Birmingham Dome Update (10-22-04)

AAMU Alum said:
Co-sign.

Let Hurricane Hildegard (or one of Ivan's other siblings) come through Jacksonville (FL) during one of the upcoming ACC Championship games, and they might be willing to move to a dome in Birmingham themselves.

Hurricane season ends in November and therefore would not have an impact on the ACC championship game.

FVS Wildkitten said:
Hurricane season ends in November and therefore would not have an impact on the ACC championship game.

Hurrican season ends when GOD wants it to end.

Yes, I know what you are saying, but although rare, there have been hurricanes in December before.

the band fan said:
this is the slowest building dome I've ever seen...

You aint lieing!

Usually when a city builds a new stadium or whatever, their intentions are to get/lure some kind of professional team to that city. I dont understand the reason for building a Dome, if that aint Birminghams purpose.

"Snake"

Snake,

Most of the time, cities don't announce their plans to build a dome until they have most or all of the financial pieces in place. Maybe that was Birmingham's mistake. They announced they were gonna build it, then went out to get the money. That's why it seems so long.

Who knows, other cities may have been working for YEARS behind the scenes to secure funding, THEN announced, and shortly thereafter, built their domes.

As for needing a pro franchise as a tennant, that would be great, but it is not necessary. As majiksity mentioned earlier, this facility will be much, much more than just a football stadium. But if you know of any NFL teams that would like to relocate, I'm sure B'ham would love to have 'em. :nod2:

Deuce said:
Snake,

Most of the time, cities don't announce their plans to build a dome until they have most or all of the financial pieces in place. Maybe that was Birmingham's mistake.If thats the case, big azzz mistake. It gives the impression that it aint gone happen. I mean they been talkin about this for years; and everytime I go through B-ham or whatever, year after year, I never see any signs of dirt being moved, old buildings knocked down, etc. in preparation for the construction

Who knows, other cities may have been working for YEARS behind the scenes to secure funding, THEN announced, and shortly thereafter, built their domes.Yeah, good point....I can see that happening

As for needing a pro franchise as a tennant, that would be great, but it is not necessary. As majiksity mentioned earlier, this facility will be much, much more than just a football stadium. But if you know of any NFL teams that would like to relocate, I'm sure B'ham would love to have 'em. Mann them pro franchises have major potential to generate a lot of money. Plus by B-Ham having a new arena could lead to hosting "Major" sporting events; i.e. Super Bowl, Final Fours, All-Star Games, etc. thats major loot for the city, ya know

AAMU Alum said:
Who told you that?

You do not have to take my word for it. The info is readily available and can be found on the NOAA's website.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/G1.html

Subject: G1) When is hurricane season ?

The Atlantic hurricane season is officially from 1 June to 30 November. There is nothing magical in these dates, and hurricanes have occured outside of these six months, but these dates were selected to emcompass over 97% of tropical activity. The Atlantic basin shows a very peaked season from August through October, with 78% of the tropical storm days, 87% of the minor (Saffir-Simpson Scale categories 1 and 2 - see Subject D1) hurricane days, and 96% of the major (Saffir-Simpson categories 3, 4 and 5) hurricane days occurring then (Landsea 1993). Maximum activity is in early to mid September. Once in a few years there may be a tropical cyclone occurring "out of season" - primarily in May or December.

There are still a lot of financing issues that have to be settled before construction of the dome and convention center can begin construction. I think that it will be difficult to finalize the financing portion because of the many objections to the project from people or groups that can derail the project.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1098869048252570.xml

BJCC offers to settle stadium tax lawsuits

Asks county, city for $10 million yearly for 35 years

Wednesday, October 27, 2004
ERIC VELASCO
News staff writer

Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex officials offered last week to settle lawsuits over taxes earmarked for a domed stadium if the county and city each commit $10 million yearly for 35 years for the dome.

County Commission President Larry Langford learned about the offer Tuesday, hours after the commission set a Jan. 1 deadline for the BJCC to line up all its financial backers; otherwise, the county would pull its money from the dome project. The county already is committed to $10 million a year, but it is unclear how long that commitment extends.

Commissioners Mary Buckelew, Gary White and Bettye Fine Collins also said Tuesday they would not support any further funding commitments for the dome after Jan. 1.

Langford said the settlement offer illustrates why dome backers have had so much trouble nailing down money for the $498 million, 70,000-seat domed stadium and 240,000 square feet of convention space....

Birmingham and Jefferson County governments had challenged the constitutionality of two 2003 tax bills that together would raise about $3.8 million a year toward financing the dome. One imposed a "user's fee" at the BJCC that would be paid instead of sales tax. The other allowed the BJCC to get proceeds from a tax on some alcoholic beverages sold in Jefferson County restaurants. Under those two bills, the county stands to lose $1 million in sales tax from the BJCC, and the city $2 million.

But in April, Jefferson County Circuit Judge J. Scott Vowell threw out the two tax bills, saying the Legislature didn't have enough members present to pass them...

Frank Poe, BJCC's executive director, said he had no problem with the commission's Jan. 1 deadline, saying it mirrored an informal policy the BJCC board already had established...

Poe noted that Birmingham Mayor Bernard Kincaid has said he will ask the City Council for an additional $5 million a year and said he believes Gov. Bob Riley will provide $5 million a year by the end of the year.

But the Birmingham City Council already has balked at Kincaid's desire to add $31 million in spending on other projects not included in the budget the council passed in late June. Kincaid said Tuesday he would approach the council for dome money "at the proper time" after "getting some ducks in a row...."

The commission threatened to yank dome money earlier this year during a dispute with the county legislative delegation over transit funding. Legislators responded with a bill that would have forced a $10 million commitment through 2038. It passed the House but died in the Senate.

White, who said he never has favored the dome... doesn't believe that the dome, which voters rejected in 1998, has the support of either the public or business. The 1998 vote was on the Metropolitan Area Projects Strategy, or MAPS, a series of civic improvements that included a domed stadium....

Collins said... would not vote for any continued funding unless it were put to a vote of the people.

"In my district, people are outraged that we seem to be implementing MAPS piece by piece when they already have voted it down," she said.

Back