Chinese American Petition Against Shaq

THAMES

Has anyone heard about this. Before the showdown between the two big men whch Houston won in overtime. Shaq made this comment. He said he made the comment in jest, which proves he can niether rap or tell jokes. Ming seemed to accept the apology but the Chinese American community is in an uproar. The NBA has recently opened up an NBA website in chinese. Ming at 7'6 ain't not be ready for Shaq just yet, but it may develop into quite a rivalry.
----------------------------------------------------------

We Deserve a Real Apology for Shaq's "ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh" taunt.

To: The National Basketball Association

January 14, 2003

Commissioner David J. Stern
The National Basketball Association
Olympic Tower, 656 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Dear Commissioner Stern:

We are writing this letter in response to the racially insensitive comments made by Shaquille O?Neal, center for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association. On June 28, 2002, Mr. O?Neal made the following comments, ?Tell Yao Ming, ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh? and the comments were replayed several times on Fox Sports Radio?s Tony Bruno Morning Extravaganza on December 16 and 17, 2002. For the following reasons, OCA looks to the NBA?s leadership to: (1) encourage Mr. O?Neal to reexamine his statements and issue a sincere, unqualified apology to Mr. Yao and all Americans for his racist rhetoric; (2) issue a statement denouncing race-based ?taunts? by all NBA personnel; and (3) require diversity awareness seminars for all NBA personnel, including its players and coaching staff.

A sincere, unqualified apology from Mr. O?Neal is overdue. On January 10, 2003, when Mr. O?Neal was confronted about the racial insensitivity of his comments, he responded with the following, "I said it jokingly, so this guy was just trying to stir something up that's not there. He's just somebody who doesn't have a sense of humor, like I do.? Mr. O?Neal?s purported ?apology? is nothing more than a misguided attempt to diffuse the public?s outrage over his remarks and a hollow excuse to justify his prior racist statement.

If indeed Mr. O?Neal?s statement was meant to be a non-racial attempt at humor, his joke could be directed toward any NBA player while achieving the same humorous effect. For example, ?Tell Dirk Nowitzki, ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh?, or ?Tell Pau Gasol, ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh?, or even ?Tell Dikembe Mutombo, ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh?. The fact of the matter is those comments would not be allegedly ?humorous? if Mr. O?Neals comments were directed at any of the aforementioned foreign-born NBA players, or at any US-born NBA player. ?Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh ? is Mr. O?Neal?s interpretation of the Chinese language and since Dirk Nowitski, Pau Gasol, and Dikembe Mutombo are not Chinese, but in fact West German, Spanish, and Zairian, the comments are in fact race-based. You will recall that Fuzzy Zoeller, PGA tour player, immediately apologized, without qualification, for his racially insensitive remarks toward 1997 Master?s Champion Tiger Woods. The Asian American community looks to the NBA?s leadership to encourage Mr. O?Neal to do the same, and to sincerely apologize to not only Yao Ming, but also to the 11.9 million Asian Americans, many of whom revere Mr. O?Neal as a role model and are in fact die hard ?SHAQ? fans.

In addition to a sincere apology from Mr. O?Neal, we seek the NBA?s leadership and ask that it issue a statement denouncing race-based ?taunts? by all NBA personnel and to immediately initiate a diversity seminar for all of its employees. Mr. O?Neal states that he is not the first nor the only person (presumably he is referring to other NBA players) to have made those same remarks. ?I mean, if I was the first one to do it, and the only one to do it, I could see what they're talking about. But if I offended anybody, I apologize.? Given the recent racial incidences involving former Sacremento Kings and current Memphis Grizzlies point guard Jason Williams (February 28, 2001) and former Denver Nuggets head coach Dan Issel (December 11, 2001), it would be very beneficial for the NBA to require all of its players and coaches to attend diversity awareness seminars. Diversity training is particularly timely and would be particularly beneficial towards the NBA?s long-term goals given its vision of becoming a global sport with professional teams in every nation of the world.

We believe that the NBA should show greater sensitivity towards this matter and we hope that the NBA will act immediately to resolve this problem.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

If what the article say is true, then Shaq needs to apologize. If what the article said is true, then Shaq should have known better. I mean, come on. One does not say that kind of thing in this political correct world. Who doesn't know that?

IF what the article says is true.

You know .....it unbelieveable how white folks( and you better believe there was one hidden in the background) can tell us what the hell is racially insensistive.This a bunch of bullsh!t and i don't evev like shaq.Now how many times you hear whites and others along with ourselves say things of that nature in slang(ebonics)and everybody takes it for what it is ...a joke Now hear comes a group of people whom make their living in our community and are product of the most racisit community on earth and anybody knowong anything about china knows this to be true and they have nerves enough to falsely accuse shaq of makeing racial comments,then to top it off here we go like a bunch idiots buying into it.
What shaq did is no more then whats done everyday on any given channel and its call comedy do they call it racisit when they come in our community and get loans for businesses and we can't it is time out for letting crackers tell US we're racisit.
Is it racisit when these people send hundreds of thousand of troops to kill people of color over oil but when somebody whom have their complication builds a nuclear bomb and dares them to do any thing their respones is we'll negociate with them
:angry: :angry: :angry:

I think that Shaq made a serious error in judgement when he joked about the Chinese language. Some members of the Asian American community found it to be offensive and spoke to the issue, which IMO, Shaq should apologize.

However, I don't believe that Shaq is a racist, which is the latest soapbox from where many whites stand. Shaq's so-called joke was made last June, and this issue was brought to life and fueled last week. I am curious that since the joke was made over six months ago in a public forum, when has it taken so long for the outcry.

On a couple message boards that I read and sports stations that I have listened, it seems that whites are the most upset, and can't understand why (1) this situation is down played, but Fuzzy Zoeller's comments were offensive, (2) how would blacks feel if Yao would respond by making monkey lips, (3) how would blacks feel if Yao would chirp like a monkey, (4) where are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton now?

On the sports shows, some of the callers are so angry that they are basically shouting. My question is (1) how can one compare not showing proper respect or joking about one's native language to comparing people with monkeys, or (2) the Fuzzy Zoeller's whatever those folks eat, in a similar fashion? IMO, if an Asian American would have made a similar comeback regarding the English language, that would be more in line with the comments that Shaq made.

Yao should learn some damn English. They still ride Mutombo's ass over the way he talks, why can't Yao be subject to some of that? There are still quite a few cats in the league who don't know a lick of English. We all know Shaq isn't exactly Clayton Adam Powell, or somebody, so why take anything he says non-basketballwise seriously?

He has made about 4 rap cds and I haven't taken them seriously either.

Originally posted by Dirty
There are still quite a few cats in the league who don't know a lick of English.

True....and many of them are African-American! Everybody wants to simply brush over this, but Shaq should have known better. :smh:

Don't get me wrong. I'm don't consider myself to be the least bit conservative as far a politics go. But, we can't dismiss these kinds of things as trivial when they involve someone of another ethnicity, and turn and want to file lawsuits when they affect one of our own.

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
But, we can't dismiss these kinds of things as trivial when they involve someone of another ethnicity, and turn and want to file lawsuits when they affect one of our own.

Truly spoken! :tup:

I am sorry but Shaq was hella wrong I remeber watching him say that ( in June ) and felt offended. If someone made a comment about him eating pig feets or something simple like that every black person alive would be pissed...

Now bluedog Shaq being an ssa is completely different from Bush sending troops. And that is a whole another topic

Back