Building a PC

Da_Sperm

OK, I am not familiar with building PCs. Every computer I've owned I have bought. I've always upgraded the hardware myself. As many of you know, I have twins and I want to build them both their own PC. I sort of want it to be able to do more of the kid stuff such as gaming and internet browsing. I was thinking the AMD processor would probably be best and cheapest.

I plan to get all the parts from www.newegg.com because they have really good prices. I just bought a 16x DVD burner for $62 with shipping there. I just need the STEP BY STEP process to building a PC.

I think I can get the PC built for under $400. Can someone list the steps, all the pieces of hardware, and recommendations on what hardware to use for a PC that will last about 4 years for someone who is currently 6 years old.

Again, I have been on the software side of technology for years, I know little about building a computer from scratch.

Nothing wrong being a geek. Heck, being a geek is paying the bills like a mug. :hat:

Don't feel bad Sperm. I am in the same boat. Some people assume since you deal with software that you automatically know how to work with hardware.

I found this website to be pretty helpful. http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Killer Bees said:
Nothing wrong being a geek. Heck, being a geek is paying the bills like a mug. :hat:

Don't feel bad Sperm. I am in the same boat. Some people assume since you deal with software that you automatically know how to work with hardware.

I found this website to be pretty helpful. http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

This is a good detailed site for PC inf, but I would recommend no getting an intergrated video card. But if you get an intergrated video card make sure the motherboard also has an AGP slot.

So, are you saying to get a motherboard that does not have an intergrated processor, sound card, video card? I think it is best to go that way so that it is possible to upgrade down the line.

That is a good site that list the steps, thanks.

Da_Sperm said:
So, are you saying to get a motherboard that does not have an intergrated processor, sound card, video card? I think it is best to go that way so that it is possible to upgrade down the line.

That is a good site that list the steps, thanks.

Sperm, my wife and I built a PC a few years ago. We had a book on "how to build a PC". I don't remember the official title but one of the things I remember was it talked about not using Integrated parts. Mainly for the reasons you stated above.

Back