offend(some.) Pearsonally, I'm Ultra-conservative & choose not to relate to a lot of things(i.e. drugs.) I realize; however, that most folks aren't & try not to focus on it.

Well you know what ASU2002, if you are not college material, that's fine. Why do you have to berate college if you are not college material? Even as ruthless and smack-oriented as the TSPN is I see little to no derrogatory commentary on here berating people that don't choose to go to college. I don't hear those who may have some type of college background making music that berates those who are not college material. No matter how you try to spin it, making fun of people or the concept of getting more education is absolutely stupid, assinine, not productive and one of the main problems with our stupid-arse "blame our problems on everybody else but us" black society. I have 0 respect for KW for that. does/will he want his kids NOT getting an education?

Bigtyme2 I have no problem with the jesus walk song. i have a problem with the guy belittling getting an education. he didn't have to go there is all i'm saying. to me it seems like the "playa hatin'" i've seen among blacks when people are successful going the college route by those who didn't go the college route.

Yeah D-nice, he does have some good stuff on the album, tis why i'm paralyzed as to why he most take potshots and cheapshots at getting an education. what good does that serve? again i will say, i see 0 reason for, and there is no defense of, a black artist who is massively influential on the minds of young kids to berated/degrade/ridicule education and we as black people lap it up,, but then complain and belly-ache about not having opportunities, everybody beez holdin' us back, weez don't gets an equal shot/opportunity. it really sickens me and reminds me of morons in elementary who used to say, "oh you trying to be white?" just because you made all As on your report card. this is all so stupid to me if we really buy into mess like what KW is saying to berate education especially when it is painfully clear that more people will make it/be successful going the education rought than going the artist/rapping/singing route.

jagface said:
Kids emulate his dress.....

How is this a bad thing? He doesn't dress like the typical rapper or teenager for that matter. the guy actually wears a belt. Dayum you Kanye..

Anyway, back to the original post. the majority of you who are commenting about this album have never even heard the album, and that is enough for me to know that you don't know what the h-e-l-l you are talking about. Before you judge a book by its cover, or in this case the artist by is CD title, you may want to at least listen to what the man has to say. As a person who doesn't buy much rap because I can't relate to the "gansta" and street lifestyle, I think Kanye was a breath of fresh air. And as for the title of his album, he explains it all the time. But if you have never heard the album, I guess expecting you to have heard anything the man has to say is a mute point. As others have said collge is not for everyone. We all have to recognize that for certain career paths college is ot even an option. For many of us here on this board we have such a slighted opinion about college and we often tend to stick our noses and degrees in the air as if saying that we have a degree we are somehow better than those that don't (which is another issue that Kanye discusses on the album). Don't get me wrong, I am very proud and arrognat about my education. Without it I would not have been able to pursue my chosen profession, but I am also smart enough to recognize that my path is not the path that every man can or should take. A degree doesn't make you a sucess, and not having one does not make you a failure.

Back