Birth of Nation....

All these movies about slavery....and for what?! To shove supposed White supremacy down our throats?!
Africans had supreme societies long before slavery came on the scene and long before Europeans as well, but why don't we hear more about that?

Last edited:
Its what happened. We need more of this to show what they did to our ancestors. Look at how many movies they pump out about the Holocaust...you get no less than two of them joints a year. The Jewish community makes damn sure you remember that. If you ignore history it tend to repeat itself.

I'm in to see this, just gotta make sure I'm off that night. Can't be around those other folks after watching this.

I may watch Nat Turner but I am with Jayrob. I refuse to watch another movie about slavery.

I understand y'all but this is the type of mind set (ignoring the past) that they want us to have. Some schools now teach it as if African-Americans immigrated here. Not brought here like animals but immigrated. Turning our backs on a very brutal past allows them to teach our children that it really wasn't as bad as it sounds.

I understand y'all but this is the type of mind set (ignoring the past) that they want us to have. Some schools now teach it as if African-Americans immigrated here. Not brought here like animals but immigrated. Turning our backs on a very brutal past allows them to teach our children that it really wasn't as bad as it sounds.
I get it. It is history and we need to know it. I acknowledge that. I am not saying these movies shouldn't be made. Some still need to see it. Personally, I don't like seeing images of black people in subservient positions. I like seeing us on film as conquerors or whipping azz and taking names. I went to watch 12 years a slave. That movie had me so distraught when I left.

How is it turning our backs when every other movie is about slavery. Rarely is there a movie about Africa's great history long before slavery came on the scene.
The history of slavery is barely one percent of the totality of Africa's great history but we talk about that 90 percent of the time.
It's clearly meant for mind control of Black people, while ignoring Africa's great history regarding science, history, mathematics, geography, archaeology and a myriad of inventions that Europeans stole and claimed for themselves.

I get it. It is history and we need to know it. I acknowledge that. I am not saying these movies shouldn't be made. Some still need to see it. Personally, I don't like seeing images of black people in subservient positions. I like seeing us on film as conquerors or whipping azz and taking names. I went to watch 12 years a slave. That movie had me so distraught when I left.

This is good discussion!!!

And jsupop33's quote is EXACTLY and I mean EXACTLY how I feel. I know the history of people of color. I am well read and understand very well the effects of white supremacy in this world. But I too, do not care to watch movies as with people of color in as you say subservient positions. I mean, jsupop33 my man, you hit the what I like to see. I could not have said it any better.

I loved the character DJango but it was hard watching a lot of the harsh brutality that other characters suffered in the film. No way was I going to see 12 years a slave. They didn't have to give it a title. The poster for the movie itself had me feeling some type of way.

Now I used to say, if I did want to sit and really watch a good slave movie, it would have to be about Nat Turner. Now that one has finally been made, I just get the feeling that his story could be watered down, "hollywood style." ...(shrugging shoulders)... I will wait for some of you guys to tell me about it if I do have and open mind and decide to check it out....

...meanwhile, I'm waiting for a movie about Hannibal and how he conquered Rome with elephants...

This is good discussion!!!

And jsupop33's quote is EXACTLY and I mean EXACTLY how I feel. I know the history of people of color. I am well read and understand very well the effects of white supremacy in this world. But I too, do not care to watch movies as with people of color in as you say subservient positions. I mean, jsupop33 my man, you hit the what I like to see. I could not have said it any better.

I loved the character DJango but it was hard watching a lot of the harsh brutality that other characters suffered in the film. No way was I going to see 12 years a slave. They didn't have to give it a title. The poster for the movie itself had me feeling some type of way.

Now I used to say, if I did want to sit and really watch a good slave movie, it would have to be about Nat Turner. Now that one has finally been made, I just get the feeling that his story could be watered down, "hollywood style." ...(shrugging shoulders)... I will wait for some of you guys to tell me about it if I do have and open mind and decide to check it out....

...meanwhile, I'm waiting for a movie about Hannibal and how he conquered Rome with elephants...
Man, me too. I am a big Hannibal fan. I went to visit the hall of hannibal in Rome.

@JayRob I'm going to go see the Nat Turner movie. All the while waiting to see which of those Hollywood Negroes is going to push for a Harriet Tubman movie. Probably Lee Daniels LOL

I may watch Nat Turner but I am with Jayrob. I refuse to watch another movie about slavery.

Actually, you don't need to. Most of us know enough but as the younger generations get our history swept further and further under a rug, we need movies like this for THEM.. not us.

As for this movie. I would love to see how he did what he did without getting put in a tree....

I’ll probably watch the movie, eventually……..maybe on Netflix or something. But it does seem as if you’ve seen one movie about slavery, you’ve seen them all. Unfortunately, these are the types of movies black folks pay money to see. If a movie is titled the “Kingdom of Kush,” it better be about smoking weed for most black folks to watch it. lol

I’ll probably watch the movie, eventually……..maybe on Netflix or something. But it does seem as if you’ve seen one movie about slavery, you’ve seen them all. Unfortunately, these are the types of movies black folks pay money to see. If a movie is titled the “Kingdom of Kush,” it better be about smoking weed for most black folks to watch it. lol

Right because there IS some of our "good" history on the History Channel but most of us don't tune in to that...
I love history so I will watch just about ANY true story or documentary.

I just watched it. Now I had stuck with my first mind and hadn't watched it. Drinking Tito's vodka doesn't help.

Back