Black educated women look for men with similar backgrounds

PRINCE HALL

I would love to here from all of my lovely SWAC SISTERS/BROTHERS, SINCE WE ARE LABLED AS THE TALENTED 10TH.

OK, THE FORUM IS OPEN. SO ROLL IT.

By Leroy Robinson
The Indianapolis Recorder

MAY 12, 2002

Black educated women look for men with similar backgrounds
We are aware that the percentage of African-American females in our community is slightly higher
than that of African-American males. When it comes to dating, it is often said that brothers are often
intimidated and reluctant to date sisters who make more money, who are better educated, and who
have a higher social status.

If any of this is true, the status of our African-American family is in serious trouble. If the high level
of education for females were prohibiting them from having healthy relationships, a decline in the
positive family structure in our community would be inevitable.

About 25 years ago, there were 577,000 Black females attending colleges or universities and about
523,000 Black males. Almost 20 years later, there were over 900,000 females, compared to a little
over 600,000 males. Today, Black females make up 65 percent of the Black student population on
college and university campuses across the country.

At one time, college campuses were viewed as places where educated persons could meet their
soon-to-be husbands or wives. Now, many sisters may be competing from a much smaller talent pool
of ?available? campus brothers. Studies indicate that the educated Black woman, who does not find
her mate in college, is more likely to remain unmarried.

Some may contribute to this shortage of educated Black males to the increase of ?uneducated? Black
males in the confines of the criminal justice system. With millions of young Black males being
incarcerated, on probation, or placed on parole, their chances of attending an institution of higher
learning is slim to none.

Some reports show the number of Black males, who are controlled by at least one aspect of the
criminal justice system, close to 1 million men. Reports also show that about 85 percent of the 1
million prison inmates are Black or Hispanic.

With about 1 million, or one-third, of the Black male population living under the watchful eye of the
criminal justice system, it is no wonder that some sisters turn to other types of relationships or
remain single. The availability is not there. Many sisters generally have to settle for Black males that
do not have any college experience and who often make less money than they do.

I am wondering how to put a spin on this disastrous trend to place the blame on someone outside of
the Black community. We can blame the criminal justice system for locking up all of our Black men.
We can blame the colleges and universities for not accepting as many applications from YBMs. We
can blame the college entrance exams, the high school counselors, or even the entire public school
system for not preparing our YBMs for college.

Unfortunately, the blame rests solely on the shoulders of the Black community, its professionals, its
educators, and its leadership.

Next week, I will discuss ways in which we can help increase the number of African-American males
enrolling in institutions of higher learning, while decreasing the number of them enrolling in the
institutions of ?lower? learning.

?I think it?s time we rolled up our sleeves and put ourselves at the top of our commitment list.? ?
Marian Wright Edelman, founder and president of the Children?s Defense Fund.

AMEN

I think the article is right, and I really don't have anything else to add. We have to take responsibility for our own community and do whatever's necessary to influence positive growth in Black males. Not only for our Black women, but so that we reproduce positive, intelligent, strong Black men & women & keep our community together.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back