Congressional investigative arm may sue Cheney

JSU*Toi

I wonder if he will run to his undisclose location.....now :D

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The head of the General Accounting Office told CNN Friday the agency will sue Vice President Dick Cheney next week unless he agrees to provide information about the energy task force he ran last year.

"I think it's appropriate to provide the administration a few days to reconsider their position. I'm hopeful that they will provide us with the information we're seeking. It is a very reasonable and reasoned request. But the fuse is short," said GAO Comptroller General David Walker.

Walker said he would wait until after President Bush's State of the Union address Tuesday before going ahead with plans to file suit, since so many Bush administration aides are focused on that right now. But Walker said the GAO, the investigative arm of Congress, had to draw the line somewhere.

"This is about the right of the Congress to oversee the executive branch, the right of the GAO to assist Congress," he said. "Our concern is that never before have we had a situation where an administration has refused to provide this kind of information, whether it be a Democratic or Republican administration."
Cheney told Senate Republicans at a private meeting this week he has no intention of releasing the information being sought about the task force meetings, CNN has learned.

The GAO wants to know several things about last year's closed-door meetings -- including the names of energy executives who attended, when and where the meetings were held and how much they cost the taxpayers. A congressional aide said the GAO is not after minutes, transcripts and notes from the meetings.

For months, the White House has said there is no reason to provide details of the sessions and accused critics of engaging in a mere "fishing expedition."

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer has repeatedly said constituents have the right to meet with their government without being scrutinized.

There's got to be a paper-trail

As connected as Enron was, especially in Texas and in Washington, D.C., I know somebody in the White House had to have known about how things were really going (with Enron). And I'll bet the Enron executives who helped cratf the Energy Policy last year, knew and told somebody about the financial situation. I read in the Dallas Morning News that Enron enacted some stipulations that prevented it's employees from being able to sell their stock. They said they were in the process of changing Fund Managers, but the current Fund managing contract was renewed in 2000. And when the news broke about the problems, and when the stock price started falling, employees were phucced because they were locked in. They couldn't sell. And the bottom fell out of the stock, and they lost billions. Then they got laid-off. So they got phucced twice..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
That is a horrible way to get cut from someone's payroll. First, lose all your life savings of stocks and then get laid off. :(

Back