Boombox Classic 2018!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Honestly, the Sonic Boom and the Jukebox are 2 of my favorite SWAC bands. i enjoyed both shows but I would give the edge to the Jukebox this time especially the Dancing Dolls. Not to take anything away from JSU's show.

GaMe Ouer!!! They don’t even believe that was a good show themselves!!

View attachment 6309

The BOOM did two new Drills, sounded good and the J-Settes did good. We had an ACTUAL dance routine and we changed formations the entire show.

What SU do? Same DM entrance, same drill, same Doll routine, a freaking Thriller routine (i STILL cant believe that) and a Michael Myers routine to same fat boy song ya'll always use. Probably was the same fat boy too.

You all tried your best tho. I give you that. Oh and the announcer at the end was straight clownin! LOL

The BOOM did two new Drills, sounded good and the J-Settes did good. We had an ACTUAL dance routine and we changed formations the entire show.

What SU do? Same DM entrance, same drill, same Doll routine, a freaking Thriller routine (i STILL cant believe that) and a Michael Myers routine to same fat boy song ya'll always use. Probably was the same fat boy too.

You all tried your best tho. I give you that. Oh and the announcer at the end was straight clownin! LOL

Wrong. The Jukebox did a new drill as well and our traditional Halloween dance routine. GaMe OuEr!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!

Can someone from Southern explain this video? Don't trust them new nickels over there, what is this all about?

See, for me southern actually cares and respects JSU. Southern folks say what you want but these are facts... y’all waited to finally “open the book fully” on who... JSU ... simmons kept his ass in them stands directing and I didn’t hear a chant through the battle... that energy changed when JSU was sitting across the field. To the 5th, it was musically sound and technical from both sides... true musicians appreciate that not today’s kids who want to crank Travis Scott and do stupid dances on the field. I think both sides can agree there.

I’ve listened to the battle several times before giving my two cents just to remain objective.

JSU the Chicago song was a good start. I loved the clever ending as it wasn’t typical boom writing. Mellos died off midway through but recovered to end. This overall sounded like it needed maybe a few more practices and it’ll be a monster when called going forward.

SUs favorite “Batman” theme trumpets... y’all have what 60 plus? Only 25 of them were playing the actual runs and the rest were fluffing the technical parts very noticeably. I played trumpet 10 years so that stood out to me as I listened. The tubas were holding the base really well. But that arrangement as superior and geniusly constructed by mr.Simmons, execution was very suspect and my musical ear caught that. Rogers bros took the words out my mouth when they said, “Brian wrote the hell out of Batman but if this song was by Travis Scott or someone well known the kids would’ve taken the technical demands of that song more seriously. Any bandhead in here whose saying this smashed JSU needs to stop.. execution by the trumpets alone overshadowed how great this arrangement was . This sounded like it got handed out Monday the week of the game. Clean it up and it’s song of the year.

Rd 2

JSU was solid up to the trombone run. That left a sour taste in my mouth and was probably the poorest moment of the night for JSU in regards to technicality and musicianship. Shame because kevan Johnson wrote the hell out of that. Clean it up trumbones and that should stay in the book.

Su song selection was good but percussion dragged a lot and the tubas as well. You can hear this because when the song go to the break down simmons had to over exaggerate his counts to get the band back on tempo. Trumpets sounded very nice on this one. SU took round 2

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
JSU sounded good on so beautiful and responded nicely. My only critique for that selection is I’d like trumpfunk to really go after it more and open up. They were heard on musiq child’s adlibs to end the song, however they weren’t felt like “damn trumpfunk” like the rest of the band was giving me. Just a small critique but a very well executed song.

Su came back with a good reply. However the melody got lost in the sauce. The counter melody covered up the trumpets for me to really hear them clearly when the whole band came in together to crank. I’m not understanding why when the trumpet section are the biggest section in southerns band this year. This round was a draw.

JSU took this one because southern had a lot of fluffing early on on Batman, tempo issues, melody getting covered by counter parts that should be backing off.. small mistakes added up too much to give southern the W, and I can’t give JSUs second song pass as it was the worse but overall their song selection was not to be denied and southern really didn’t have a answer for killshot to end it. That’s my honest opinion and some things I heard that equally criticized both on equally. Boombox is better in Jackson to me. And last thing, southern stop putting the settes on the damn track smh.

Last edited:

New drills? What two new drills. Outside of the circles which aint new by the way. What new drill did the Boom do? Seriously.

Back