Cycling

M~,

Girl, all I can do is shake your hand next time I see you, cuz I ain't cycling for nobody. :emlaugh: I was watching those cyclist on the Olympics over the w/e. I was so impressed. I can only ride a bike for a few minutes and I'm done.

LOL

Back to Cycling

So...for Christmas I was given a hybrid ladies bike...I LOVE IT!!! BUT...I cant seem to get the gears going?! If that makes sense. Today was my first time at it in 3 mos so it was challenging and at times it seemed like i was spinning in place.

Question: Are the gears meant for more or less resistance? Meaning if I up the level of the gears should I feel it more in my legs or less?? And whats the functionality of the back gear vs front gear?

Re: Back to Cycling

So...for Christmas I was given a hybrid ladies bike...I LOVE IT!!! BUT...I cant seem to get the gears going?! If that makes sense. Today was my first time at it in 3 mos so it was challenging and at times it seemed like i was spinning in place.

Question: Are the gears meant for more or less resistance? Meaning if I up the level of the gears should I feel it more in my legs or less?? And whats the functionality of the back gear vs front gear?

Your bike probably has three rings in the front and 8-9 in the back.

On the front the gears work like this
1. The largest gear/ring will give you the most resistance. Normally used when going do hills. When used on flats or inclines, it will make it really tough.

2. The middle gear/ring, the most used gear. When used in combination with the rear cassette, it provides a great range of gears to get the desired combo.

3. The small gear/ring, normally used going uphill. On steep climbs shift down to the "GRANNY" gear to ease resistance.

The rear gears....cassette...allows you to shift from the hardest (the smallest ring on the rear) to the easiest (the largest on the rear). Only the middle ring in the front allows you to shift with ease through all of the gears in the rear. Rule of thumb to remember, you should never be in the big ring up front and the big in the back. Same goes for the granny up front and the small on the rear. The reason being that when in the small/small combination, the chain is actually crossed in the drivetrain cause stress on the chain. When in a Big/Big combo, you are stretching the chain.

For you starting out, I would suggest that you leaving it in the middle and play with the rear until you find something comfortable.

Oh, for the record....your left shifter controls the front and the right controls the rear.

I hope that helps

Back