capital city clasic

who will win da CAPITAL CITY CLASS

• ALCORN?

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Jackson STATE?

Votes: 24 54.5%

• Total voters
The question isn't who'll win. The question is will Alcorn come within 3 touchdowns.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
From what I understand, the Alcorn fans are pumped. That will be good for the attendance but they will get their feelings hurt.

I'm gonna ask Alcorn the same question I asked PV, who have you beaten? And don't count Bama State, them without Kennedy is like Alcorn without McNair.

Originally posted by Kool-Aid2K1
I'm gonna ask Alcorn the same question I asked PV, who have you beaten?

Like, who has Jackson beaten? :confused:

If I'm not mistaken, the only school with a winning record that JSU has defeated was Southern, and that was under bad field conditions and with a controversial finish. So you can save that.......

The question isn't who'll win. The question is will Alcorn come within 3 touchdowns.

The question <b>IS</b> who will win. In all honesty, Jackson's defense hasn't exactly been shutting folks down this year. Kent's been getting picked more often than the Delta cotton lately, and you have NO kicking game whatsoever.

I can't say who the winner will be, but I do know that if JSU's football team tries to take this game lightly, they will get one of those old fashioned, Joe Jackson butt kickings Saturday....

JSU didn't lose to D-2 Fort Valley State.

JSU didn't struggle against Valley.

The talent gap between JSU and Alcorn is still very wide, and both teams have a coaching deficiancy.

JSU by at least 3 touchdowns.

JSU didn't lose to D-2 Fort Valley State.

JSU didn't struggle against Valley.

The talent gap between JSU and Alcorn is still very wide, and both teams have a coaching deficiancy.

Who's to say Fort Valley wouldn't have beaten JSU this year? Alcorn didn't "struggle" against Valley - the outcome was never in doubt, despite what the final score was. I'll give you the talent gap at this point in time, but it's not as wide as it has been over the past few years, plus heart will go a long way.

Bottom line - we shall see on Nov. 17th :D

(don't come out there halfstepping...)

I actually hope Alcorn wins this game about 3 or 4 times per decade in order to keep the rivalry strong and attendence high. But I really don't see them doing it. And this year will be the best chance they will have in a long time (at for the next two or three years)

As a matter of fact I really hope they win this year so that we can make sure that our coaching staff are all fired for their lack of any coaching ability, what-so-ever.

Our coaching staff is gone regardless of the outcome of this game.
However I don't believe Alcorn not winning is a major problem with the classic. The problem is them getting blow away every year since McNair.

I feel ya. It would be nice for ALCORN TO WIN ONCE EVERY BLUE MOON ATLEAST. lol. There still won't be a question as to who the hell DOMINATES the CCC. LOL. Hope we can get attendence back up to those McNair years. I tell you these dayum fair-weather BRAVES. WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU LAST YEAR? lol. and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that...huh? LOL. NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. Now you win 2 or 3 games out of a season and you're ready to talk shat. LOL. Go crawl back in to the hole BRAVES.

I tell ya... It's convenient for you all to talk now. But no one wants to discuss when you couldn't win a Soul Bowl for several consecutive years.

Now, why are yall griping about attendance?

Attendance has never been an issue (with the exception of last year). We never get under 50K (not counting last year). Last year shouldn't even count. Of course, the stadium will be overflowing again like it did in 1994 if we did pick up our winning streak. However, I think this year is gonna be the biggest draw in Jackson States promotion records for the classic. You all should easily be able to record 60K for the official ticket sale count this time. The ASU fans are really gonna come out this time.

However I don't believe Alcorn not winning is a major problem with the classic. The problem is them getting blow away every year since McNair.

I agree. Last year's game was actually rather close compared to previous years.

JSU should be the favorite again, but this game should not be a "blowout" this year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
What kills me is that people have been on this page saying that Alcorn will lose to everyone all season. That's just not the case yall. You never know what can happen.

Off the subject, but justified....

Bruh,

Is that Golden Girls pic from this season? Do you have any more?

God bless you, man.

I honestly think Alcorn has a good chance of pulling this out. I've been accused of being a Jackson State hater, but really I'm not. I just like it when they lose to GSU because growing up, I was able to attend two GSU games a year (JSU or TnState and homecoming) and they are an old rival.

I saw GSU play both teams this year. From a talent standpoint, JSU looked more impressive. However, Alcorn showed me more fight than JSU did. Something about the way they refused to fold despite the early lead that GSU jumped out to against them.

I'm biased becuz of three Alcorn Players (Kris Peters, Corey & Brandon Talton) that I coached in youth sports. Can't help but want to see the hometown boys do well.

Alcorn State 49

Jackson State 47

These teams are a lot closer than some may think. Both teams are giving up almost 30 pts a game. Alcorn's overall defense is a tad better than JSU.

JSU currently has the best offense in the SWAC with the bulk of it coming from passing.. Guess what?? Alcorn's passing defense is the best in the SWAC.

My pick is Alcorn 32 JSU 28

Its interesting that some of the people who picked us to lose against Valley and Struggle against PV are now picking us to lose to Alcorn too. Our defense has been pretty good since Alabama State, and even though our Special teams and turnovers have been a major weakness, It takes a good, top 25 team to turn that into a loss.. Alcorn is not one of those teams. JSU can win this one on talent alone, just like the other wins this year.

Kool-Aid,

You know my track record on the SMACK BOARD, I usually pick against JSU and SU just to piss yall off becuz of the rivalries between the two schools.

I just feel that the becuz of the circumstance, Alcorn has more to play for and the emotion of their players will be the deciding factor. Of course, I could be wrong and the players at JSU come out focused and determine to salvage a disappointing season.

I've cracked on Hughes quite a bit, but he is not a bad coach. But I still don't think he was the right hire for JSU's head coach.
To be sure, he is a hardworking man who loves his alma mater. Nevertheless, he is a notch below Gordan and Carson, his predecessors. A good #2 man on any staff, but a number 2 man is what he is best suited for.

Fight and emotion can only take you so far, just ask Valley. This game is not a referendum on Hughes' coaching future, cause I think he's gonna retire anyway. The fact that Alcorn's playing for a championship will help them at first, but once talent and reality sets in, JSU will run away with this game. Of course anything can happen on any given Saturday, but if you took an honest look at Alcorn and JSU, and their respective seasons, you'd see that Alcorn just does not measure up.

My $19.11 Worth

This year is the year we, (Alcorn) can and will beat the Tigers. If Kent is not 100%, Karl Morgan will Blitz him crazy. Now the only drawback is our Run Defense which is not that good. Against the pass, we can compete with Kent, Story, Manning and T. C. I do not think Mouton and the other DBs from Jackson can contained Peters, Gilmore, Holbert and Walder. The running game for both schools will determine the winner. This should be one of the better games since the McNair era. I see a dogfight like the 1989 game that Jackson won after Alcorn failed to complete a trick play that was "Wide Open." Another thing, John McKenzie is the real deal as an Offensive Coordinator and I hate to see him leave before he develops DC into a "Kent" like QB.

The Seven Year Itch Is Over!

Alcorn 28
Jackson 21

Is it likely that McKenzie will be the successor to Hughes at JSU? He has definitely done a good job at Alcorn State!

Donald Carrie impressed me against GSU. He tooks some hard hits but hung in there and hit us with some nice td throws late in the game. The last td bomb that Chris Peters caught over our Chris Brown was big-time. Brown was in good position, but the ball was in the only place that he couldn't get it and Peters made a big-time over the shoulder grab in the corner of the endzone.

This really should be a helluva game...I won't be able to make it since my chapter & my line has a Voter's Registration drive project going on at the PVU/SU game. I hope the CCC has a 50plus crowd this year. That game's attendance is very important for the SWAC.

Good Luck to Both Teams!

Back