COGIC Bishop G.E. Patterson Dies

I will miss seeing him on TV.

His show will continue to run for a good little while.

According to an article that ran in yesterday's Commercial Appeal in Memphis, there are tons of messages he recorded that have yet to be aired.

I used it before him, but it is good to know that I am in that kind of company. I will miss him. LH Ford was good at that and CD Owens still is. JO Patterson was altogether different from them.

It is my guess that Charles Blake will get the rubber stamp when the time comes. He is more than worthy and capable of carrying the torch; and with the progression of things COGIC he is the best-suited among the presidium to take on the role.

Our hearts are saddened the GE Patterson has preached his last sermon on this side of glory, but we REJOICE that such great leader has gone home to great reward.

Does Rev. Blake come on T.V.? Would love to see him. Bishop Patterson did that old fashion stuff. I was listening to his CD in my car this evening.(Singing the Old Time Way) Does anyone know when that CD was recorded?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Does Rev. Blake come on T.V.? Would love to see him. Bishop Patterson did that old fashion stuff. I was listening to his CD in my car this evening.(Singing the Old Time Way) Does anyone know when that CD was recorded?

I haven't seen Bishop Blake on TV, but I've heard him preach. And he's good! :tup:

Bishop Patterson probably recorded the "Singing the Old Time Way" just a couple of years ago. It's not old, I know that much.

Though he rest from his labor, his works continue...

RIP...

I loved him because he was very conservative... I wonder if Blake is just as conservative?

I read in the Commercial Appeal yesterday that President Clinton will give remarks on Saturday at the funeral. Donnie McClurkin, CeCe Winan and AME Bishop Vashti McKenzie will also be there.

Family, faithful, famous pay respects at Temple
By James Dowd
Commercial Appeal

March 30, 2007
The seat in the center of the stage at Temple of Deliverance Church of God in Christ was empty.
Vibrant purple and red cloth draped the seat of honor, the seat of remembrance, a visual reminder of the legacy and loss of a beloved saint.

A capacity crowd gathered in the 5,000-seat sanctuary for the local memorial service for Bishop G.E. Patterson, the COGIC chief apostle who died on March 20 at 67.
In an impassioned eulogy, coming nearly three hours after Thursday's memorial service began, Elder Frank A. White acknowledged the void.

"As we gather here tonight there is a mutual agreement that Bishop Patterson's transition to another world came all too soon," White said.

"Almost every seat in this place has been filled, but we cannot help but notice that there is an empty seat among us and there is an empty seat in our hearts. This seat on Earth may be empty, but there's a seat in heaven filled tonight."

Earlier, when the church's doors opened at 3 p.m. for the second of three days of public viewings of the bishop's body, the line of mourners curved around the building.

Inside, for three and a half hours, the faithful passed by the bishop's casket.

Dressed in white, kind eyes complementing a patient smile, greeter Beverly Jefferson surveyed the swelling crowd and sighed.

So many people, so many lives, touched by a man anointed with a vision of holiness that reached around the world.

And like many, Jefferson said her first encounter with Bishop Patterson occurred when, as a child, she heard the renowned minister preach with passion and piety of the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

"I'll never forget it. He talked about Jesus being a habit-breaker," said Jefferson, 43. "I told my mother that one day I wanted to be a member of that man's church and now I am, but I miss him so."

Rest of the story:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_5452573,00.html

More than 9,000 people have signed his guest book on the Commercial Appeal, and we have over a 1,000 views on this thread.

I loved him because he was very conservative... I wonder if Blake is just as conservative?

As COGIC prelates go, GE Patterson was FAR more progressive than any of his predecessors. Charles Blake is even moreso.

If Blake is the successor, I expect to see significant expansion into world missions, the expansion of the use of technology and visibility, and more focused outreach in the USA. However, as with those before him, the tenets of holiness and righteous living have not and will not be compromised.

Back