Burn-in will wreck your plasma HDTV within a year.

docmump

The Arch Nemesis
"Burn-in will wreck your plasma HDTV within a year."
The plasma display has advanced since the days when most of us saw plasmas only at airports, where constantly switched-on screens showing formatted flight information suffered from burn-in--ghost images that linger on screen despite no longer being transmitted.

Today, vendors rate the life expectancy of high-quality plasma TVs at 60,000 hours. That works out to more than 20 years of use if you watch 8 hours a day, 365 days a year; it's also about the same lifetime claimed for LCDs and CRTs (the latter are similarly prone to burn-in because, like plasma TVs, they depend on phosphor-based displays).

What changed? Phosphors and gas mixtures in the new plasma panels greatly reduce the risk of burn-in, and some sets use burn-in prevention software. "If you're not worried about burn-in for your CRT, you shouldn't worry about it for your plasma TV," says the Society for Information Display's Larry Weber.

I have heard this about Plasma as long as I have been interested in it. Do you believe this or do you believe that somebody is paying big buck to have this guy write about this?

Source:
http://msn.pcworld.com/msn/article/0,aid,122629,pg,1,00.asp

:confused:

Not really a big surprise. There are downsides to my LCD HDTV. At night when I am watching the HDTV in a dark room the screen is so bright that it appears that you are staring into the sun. This is after I have adjust the brightness control.

I figured that is what you would be gauaranteed with the 6 grand that a plasma cost.

pv_symbiotic said:
Not really a big surprise. There are downsides to my LCD HDTV. At night when I am watching the HDTV in a dark room the screen is so bright that it appears that you are staring into the sun. This is after I have adjust the brightness control.

I figured that is what you would be gauaranteed with the 6 grand that a plasma cost.

Did you callibrate the TV using the AVIA DVD? That will help with the brightness.

Butch Wms. said:
My DLP 50 inch projection television by Samsung is to be delivered this Tuesday.Is burn-in a problem I have to be concerned about?

Unless you do something real stupid...L No...You only have to be concerned with how do enjoy your 50 inch DLP. Your tv viewing habits will change and you will switch your list of favorite programs that you watch. You will focus more on watching HD programs, like Threshold. A special episode comes on Tuesday.

You will be watching the football games on Thursday and thinking to yourself WTF, that picture looks clear as L. Then you will start asking yourself what took you so long to come up.

Welcome to the HDTV Club

It's almost 6pm CST...I willbe off the job and outta this place until the Monday after Thanksgiving!!!!

Back