BREAKING SWAC NEWS!!!!! (Surprise Announcement from TX)!!!!

s phi s

The One Man Band
Mark "Scoop" Berman of Houston's KRIV Fox 26 News reported exclusively on this evening's 9 o'clock news that PV Head Football Coach Larry Dorsey has been fired. He interviewed Coach Dorsey himself, and he stated that after a meeting today he was fired as Head Football Coach.

More details as they become available.

Prairie View coach tells TV station he was fired
Associated Press

After three years on the job, Prairie View A&M University head football coach Larry Dorsey has been fired, Houston television station KRIV reported today.

Harlan Robinson, assistant athletic director for sports information, told The Associated Press on Tuesday night that he could not comment on the report. He said the school will have an announcement regarding the coach's status later this week.

In three seasons with the Panthers, Dorsey was 5-27. In 2002, Prairie View finished 1-10. In 2001, the team finished 3-8, their best season since 1988.

"After meeting with the athletic director and the chairman of the athletic committee, I was asked to step down as the head coach at Prairie View A&M University," Dorsey told KRIV.

Dorsey has three years left on his contract, and the two sides still must agree on the size of the buyout.

Athletic Director Charles McClelland told the station said the football program is moving in a different direction, but no official announcement would be made until later in the week.

DAMN :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I guess PV want a coach that can recruit, since they will have a full allotment of scholarships.

Yall aint going to hire RC Slocum are ya.:D

Seriously I think PV is doing the right thing. No offense to Dorsey, but PV needs a coach with some vision. All that hardhat wearing stuff is played out. Dorsey is outdated. It is time for alot of our HBCUs to look at who heads our programs. We still got alot of good ole "black" boys coaching. But I see these Prez's and AD 's aint playing.
The HBCU hit list has:

Hughes -JSU
Schoolfield-FVSU
Riley(AD)-FAMU
Forte- Norfolk State
Hayes- NC A&T
Dorsey- PV
4 assistants- Tn State

Who's next? Does UAPB fire ole Bucky now
Does Alcorn send Dr. Thomas away?
What's really going on at TXSU? Does Thomas have a extention or not?

There are alot of Job openings. I have never seen a year like this. Not to mention LC Cole may want out of ASU, Billy Joe has applied for jobs before, so is his job in jeopardy since Riley is gone? Then do folks from the East Coast try to entice Pete to come back. This is going to be an interesting offseason.

I read it off of the Houston Chronicle web site a hour ago.

After the basektball changes this past spring, things are a changing at PV.

This is 2 so far in the SWAC. If UAPB is gonna make a move on Hardaman, they need to do it

Just curious, Do you think any of these schools will give Hughes a look? He might seem interesting to some other AD.

Originally posted by Kool-Aid2K1
This is 2 so far in the SWAC. If UAPB is gonna make a move on Hardaman, they need to do it

Just curious, Do you think any of these schools will give Hughes a look? He might seem interesting to some other AD.

Good Question

But I think Hughes is content to just draw a paycheck from JSU in whatever capacity you guys reassign him to until he can retire. I don't see him at his age moving from Jackson to somewhere else. If he couldn't win at JSU with talent. How is he going to win somewhere else.

PV is sending a message that they finally want to compete. They aint playing. So Hughes would not even draw a phone call.

I look for teams to go to the youth movement. The old coaches are pretty much washed up. Time for all the recycling of the same names to stop. No more Dorseys, Casems, Dr.Thomas's, Archie Cooley's. No need to do that anymore. Time for the new 40 something and under coaches to emerge. Well one thing for sure is that UAPB better pull the plug on Bucky while they can. Because if they don't all the available talent may be hired up this offseason with all the openings.

Dang, Ole Pete really is the dean of the SWAC coaches. He has seen some schools go through at least 2 coaches since he came to SU in 93.

I was informed by a reliable source this weekend that Dorsey would be let go....don't be suprised if the new head coach of PV is an alum with past NFL experience and some coaching experience in the SWAC

Originally posted by $Bill
I was informed by a reliable source this weekend that Dorsey would be let go....don't be suprised if the new head coach of PV is an alum with past NFL experience and some coaching experience in the SWAC

Who would that be? PV Alum with NFL experience and coaching experience?

Are you talking about Otis Taylor or Ken Houston. Didn't Taylor try coaching PV once before? So it must be Kenny Houston then:confused:

Originally posted by $Bill
don't be suprised if the new head coach of PV is an alum with past NFL experience and some coaching experience in the SWAC
May as well keep Dorsey if you gonna go this route. If the guy learned to coach in the SWAC, chances are he didn't learn a whole lot.

Personally, I think Dorsey could do a lot with some talent.

I agree with you Robber. I hope I'm not speaking prematurely, because I don't know why he was let go, but it seems that he was good enough to get by with nothing, and now they have something (scholarships), he's not the right man for the job.

From what I've seen at PV, the guy had his teams overachieving, and competitive. It wasn't until depth came into play in the 2nd half of games, that PV would eventually lose, but for the most part, they were in a lot of games in the first half, when it's mainly starter, against starter.

Yeah it's sending a message that PV wants to win, but will the kids on the team now feel as though they were used.

NICE

HORRIBLE SCHEDULE

In the pre-season, I complained about PV's sell-out schedule that only included one home game on campus. I stated that PV needed to have a more friendly schedule and everyone scoffed at me. Well, the season's over and PV went 1-11. These ADs have to do a better job of building their programs rather than putting them on the road every week.

LaMont

Re: HORRIBLE SCHEDULE

Originally posted by LaMont
In the pre-season, I complained about PV's sell-out schedule that only included one home game on campus. I stated that PV needed to have a more friendly schedule and everyone scoffed at me. Well, the season's over and PV went 1-11. These ADs have to do a better job of building their programs rather than putting them on the road every week.

LaMont

AT THE SWAC MEETING COACH DORSEY ADDRESSED THAT VERY ISSUE. HE STATED THAT THE SCHEDULE WAS LIKE THAT DUE TO THE FACT THEY HAD MORE HOME GAMES THE YEAR BEFORE. THEY WANTED TO GIVE THE GUYS A CHANCE TO SEE WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO WIN.

HAVING LOTS OF HOME GAMES DOES NOT INSURE WINS. THEY ARE BULDING PROGRAMS BY PUTTING THE TEAMS IN MONEY GAMES.

Originally posted by JR

I look for teams to go to the youth movement. The old coaches are pretty much washed up. Time for all the recycling of the same names to stop. No more Dorseys, Casems, Dr.Thomas's, Archie Cooley's. No need to do that anymore. Time for the new 40 something and under coaches to emerge. Well one thing for sure is that UAPB better pull the plug on Bucky while they can. Because if they don't all the available talent may be hired up this offseason with all the openings.

How old is Dorsey? I don't think he that old. And I don't think this move was a good one. Nobody...and I do mean nobody could have made a winner out of PV with the way things were previously. Dorsey is a good coach, they should have kept him on. Just my .02 cents.

IT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD FOR A NEW GUY WHEN THE AD IS WILLING TO LET SOMEONE GO WITH 3 YEARS LEFT ON THE CONTRACT. I THOUGHT THAT DORSEY GOT THE MOST OF OF HIS PLAYERS AND THE SCHOLARSHIPS 3 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD WOULD GIVE THEM SOME MUCH NEEDED TALENT BUT...OH WELL.
THE SMACK MEDIA TAPE IS SLOWLY BECOMING A COLLECTORS ITEM.

I must say that I am surprised, but unfortunately not disappointed. Help me with my memory because it is fleeting rather fast, but didn't MVS fire Dorsey and didn't he come to PV with a losing record? I know at the time, we had few options, but just maybe isn't it time now to seriously start looking at being competitive not only in SWAC but among other universities as well. As I was leaving the game against UH and Baylor last Saturday, I heard a person of a different hue say "how can you expect UH to win, after all they lost to Prairie View for crying out loud." I think it's time for those opinions to change, and sometimes we have to take bold steps to bring in someone with a proven track record and will strongly recruit the talent that lies under our noses for starters.

Good move for PVU!!!

I never understood while Dorsey was hired in the first place. He came to PVU with a losing record but someone thought he was such a good coach.

Looks like the new PVU AD is bucking the SWAC norm of keeping retirement ready coaches around for several years.

How old is Dorsey? I don't think he that old. And I don't think this move was a good one. Nobody...and I do mean nobody could have made a winner out of PV with the way things were previously. Dorsey is a good coach, they should have kept him on. Just my .02 cents.

Dorsey is 49 or 50 years old. We attended the same High school. He was a senior when I was a junior. He is from my hometown of Corinth, MS. His father is a graduate of JSU and Larry graduated from Tennessee State. He played professional football with San Diego and Kansas City if I am not mistaken. He also coached at Ole Piss for a while. I think Dorsey did a fair job for PV with what he had to work with. I think someone will pick him up as an assistant. He played wide receiver in HS, College and the Pros.

We really appreciate everything that Mr. Dorsey and staff did considering what they had to work with, which wasn't much. They did a TREMENDOUS job considering.

But, it's time to move on. Just like w/ our baskeball programs, it's time to MOVE forward! We had SOME Div I talent on our football team (albeit only one or two). But, we STILL had asst coaches that were there since nineteen-hundred and friggin 84! :mad: Senseless.

Our AD understands and is moving PV forward. Stand by and watch if you wanna', we're busting some skulls really soon! And some of those skulls are going to be I-A. With the improvements that we anticipate, I'm sure that our AD's tenure will be short @ PV (others will desire).

Here's the article from the Chronicle.

Dec. 4, 2002, 7:48AM

Prairie View A&M fires football coach Dorsey
By RICHARD DEAN
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle
Fighting an uphill battle because of a lack of scholarships, Larry Dorsey was fired Tuesday as Prairie View A&M's head football coach.

Last season, Prairie View athletic officials were singing the praises of Dorsey, and he was given a two-year contract extension in February. Now, after a 1-10 season, it's out the door at the Southwestern Athletic Conference school, which competes in football on the NCAA Division I-AA level.

"I met with (athletic director) Charles McClelland and the chairman of the athletic department and they asked me to step down," said Dorsey, who was 5-27 in three seasons at Prairie View. "They said they just wanted to go in another direction."

Dorsey had only 15 scholarships available this year and was without one of his defensive coaches when Vernon Perry elected to coach golf.

The school said last month that it will have a full allotment of 63 scholarship football players next season, the maximum for I-AA schools.

"I wanted another year," said Dorsey, who is known for his pass-happy offenses and upbeat personality. "I guess it's part of the business. They weren't happy with a 1-10 season.

"It's nothing where I broke any rules. It's my understanding we made some steps backward. We didn't live up to what (the administration) was looking for."

Dorsey said Tuesday all that needs to be worked out is a contract settlement. He had three years remaining on his contract.

"My biggest thing is to get it done," said Dorsey, who previously was head coach at Mississippi Valley State for nine years "Give me my money, and I'll move on."

Dorsey said he had no ill feelings toward McClelland or the university.

"I have nothing against Charles McClelland," said Dorsey, who signed a four-year contract when he arrived at Prairie View in July 2000. "This is what they wanted to do. I wish the best for them. They've been good to me. I can see their side, too."

In 2001, Dorsey's second at Prairie View A&M, the Panthers were 3-7, their most wins since going 5-5 in 1988. But this year's 1-10 record included an 0-7 mark in the SWAC, and the only victory came against NAIA member Paul Quinn.

In 2000, the Panthers snapped a 67-game losing streak in SWAC play with a 25-22 win against Alcorn State.

"We felt we had a good program," said Dorsey. "We did the best with what we had. I don't know. It's tough. Disappointing."

Five victories in three seasons under Dorsey actually represented something of a resurgence for Prairie View. In 1990, the school dropped football for one year for financial reasons. The program was reinstated in 1991 without scholarships, and the Panthers went on to lose an NCAA-record 80 consecutive games, ending the streak in 1998.

The firing of Dorsey is the second move involving Prairie View's highest profile sports this year. In March, longtime men's basketball coach Elwood Plummer was fired.

That change already has produced positive results as the Panthers won at the University of Houston and played competitively against No. 6 Oklahoma under new coach Jerome Francis Jr.

Back