Black History Movie Pick - Birth of a Nation

pv_symbiotic

Ghetto Bourgeois
Once again it is February, that means it is Black History Month. I remember being a little kid in school and attending assemblies and decorating my classroom. I enjoyed this experience but I think that adults should take Black History Month self knowledge a step further. I think that in addition to the normal films and television specials about blacks: athletes, comedians, writers, etc. Lets expand of boundaries of the viewer-ship of black movies/documentaries.

I highly recommend Birth of a Nation. Birth of a Nation is as much a part of Black History as Harriet Tubman. If you have not seen this movie you have truly missed a hateful classic. This movie is beyond racist, I would call this movie the devils work. Any movie that gets praises from the president at the time the movie was made (1915), should required viewing from blacks. Birth of a Nation is a director?s attempt to justify the KKK and how blacks will destroy the US if the black race is educated. I had been forewarned, so the plot did not shock me. I thought that it was interesting that this movie is still being sold, so I purchased the DVD (directors-cut).

I really don?t want to tell you all what I think of the movie, I would like for everyone to watch this movie and form their own opinion. I will just say enjoy.

I remember the following words when the movie started ??the disunion of America was the bringing of blacks to the USA??

This sounds like one I won't be watching....I have a problem with these types of movies.....Can't control my anger. This is why I don't watch "Roots" anymore.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You should really watch it

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
This sounds like one I won't be watching....I have a problem with these types of movies.....Can't control my anger. This is why I don't watch "Roots" anymore.

you really should watch it and let your lil boy watch it if he is old enough... It tell a real story about our history and they way things were, from a white man's stand point. It is a good discussion film

Dtown Jag I am so happy that you have changed your mind.

Root is a recollection of what happen during slavery. Birth of a Nation can be classified as hate and lies regarding the Black Race.

You can borrow my copy. Just let me know when. Don't get mad at what you see, just do like me. I sit there and I tell yourself'...oh so this is what you think of me...'

I think that I have seen part of it. The part that I saw seemed real interesting but I couldn't finish watching it (not because of content), I will definitely try to see it in its entirety.

I heard about this movie. A few friends of mine were taking this Television class last semester and they watched in class. One of my friends in the class happened to be white.
Even he was pissed at how they tried to justify the need for the KKK. I'm going to see if that instructor still has that tape. If he does, I'm going to try and watch it this weekend.

Originally posted by pv_symbiotic

You can borrow my copy. Just let me know when. Don't get mad at what you see, just do like me. I sit there and I tell yourself'...oh so this is what you think of me...'

Okey, dokey......

he was pissed at how they tried to justify the need for the KKK

Interesting comments from your friend... Did your friend make any comments on how the black race is portrayed in the movie?

Try blockbuster, they may have a copy that you can rent.

I don't remember if he said anything about how they portrayed the black race in the movie. They watched that movie last semester. I do remember him being mad at how the movie made it seem like there was a "need" for the KKK.

Everyone should want the movie and form their own opinions, I really want to have discussions about: how blacks were trying to introduce the whites to the same social conditions that black were subject to live under, blacks should not be given the rights to bear arms. Another theme suggest that the only ?good? black is a servant black. The list goes on and on. It would be nice if others go and watch this movie.

PV_symbiotic, I'm going to see if I can borrow that tape from my instructor. My VCR is at home so, I'll try to watch it this weekend. It all depends on if my instructor lets me borrow it.

If your instructor can't loan the movie out. Then try blockbuster video. I just checked and blockbuster rents the movie out.

I'll try and get it from Blockbuster. The problem will be finding the time to watch it. Give me through the weekend. Sounds like I will be eager to discuss with others.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You forgot to give it to me on Friday. Now, is pv_symbiotic gonna give me the movie to watch before Feb. is over?

:p

Went to Blockbuster and rented it. Watched about an hour of it. Couldn't take the paraphrased readings and no sound.

Originally posted by JSTUS
Went to Blockbuster and rented it. Watched about an hour of it. Couldn't take the paraphrased readings and no sound.

JSTUS,

I know that movie is hard to watch in the beginning. I know what you mean, but you need to get past the civil war and the Lincoln assassination.

Now you have to be strong at those points, and force yourself to watch the movie. You won?t regret it. I know that you are thinking what the ?, but take a deep breath and dive back into the movie.

Sounds like something I need to see, I'm always down to be educated concerning my race. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Preciate the info:D

Welllllllll

I can't watch that movie because I already know and have experience with "how they were brought up". I love my job and I don't think a judge will accept a plea of temporary insanity because I pimped slapped somebody after watching the "Justifications of Trailer Park Living"!!!
:mad:

Re: Welllllllll

Originally posted by Jaguar Diehard
I can't watch that movie because I already know and have experience with "how they were brought up". I love my job and I don't think a judge will accept a plea of temporary insanity because I pimped slapped somebody after watching the "Justifications of Trailer Park Living"!!!
:mad:

Everyone needs to watch this movie. Don?t get mad, think of this movie as a learning tool. This is information is good information to know. Think of this movie as a class that you thought was worthless, but you had to take the class anyway. The movie is not about how they were brought up, the movie deals with how you are viewed in America and why you should not have human rights. I am amazed that this movie from 1915 is still a best seller. One of the messages of this movie is: The bringing of Africans to America will be the disunion of the great country of America.

Pay attention to how the director portrays the Senate Sessions, when we were in charge.

Originally posted by JSTUS

That's where I stopped at. I'll try again. No promises though.:(

If you made it through the civil war then you have gotten over the hump. Now the director will now increase the level of racism. The movie will spark your interest now.

Originally posted by pv_symbiotic

If you made it through the civil war then you have gotten over the hump. Now the director will now increase the level of racism. The movie will spark your interest now.

Ok. I shall see.:(

Back