CBSS reports Southern Miss FB Coach Hopson Resigns

It sounds like a calculation on his part to increase the odds of the university's survival.

That is a plausible calculation as the post-reconstruction era wasn't anything nice. That Governor (Alcorn) had an interesting resume. Huge slave owner, confederate army veteran but opposed secession and advocated full civil & voting rights for former slaves (not sure if the latter metamorphosis was due to his political aspirations). Perhaps the writing was on the wall for Hiram Revels when he left his Senate seat. There is definitely some interesting history going on.

There was a time with recruits big schools did not want that Southern Miss defeated the bigger schools. (I think that Bear Byant's last loss at Bryant-Denny was to Southern Miss.) These were before Brett Farve was the quarterback in a win over Florida State.

Now, I will bet that those recruits are signed by the big schools, and there are the Sunbelt, AAC, MAC and Conference USA and a few others probably signing those types of players as well.

“I’m going to be a head coach in college football next year,” he said in a live appearance on Dan Patrick’s radio show at the Super Bowl. “I’m that definite. I’m that assured that I am.”

Back