Black teen in Houston Texas out cutting grass and passing out business cards, gets harassed by cops.

I had a law enforcement officer tell me just a little over a year ago that police (in Texas) are not allowed to just roll up on a person and ask for ID anymore. He said a fellow officer informed him of the new law. I know they continue to do so but according to officer Bland they are no longer allowed to do this.

Bland is the same guy who encouraged me to get my CHL.

Didn't these white folks say they were taking back their country? Folks were asleep at the wheel....

Exactly...

We must be aware of our environment and situations at all time.

This is the new normal.

No doubt someone called the cops on this young man and in many cases the wrong information gets relayed and you end up with instances of police brutality or violence because some police officers simply get on CODE when they hear the word Black Male or Female.

Exactly...

We must be aware of our environment and situations at all time.

This is the new normal.

No doubt someone called the cops on this young man and in many cases the wrong information gets relayed and you end up with instances of police brutality or violence because some police officers simply get on CODE when they hear the word Black Male or Female.

Where is Black Lies Matter for this? This is where you need protest with FACTUAL information like Herbert posted. Not this kill all cops and fry them like bacon crap. I am sure some white folks don't know about that new law either. Toss out fact info instead of that other crap.

Where is Black Lies Matter for this? This is where you need protest with FACTUAL information like Herbert posted. Not this kill all cops and fry them like bacon crap. I am sure some white folks don't know about that new law either. Toss out fact info instead of that other crap.

+1

So was it illegal for him to solicit?

Some cities/municipalities have ordinances against this. The city I work for does, and we contact them all the time.

Nope. The cop says the kid didn't identify himself and that was a lie.

If he has a warrant, in Texas it is a crime to provide a false name and/or date of birth when you have been legally detained.

I had a law enforcement officer tell me just a little over a year ago that police (in Texas) are not allowed to just roll up on a person and ask for ID anymore. He said a fellow officer informed him of the new law. I know they continue to do so but according to officer Bland they are no longer allowed to do this.

Bland is the same guy who encouraged me to get my CHL.

This is true, for the most part, with this caveat. As a law enforcement officer, I can walk up and ask you anything I want, and if you answer, it falls under what is known as a "consensual encounter". In Texas, once you have been detained, it is against the law to provide a false name, address, or date of birth. If you have been arrested, in Texas it is against the law not to provide the same information at all. It is also against Texas law to provide false information when you have a warrant (which is considered Fail To Identify - Fugitive).

The key is knowing what level of encounter you are dealing with. The key in this entire investigation, IMO, hinges on the history of the neighborhood. If there has indeed been an uptick in home burglaries in the area (along with whether or not there is an ordinance governing soliciting), it would not be unreasonable for an officer to contact the young men going door to door, even for a legitimate purpose. I have investigated cases where folks posing as UPS delivery drivers have used the exact same M.O. to burglarize houses and get away with thousands of dollars worth of property.

I also must say that I haven't watched the video yet...

Let me make 2 points about this post.

1) It is a crime to be detained and provide a false name, address, or date of birth when requested by a police officer, and an enhanced crime when the person has a warrant (considered a fugitive). There is no built in defense for a "common mistake". That's an issue that must be addressed by the court.

2) As it relates to not finding the warrants....There was a similar uproar a few weeks back involving the woman who allegedly punched the horse being arrested. Her lawyers made the same claims, that even when stopped previously, the warrants never came up. In Texas, there are two main databases....Texas Crime Information Computer (TCIC) and the National Crime Information Computer (NCIC). Then there are many regional warrant databases that handle Class C (fine only) offenses like traffic warrants, simple assaults, city ordinances, etc. For instance, my agency uses the SouthEast Texas Crime Information Computer (SETCIC). Class B and above crimes/warrants are usually entered into TCIC/NCIC, and most warrant checks will find them. Traffic warrants would be entered into SETCIC. Houston PD doesn't enter their Class C warrants into SETCIC. If I wants to see if a person has a Class C warrant through Houston Police Department, I have to specifically ask for that to be run. If a Houston officer wants to see if a person has a Class C in my agency, they have to specifically ask the dispatcher to run them through SETCIC. This does not always happen on every stop in every agency. So because I stop you for a broken brake light, run you, and return no warrants through SETCIC/TCIC/NCIC, that does not necessarily mean that you don't have a traffic warrant from Houston PD, and vice versa.

Last edited:
It was a White person who called the cops. White folks got issues. As someone who has been cutting yards for years I've seen how these pieces of southern trash are. I have been cutting in this one subdivision for 17 years. Everyone in there knows me whether I cut their yards or not because it's only like 20 house's do I've cut like at least 17 of them over the years. Even with the change of ownership. So about three years ago this cat I went to AAMU with yard I cut over there had to leave home and left the money for me in a hiding place. He is white. So when I go back the next day to cut his neighbors yard he came over and ask me did I have a problem when I was out cutting. I said no. I asked him. He said the white dude who stays across the street from him came over and told him he saw me snooping around his door and that he started to come get me and put me in my place because he doesn't like the way I look. My boy knows how I get down so he was like watch that redneck. So when I pull up the next week to cut this neck and his boys sitting outside. I got out the truck made sure they saw my AR-15 I had with me, then put my glock in my shoulder holster and start cutting. Never had a another problem. White men must know you are ready to go war with them.... Usually when I cut I got my .380 on my ankle or my glock with me. Stay strapped and ready. The revolution will not be televised.

Based on the video, if the facts were as they were presented by the agency, I would venture to say this whole thing was legit. But I don't work in Harris county or in Houston, so I don't know the call history in the area or if there is an ordinance to support the initial contact. The charges being dropped tells me today either there is no ordinance, our there really hasn't been a spike. With neither of those, the reason for law enforcement contract is compromised, and everything that comes as a result of that is thrown at as a fruit of the poisonous tree.

Side note.... That go fund me for this guy had raised over $20k.

http://abc13.com/news/charges-dropp...cop/2258722/?cmp_id=sf102008042&sf102008042=1

Going back to what I said earlier, this tells me one of two things..... Either there is no ordinance that prevents what those guys were doing, or there wasn't truly the uptick in burglaries like they claimed.
You know as well as I do constables in Texas are bad LEOs. I have had my experiences with them on two separate occasions. Once, I come home and they are in my apartment for no reason. Claimed they saw someone out side my bedroom window. I looked and there were no footprints around my window. I tried filing a complaint but you know how that went.

Back