Braces.......

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Just had to sign my son up to get braces, them suckas are expensive. Even though my dental insurance will cover 50% of the cost, I still have to pay about $2500 over the next 12 months for him to have them for 2 years. He is starting to learn to drive also so he better not think about asking for a car cause I'm gonna tell him that the down payment is in his mouth.

bless yo heart. They are very expensive. i've had them twice, first time for 3 years, second time 7 months. My Ma footed the bill the first go round while I was still in undergrad, second time it was all me cause I was out of school and it was my fault that I needed them again. I wouldn't wear my retainers, I personally hated the retainers more than the braces, cause I wouldn't leave them in, they are so uncomfortable to sleep in for me. My teeth are shifting once again, and i'm gone have to get them suckas one more time, and get really good permanent retainers so my gaps will not come back.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ha! I don't know how much mine cost back in 1986 (November of '86 to be exact,) but I do remember when I asked my mom where was my car for graduation in 1988 she replied, "Your car is in your mouth!" :( :lmao: :smh:

My dentist told me I might need braces. I have the Michael Strahan gap going and that is one of the ways to correct it. The next time I go back (for a root canal) next week I will ask about veneers. I can't get braces at 25. I' m too old for it.

Just had to sign my son up to get braces, them suckas are expensive. Even though my dental insurance will cover 50% of the cost, I still have to pay about $2500 over the next 12 months for him to have them for 2 years. He is starting to learn to drive also so he better not think about asking for a car cause I'm gonna tell him that the down payment is in his mouth.

They cost a lot, but are a good investment in your son's teeth.

My dentist told me I might need braces. I have the Michael Strahan gap going and that is one of the ways to correct it. The next time I go back (for a root canal) next week I will ask about veneers. I can't get braces at 25. I' m too old for it.

How are you too old for braces? I had my braces removed just two years ago. I'm in my 30's and have seen people much older with them on.

How are you too old for braces? I had my braces removed just two years ago. I'm in my 30's and have seen people much older with them on.
It's a misnomer that one can be too old for braces. I know a lady had them in her late fortys. I ALWAYS tell young people, when you get a job - GET YOUR TEETH FIXED. To that end... to whom it may concern - You are NEVER to old to get your teeth fixed or to get braces. They improve, not only your image, but your esteem.

Fiyah, I feel your pain. :( Crystal, I wear my retainers FAITHFULLY at night. :tup:

I couldn't sleep! The clear plastic ones? :smh: So I switched to the regular metal ones, but my ortho told me i'd have to wear them all the time. :tdown: I was like, i'm not fina wear these thangs all the time, what's the point of havin my braces off. :lol: I also had a permanent retainer at the top between my two front teeth, but it was so little it quickly came out. so between those two issues that's why my top teeth shifted. I had a long one across my bottom teeth, but a few months ago i got too crunk on some chicken and it came out. :emlaugh: So now my bottom ones are slow gettin spaced out. Like I said, I may have one more go, and they gonna have to wrap my entire mouth in permanent retainers cause that's gone be it.

I know I am not literally too old to get braces. However, I don't like the idea of having wire in my mouth at 25 like a teenager for three or four years. I already look 15.

Heck, the gap is worse enough.

Last edited:
Braces are the most visible investment I've made since getting a job. I'm rarely caught with my teeth not showing. And for all the money I paid, I will wake up out of my sleep to put that retainer on if I've dozed off without it.

My mom paid a grip for mine. I can't remember how much her insurance kicked in, but I know she paid about $5k (I had a lot of work done). I wore my retainers faithfully and just had my bottom retainer removed about 4 yrs ago. Everytime someone comments on my smile, I thank my mother.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
My daughter got her braces last year 10 years old, they should come off around October of this year. Paid about 2K, but have to stay on her do right. Wear the rubber bands, brush, etc..

Braces are the most visible investment I've made since getting a job. I'm rarely caught with my teeth not showing. And for all the money I paid, I will wake up out of my sleep to put that retainer on if I've dozed off without it.

:nod: :nod:

My daughter got her braces last year 10 years old, they should come off around October of this year. Paid about 2K, but have to stay on her do right. Wear the rubber bands, brush, etc..

bay bay, them fresh rubber bands(ESPECIALLY ON TOP OF THEM POWER CHAINS) will make you wanna slap somebody! :lol: :smh:

Kendrick you better get over yourself. My wife was older than 25 when she got braces. Hell now that I think about it, she was over 30. Like jstus and kellis, she wears her retainer at night.

My oldest boy will get braces in Dec of this year. Like you Fiyah I have coverage for 50% of the cost, but I'm still having to fork over about $2500. Happy i have a flexible spending plan. I'll use that to pay for my share.

Kendrick you better get over yourself. My wife was older than 25 when she got braces. Hell now that I think about it, she was over 30. Like jstus and kellis, she wears her retainer at night.

My oldest boy will get braces in Dec of this year. Like you Fiyah I have coverage for 50% of the cost, but I'm still having to fork over about $2500. Happy i have a flexible spending plan. I'll use that to pay for my share.

My insurance only paid $1000 towards my son's braces. The other $3500 was ours.
Do you like the flex plan? I was thinking about joining it.

Who said I was going to let my chicklets fall by the wayside? I did say I was not getting braces. However, I said I was looking into getting veneers to close the barn door in the front. There is a difference.

Yep, I'm bling-blingin' right now and I'm thirty-*cough*...got 2 more years! :-( But it will be all worth it!

And the flex plan is the way to go!

Back