Birmingham Dome Update (6-10-02)

Deuce

The Birmingham News ran an article in yesterday's (6/9/02) paper regarding the proposed domed stadium and convention complex. The following is an exerpt from that article.

BJCC officials start talks with developers on dome

Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex officials have begun talking with development partners interested in helping build a proposed domed convention and sports facility.

BJCC Executive Director Frank Poe said last week he has held preliminary discussions with Alabama and out-of-state developers about the $300 million facility as well as a proposed $28 million entertainment district comprising shops, restaurants and a hotel that would be built near the current BJCC (civic center).

"It's a project extremely doable from a public-private standpoint. The developers we're talking with have good track records." A study by Deloitte & Touche last month estimated conventions, entertainment and sporting events at a domed facility would have annual economic impact of $100 million each of its first five years and create 2,800 jobs in its first year. The facility and entertainment district would provide $60 million in state and local taxes during its first five years, the study said.

The BJCC proposes selling naming rights, personal seat licenses, luxury boxes and advertising for the 70,000 seat stadium that would be a central component of the new domed convention and sports facility. Money raised would go into a reserve account controlled by the BJCC board and used by an event marketing group the complex would hire to go after events such as NCAA basketball tournament games, the southeastern conference football championship and the southwestern athletic conference football championship.

Though funding isn't complete and it would take nearly three years to build the proposed facility, Poe said the BJCC wants to have marketing teams and developers in place now because destinations for conventions and sporting events are often planned years in advance.

I know that Bama is Crimson Tide/Tiger crazy when it comes to football, but I wonder if B'ham would consider getting an NFL franchise. I'm tired of those dayum Steeldogs.:mad:

Originally posted by 2Dirty

. . . I wonder if B'ham would consider getting an NFL franchise . . .

2Dirty,

Birmingham has been "considering" that for years. It almost happened in 1998 when a group of B'ham doctors attempted to move the Vikings to the Magic City.

The deal collapsed and the team stayed in Minnesota. Coincidentally, this was the record-setting year for the Vikings when Randall Cunningham was QB and Randy Moss was unstoppable. I would have loved to have seen that team in Legion Field.

LA is the NFL's top priority. I am surprised they went to Nashville. I doubt Birmingham is at the top of an expansion list. Relocated list? Maybe but their TV market ain't that attractive. You only get 1 Green Bay.

Blu Panther,

Birmingham's TV market is not a "Green Bay", as you put it. The Birmingham metro area is more comparable to Jacksonville, FL. The metro area has over a million people and within 100 miles of B'ham (which includes Montgomery, Huntsville as well as metro Atlanta) several million people live.

An established, successful team like the Vikings would have pulled fans from Jackson, MS in the west to Atlanta (yes Atlanta) in the East, and from Nashville (yes Nashville) in the north to Mobile in the south.

But although B'ham would like a professional team to anchor the dome, the way the plan is drawn up, an anchor tennant is not needed. Consequently, NFL or no NFL, the dome can and should become a reality.

The Dome will be built in B'ham. Old money still exist in B'ham.

The Dome in Birmingham is GS

GS=Good $hit.

Get ready. (no pun intended :cool: )

When the dome is built, the SCG will be even more successfull than it is now, the SEC championship will come back and pro sports will debute in da Ham. I professi that even the Heritage Bowl will get "restless" in Atlanta, as will the Pioneer Bowl.

oh,, my bad.

You mean to tell me,,, the champs of the SWAC and MEAC(or whoever we send) don't play no more??? You gotta be kidding me! :eek2:

Back