Converting from FAT to NTFS.

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
I recently attempted to convert a thumb drive from FAT to NTFS on a Windows XP Home Edition platform, but my attempts were unsuccessful. I'd run the command convert f: /FS:NTFS but receive a message that I needed to run chkdsk because of errors encountered. After running chkdsk I encountered even more errors (and subsequently lost entire files). I was only able to finally convert the drive using the same commands on a Windows 2000 system. Has anybody encountered something like this before? How did you get around converting drives on a Windows XP system?

Hmmmmmm I'm not really sure but it might be your operating system. XP Home sucks....upgrade and get XP professional with service pack 2

MACBFAC said:
Hmmmmmm I'm not really sure but it might be your operating system. XP Home sucks....upgrade and get XP professional with service pack 2

Yep. Not to mention I got this laptop pretty cheap when XP first came out. I didn't even get the XP software with it; just a ghost disk to get me back to the original configuration. Joker crashed on my azz TWICE where I had to use the ghost disk and I lost my ISP setup, all my programs and program settings, email, files stored, everything. :sick: Is it a big deal upgrading from Home to Professional?

Back