Chargers Draft Pick Is Shot, in Stable

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
Today: July 05, 2003 at 15:42:39 PDT

ASSOCIATED PRESS

HOUSTON (AP) - San Diego Chargers second-round draft pick Terrence Kiel was in stable condition in a Houston hospital Saturday, one day after being shot during an attempted carjacking.

Kiel, a former safety at Texas A&M, was sitting in his car in a mall parking lot when he was shot in the abdomen and leg by an unidentified man, police said.

The suspect, who was on foot, "said something to the victim and shortly thereafter fired numerous times, striking him in the abdomen and leg," Houston police spokeswoman Sandra Aponte said.

The suspect fled the scene on foot and later got into a vehicle and drove away, Aponte said.

Kiel was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital, where he was in stable condition Saturday. No further information about Kiel's injury was released by the hospital.

Calls to the Chargers were not immediately returned.

Kiel was selected 62nd overall by the Chargers in April's NFL draft.

--

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I heard about it. I think the wounds are superficial and he is supposed to recover in time for the next season.

Ummmm, if someone walks up and asks you for your car because they liked the rims and they draw a gun on you, give 'em the car.

He refused and they shot him.... I think 3 times.

Originally posted by bluedog
Today: July 05, 2003 at 15:42:39 PDT

ASSOCIATED PRESS

HOUSTON (AP) - San Diego Chargers second-round draft pick Terrence Kiel was in stable condition in a Houston hospital Saturday, one day after being shot during an attempted carjacking.

Kiel, a former safety at Texas A&M, was sitting in his car in a mall parking lot when he was shot in the abdomen and leg by an unidentified man, police said.

The suspect, who was on foot, "said something to the victim and shortly thereafter fired numerous times, striking him in the abdomen and leg," Houston police spokeswoman Sandra Aponte said.

The suspect fled the scene on foot and later got into a vehicle and drove away, Aponte said.

Kiel was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital, where he was in stable condition Saturday. No further information about Kiel's injury was released by the hospital.

Calls to the Chargers were not immediately returned.

Kiel was selected 62nd overall by the Chargers in April's NFL draft.

--

:smh:

Is it just me, or does it appear that to be an professional athlete, or a prospective pro athlete, you have to have either been shot, or shoot someone? Do our people not have a safe refuge anywhere?

:bawling:

Re: Re: Chargers Draft Pick Is Shot, in Stable

Originally posted by AAMU Alum

Is it just me, or does it appear that to be an professional athlete, or a prospective pro athlete, you have to have either been shot, or shoot someone? Do our people not have a safe refuge anywhere?

Well, you have choices in this life....and driving over to Sharpstown Mall with your rims all shiny when there are 25 other malls (safer, I might add) you could visit which doesn't carry the same reputation as Sharpstown.....was not a smart choice. Especially when he was ONLY going to purchase a cap/hat.

So, are you saying that Shapston Mall is the "ghetto" mall? When I lived in L. A. (Culver City,) Fox Hills was the "ghetto" mall. Probably still is!

Re: Re: Chargers Draft Pick Is Shot, in Stable

Originally posted by AAMU Alum

This is too briefly change the subject.

Back in May the Packers' Donald Driver was on a KTRH (Houston) radio program on a Sunday evening. (It was at a resteraunt.) After he left the program the conservation turned to the incident that Antoine Walker had with the Celtic fan. Most of the callers criticized Walker for putting his finger on the fan. Driver came back to the program, and the athletes there understood why Walker was concerned, especially if the fan, who is a loud mouth, was able to get so close to the bench. (The game was in Boston and was against New Jersey.) They mentioned a few incidents where athletes were attacked. Anyway, the callers did not act like they understand anything the athletes were trying to say. Maybe this will shake up a few minds.

BTW because of his actions, the fan got his season ticket priviledges revoked.

But that doesn't explain why some athletes get into stupid situations (going to the ghetto mall, hanging out at the ghetto club, running with ghetto friends, messing around with triffling broads, etc) knowing that they have a target on their backs. I know dudes want to "keep it real", but there is a limit to that--especially when bullets start flying.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It dosn't matter where you go. Anybody with money, or rimmed-up ride is a target in tha ghetto or tha burb's. Tha ghetto is not tha only place people get jacked.

Originally posted by sophandros
But that doesn't explain why some athletes get into stupid situations (going to the ghetto mall, hanging out at the ghetto club, running with ghetto friends, messing around with triffling broads, etc) knowing that they have a target on their backs. I know dudes want to "keep it real", but there is a limit to that--especially when bullets start flying.

Ditto,Ditto, Ditto. Man this is so true. Our young Black brothas are on a rollercoaster to hell. Or maybe they already there.:(

Originally posted by jstate83

It dosn't matter where you go. Anybody with money, or rimmed-up ride is a target in tha ghetto or tha burb's. Tha ghetto is not tha only place people get jacked.

You're missing my point. You don't have to get a rimmed-up ride before, during, or after you sign a pro sports contract. You are not required to have 50 million gold chains. You are not required to throw money around everywhere you go out.

You know there are vipers out there, so why give them a bigger target. There are several GOOD pro athletes who DON'T behave this way or get shot or arrested or whatever because they have their heads screwed on right.

Originally posted by sophandros
You're missing my point. You don't have to get a rimmed-up ride before, during, or after you sign a pro sports contract. You are not required to have 50 million gold chains. You are not required to throw money around everywhere you go out.

You know there are vipers out there, so why give them a bigger target. There are several GOOD pro athletes who DON'T behave this way or get shot or arrested or whatever because they have their heads screwed on right.

I see what you are saying ....................... but this guy was just in tha mall like everyone else. I know some of these guy's go out looking like they just bought out CARTER jewler's, but majority are just enjoying their money. Why not buy tha kind of car or truck you want ................................ If any of us had it, we would. It's dose not look like he was out acting a fool or trying to attract attention. Like you said, their are vipers out their .... everywhere. If you have it, you know you will have to make changes because of it. Whoever did this would have done this to anyone who had something they wanted.....In tha ghetto or burbs.

No use in hav'in it if you are going to let cockroaches like that dictate what you do with it.

I see what you are saying ....................... but this guy was just in tha mall like everyone else. I know some of these guy's go out looking like they just bought out CARTER jewler's, but majority are just enjoying their money. Why not buy tha kind of car or truck you want ................................ If any of us had it, we would. It's dose not look like he was out acting a fool or trying to attract attention. Like you said, their are vipers out their .... everywhere. If you have it, you know you will have to make changes because of it. Whoever did this would have done this to anyone who had something they wanted.....In tha ghetto or burbs.

No use in hav'in it if you are going to let cockroaches like that dictate what you do with it.

Before I get onto this specific case, let me address the general situation. There is nothing wrong with having nice things, but there is something wrong with overcompensating. Again, there are dozens of athletes who make a good amount of money who don't flaunt it.

On this case, ask these questions:

Has he even signed his contract yet?
At what time did this happen?
Why did he choose to shop there instead of a different mall? I don't have millions, but I still don't go shopping in rough parts of town; that's just not wise for anyone. Street Cred means nothing when bullets are flying.

That's just a couple of questions that I would ask.

But back to the general case: we see this time and time again with athletes getting into stupid trouble (Damon Stoudamire just got arrested for drugs again, the dude for the Cardinals got busted as the head of a drug ring, etc) when they shouldn't be.

Maybe they think they're invincible, maybe they think that things can be all good back home (sorry, they aren't, and that's a price of fame. Nothing in this world is without a price), or maybe they think that they can always get off. I don't know, but I do know that they need to get their heads out of their arses, and soon.

This is so true.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back