Cycling

da_caramel_diva

I decided to pick up cycling. Actually for several reasons.

• Exercise
  • Save money on gas
  • Make cycling my main form of transportation to and fro work.

I realized that I might need to teach myself how to ride a bike again. Anywho...any suggestion from those who cycle about a good bike to buy? Im borrowing my best friends bike to make sure i am serious about it. So far...im loving the ride..

Day one bicycle practice results and conclusions:
1. Avoided falling into creek by running into tree.
2. Huge bruise on the inside of my leg.
3. Arse hurts like hell from seat.
4. I need a taser or pepperspray.
5. At least 3 cold water bottles maybe a 1 ltr
6. Need bigger backpack for clothes

Day two bicycle practice results and conclusions:
1. Ran into curb trying to pop a wheely
2. Huge scrap on left forearm.
3. I need to get me some of that cycling gear to protect my skin
4. Anyone who says Dallas is flat hasnt tried cycling yet.
5. Completed 7 miles roundtrip.
6. Standing before impacting curbs and bumps helps my arse not be sore.

Sounds like you should shop around for better prices on gas.

:lmao:

Prolly don't need to risk bouncing that arse on those hard seats any longer.

Do you really want to ride your bike to work; from what I recall perspiration does occur when pedaling for long periods of time. Which results in certain forms of body odor that stay with you until your next bath/shower.

If your showering at work use soap on a rope... you never know who/what is in the next shower.

:swink:

I enjoy riding my bike, but it is not possible for me to use it to save gas. Toooo far to ride to and from work, plus I tend to have to run work related errands through out the day.

You will need to get you a bigger seat for your bike to get better comfort. I'd also suggest some sort of rear bike rack or bag. Take a look at some of the items found at the link. http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/store/bike-racks-panniers.shtml

Girl you scared me. I thought we were going to be talking about the other kind of cycles. :scared:

Girl you scared me. I thought we were going to be talking about the other kind of cycles. :scared:

LMAO!!! U stoopid...

@Q...yeah...looking at my bruises I did rethink it..but its a goal so Im sticking to it.

My job is 9 miles away. We have shower facilities at a location thats two blocks away...so no BO for me!! lol

I decided to pick up cycling. Actually for several reasons.

• Exercise
  • Save money on gas
  • Make cycling my main form of transportation to and fro work.

I realized that I might need to teach myself how to ride a bike again. Anywho...any suggestion from those who cycle about a good bike to buy? Im borrowing my best friends bike to make sure i am serious about it. So far...im loving the ride..

Day one bicycle practice results and conclusions:
1. Avoided falling into creek by running into tree.
2. Huge bruise on the inside of my leg.
3. Arse hurts like hell from seat.
4. I need a taser or pepperspray.
5. At least 3 cold water bottles maybe a 1 ltr
6. Need bigger backpack for clothes

Day two bicycle practice results and conclusions:
1. Ran into curb trying to pop a wheely
2. Huge scrap on left forearm.
3. I need to get me some of that cycling gear to protect my skin
4. Anyone who says Dallas is flat hasnt tried cycling yet.
5. Completed 7 miles roundtrip.
6. Standing before impacting curbs and bumps helps my arse not be sore.

Now I don't do much commuting on my bike, but I am a mountain biker. First thing that you should do is get the proper bike for your type of riding and the correct fit. What type of bike do you have? If you are serious about getting into cycling, go to your local bike shop (LBS) and talk with them. Avoid the WalMart/Target bikes if possible. Even a low end entry model bike from a reputable manufacturer (like Trek or Giant) is better than Wally's finest. They make different types of bikes: There are crusiers, commuters, and urban type bikes. Your LBS would be able to help you pick the right bike at the right price for you.

***ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET***

Then get a pair of cycling shorts. They don't have to be the tights that you see Lance ride in. They acutually make shorts that look like pretty regular shorts, but the come with a the padding in them. Or you can just invest in a pair of bike tights and put a pair of shorts over them. Check places like REI out. The tights/shorts padding will help with the soar butt a bit. Also, I would suggest to stay was from the gel seat pad covers. They tend to slip are and cause you to be unbalanced. I would say that if your seat isn't comfortable, go to a bike shop and try out several. You can't just try one and base your decision off of that.

When riding and you have to go over an obstacle, get your weight to the back of the bike. By distributing your weight back, it allows the front to be a lot light and easier for navigating obstacles. Now if you have a front fork with a suspension, that would make it even easier, as the suspension will soak the the obstacle.

Don't try and do too much. Know your abilities on your steed. Remeber that you will fail your bike before your bike fails you (if you buy a good bike), so trust your bike. If you have a big bruise on your leg, it could possible come from squeezing the frame with your legs. Always try to be loose and relaxed on the bike.

Oh I forgot to add this. Look to get pannier bags that attach to your frame. I would avoid add too much additional weight to your body if possible. I know some people that stash clothes at work, at least the shoes.

Also, if you want to carry that much water with you, look to get a hydration pack like a Camelbak. They make water bladders up to 100oz that you carry in a back pack and there is a water tube that comes across your shoulder. It is way more accessible than a waterbottle.

@bishop Thanks for all the info...I will definately use it. Im using a men's mountain bike...so its definately too heavy for me... far as trusting the bike...you are ABSOLUTELY right...cause I believe both of my falls are from me being scary!!! But Im learning and determined!

@DGTM Im in the IT field. Why?

@bishop Thanks for all the info...I will definately use it. Im using a men's mountain bike...so its definately too heavy for me... far as trusting the bike...you are ABSOLUTELY right...cause I believe both of my falls are from me being scary!!! But Im learning and determined!

the most important thing is getting a bike that fits you. Like I said before, avoid Wally's world. Now biking can get expensive, but you don't have to break the bank. For your commute, 7-9 mi in Texas, be as comfortable as possible. A good bike shop will try and get you a really good fit.

you were saying that you all have shower facilities nearby and I was just wondering what kind of job is that. I would have guessed something in the physical fitness field.

*fanning nose*
Mmmmmmmmmmm yo' cat gone be faunky by the time you get to work gul. lol J/K

Sounds like a noble idea DCD and one that'll give U some reps @ burning calories too. I like the idea and I wish I could do that here. Cycling is huge here, on the weekends only. I'd have to pedal 15+ miles one way and I don't see me doing that w/ 2 laptops strapped to my back in a pack.

Good luck w/ it. :tup:

They sell bicycle shorts with padding inside of them. That will help the sore azz. Also, get a cushion for your seat. I had to get a cushion because my seat was a nut buster...LOL I can ride comfortably now.

Man yeah, I was bike riding alot a couple of years ago....and man was my ass sore. I purchased a pad, but that only helped alittle. I wasn't as serious as you are though, so I never purchased anything further.

Good Luck Lady!

Thanks everyone...I made the round trip twice... (its only a total of 18 miles)...I was suppose to start riding to work today but I cant find the lock I need for my bike....Im going to look tonight and hopefully start cycling tomorrow morning! I will know for sure at the end of this work week about how serious I am...and look into my own bike next week! I know for sure my ride will be easier because my best friends bike is soooooooo heavy!! Cycling 18miles then lifting that heavy bike up three flights of stares :smh:

Thanks for everyones advice and support....i must say that it certainly worked! I have a great route to get to work and so far its been really fun and exciting!

my legs are already like woah... :ebrow:

I know TI has a major trail around/by their office. I haven't ridden it myself but a few guys that I used to go to happy hour with over there would always talk about that TI biking trail.

I don't know where your riding but its by the 75/635 inter-change.

Back