Dallas' Paul Quinn College loses accreditation

skyvolt2000

When a sad day for HBCUs

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/DN-paulquinn_26met.ART.State.Edition2.4bdf424.html

Paul Quinn College has lost its accreditation because of financial and academic problems, officials said Thursday – a devastating blow that jeopardizes the future of the tiny liberal arts college in southern Dallas.

Colleges need accreditation to award degrees and offer students federal financial aid. That seal of approval is also usually needed for student credits to transfer to other colleges.

It ultimately could force Paul Quinn's 440 students to find another school.

"They had made progress ... but they ran out of time before they could come into compliance on everything," said Belle Wheelan, president of the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

Paul Quinn, one of eight historically black colleges in Texas, was put on probation two years ago. It still fell short in three areas: financial resources, financial stability and institutional effectiveness – essentially a college's ability to teach students what they need to know.

Paul Quinn had failed a federal test of financial responsibility, based on last fiscal year. Colleges in that situation face extra federal scrutiny and must post letters of credit so they can continue to receive and award federal student aid.

It's unusual for colleges to lose accreditation. Wheelan said the last time that happened with her agency was in 2007, with St. Andrews Presbyterian College in North Carolina, also because of financial problems. Later, however, a federal judge ordered the accrediting agency to reinstate the school's accreditation.

Sorrell is Paul Quinn's fifth college president since 2001. A businessman, lawyer and political consultant, Sorrell was widely considered the best shot at turning around the long-struggling school.

In two years, he has instituted a number of changes, including a business-casual dress code, tougher academic standards and more aggressive recruiting.

They knew their days were number when University of North Texas opened a school down the street.

same campus....but private money....

no way there should not be an HBCU in Dallas

Colored people (some natives) in this area are very apathetic to HB anything tbf. :read: They "speak" 'smoo' (SMU), UNT/TWU/TCU/and some even Baylor... but their $$$ and their grades speak otherwise. :read: (wreaks of stupidity IMO)

When UNT opened their deal LITERALLY almost down the street from them and their enrollment increased from ~75 ppl to 1844 (spr 2008) coupled w/ a new 76,000 square foot facility, I knew that it was a matter of time before PQC's demise was evident. :( Colored ppl here seem to be caught up in "name-branding," which is quite sad IMO. But, this is their fight and their right to give up access to something that could've benefitted the entire NTx community. :smh:

Not sure if all are (were) aware or not... They "quietly" got this accomplished and not a word of reprisal I did find. Simply amazing and using state coffers to fund their effort: :read:

The University of North Texas Dallas Campus became a stand-alone institution May 27 after Gov. Rick Perry signed Senate Bill (SB) 629, which allows three university system centers in the state to expand into full-fledged universities. The bill also allows the schools to issue tuition revenue bonds (TRBs) to pay for new facilities.

For the UNT Dallas Campus, which will open as the University of North Texas at Dallas and <b>begin accepting freshmen and sophomores in 2010, <font color="red"><u>the bill means the release of $25 million in TRBs to fund a second building on the school’s 264-acre campus</font></u></b>.

<a href="http://www.unt.edu/unt-dallas/news/Perry_signs_bill_making_UNT_Dallas_independent.htm">Source</a> :smh:

Dallas ain't Houston.....Dallas is more cutthroat as it has more of a national presence due to companies with regional offices...as a result, you got folks from all over the place moving in there with no ties to HBCUS compared more in Houston

Dallas ain't Houston.....Dallas is more cutthroat as it has more of a national presence due to companies with regional offices...as a result, you got folks from all over the place moving in there with no ties to HBCUS compared more in Houston

It's very diverse in that non-natives are mostly on the outside looking in (certain positions of power in major corps) and it's still relatively segregated in certain specific areas. Dallas lacks curb "appeal" to me though but it does have quite a bit of career/financial appeal. I like the locale because it keeps me just far enough away not to be bothered w/ homefolx but it's very, very cliquish here. I'm still looking for Black folx to integrate the northwestern corridor so these white folx will stop giving me that "look" like they wanna' put a burning cross in the front yard. lol (near TMS)

It's very diverse in that non-natives are mostly on the outside looking in (certain positions of power in major corps) and it's still relatively segregated in certain specific areas. Dallas lacks curb "appeal" to me though but it does have quite a bit of career/financial appeal. I like the locale because it keeps me just far enough away not to be bothered w/ homefolx but it's very, very cliquish here. I'm still looking for Black folx to integrate the northwestern corridor so these white folx will stop giving me that "look" like they wanna' put a burning cross in the front yard. lol (near TMS)

Dallas is superior to Houston when it comes to aesthetics but when it comes to the Black community, I've found that the city is a magnet for black people who probably weren't isht in their own hometowns to come and re-invent themselves. When it comes to being a good place for Blacks, Houston wins hands down. I think thats because Houston has pretty much always had a more educated Black middle class with the proximity of PV, and later on TSU. There is more interest in the nuts and bolts of HBCU affairs....not just the "glitz" of showing up at one football game.

Black community, I've found that the city is a magnet for black people who probably weren't isht in their own hometowns to come and re-invent themselves.

you damn right....trust me...you would be surprised how many folks I saw would act like they live in Vegas becasue they are in Dallas and you're not and somewhere smaller. Especially when I was in North Louisiana...

When it comes to being a good place for Blacks, Houston wins hands down. I think thats because <font color="red">Houston has pretty much always had a more educated Black middle class</font> with the proximity of PV, and later on TSU. There is more interest in the nuts and bolts of HBCU affairs....not just the "glitz" of showing up at one football game.

SAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

Hands down, NOT even CLOSE. :tup: :bowdown:

Let me stop before I start another H-D war of sorts. lol

I only caught bits of this but it looks like there will be a rally for the school this Saturday at the school.

no way there should not be an HBCU in Dallas

Well one could survive if it was in a better location. Quinn is in a BAD location and the churches and police that work in that area will tell you that.

UNT down the street is at a better spot near the freeway and a single bus line. Also there are NO APARTMENTS near it. So they avoid certain folks unlike PQ. Nor does it share its land with Dallas/Texas Can.

PQ doesn't go after folks. Dallas Community colleges wants kids so bad that they built new locations in Pleasant Grove and Oak Cliff to get students via DISD.

That's another thing it's hard to get kids when your school district has a 43% graduation rate. All your grads are already taken by PWCs or community colleges.

Paul Quinn College in Dallas loses accreditation appeal

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/082509dnmetquinn.1103cde76.html

Paul Quinn College lost an appeal Monday to stay accredited, but a lawyer said the private Dallas college won't give up and intends to take its fight to federal court.

Paul Quinn, North Texas' only historically black college, needs accreditation to award degrees and for students to receive financial aid.

In June, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools voted to strip Paul Quinn's accreditation because it failed to meet one educational and two financial standards. College leaders appealed, saying that they corrected those problems and that the association acted on bad or incomplete information.

A 12-member appeals committee sided with the association.

"Throughout the process, the institution (Paul Quinn) bears the burden of proof. The institution failed to meet its burden," wrote Charles L. Shearer, chairman of the appeals committee and president of Transylvania University in Kentucky.

Belle Wheelan, president of the association's Commission on Colleges, said the group had to consider Paul Quinn's long-term financial health and not just the balance at the end of one year

A few of the coments left on the page
[QUOTE
Where are all the alumni? Are they not interested in helping the school at all? It's a shame to let the school just fall by the wayside like this. And going to federal court? The kids that are going there now don't have time for that. Such a shame.

[/QUOTE]

I am a non-traditional college student who worked in a variety of fields in corporate America for over 25 years in both human resources and recruiting. Not once did any company I worked for even consider a degree from an online University. We also did not consider degrees from HBC's or Division II or lower schools. The prevailing line of thinking in the recruiting world is that Division I schools afford a better quality education, thus you hire better qualified graduates. That's just the way it is and it's not likely to change. I'm sick of the race card. Study, work hard, and you can go to a college where you can find work after graduation. The government cannot subsidize intelligence and initiative.

Great news and keep it closed so the students have to go somewhere else and get a real education. Why do we still have black colleges? Just like everybody else in the US, they live among a diverse population so they should go the schools like everyone else so that they learn to compete and interact with the entire society, otherwise their education lacks credibility.

:noidea: Fall classes do not start until Oct. 5. Perhaps by that time it'll be lifted.

Judge: Paul Quinn College can stay accredited as lawsuit proceeds

Paul Quinn College can stay accredited while it pursues a lawsuit against its accrediting agency in federal district court, college representatives announced Thursday.
A judge in U.S. District Court in Atlanta granted the private Dallas college a preliminary injunction that restores its membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The body voted to strip Paul Quinn's accreditation in June after the college failed to meet one academic and two financial standards.
"The injunction allows Paul Quinn to continue serving students and the community in its full capacity, and represents another step toward securing the long-term future of this college," said William Brewer, whose Dallas firm is representing Paul Quinn pro bono.

Paul Quinn, a historically black college, unsuccessfully appealed its loss of accreditation. On Tuesday, college representatives filed the federal lawsuit.

SOURCE: Dallas Morning News

Re: Paul Quinn College in Dallas loses accreditation appeal

We also did not consider degrees from HBC's or Division II or lower schools.
Great news and keep it closed so the students have to go somewhere else and get a real education. Why do we still have black colleges? Just like everybody else in the US, they live among a diverse population so they should go the schools like everyone else so that they learn to compete and interact with the entire society, otherwise their education lacks credibility.

Those comments prove that there is a difference between a racist and being prejudice. A racism comes into play when you intentionally discriminate and hold you back. They don't even think what they said is racist which is the sad part. Why must we always integrate? Sad!!!!!

Last edited:

Back