Bill Russell a Legend RIP

I started watching basketball on TV, college and pro, after he retired from the Celtics. Recently, I saw a video clip of Bobby Knight talking about the best player (Michael Jordan) and the smarter person (Red Aurebach) in basketball. He said that Bill Russell was the most valuable player. It was not his only comments about Russell, and I think that Knight was a big fan of him. BTW I rooted hard against Indiana in the NCAA tournament when Knight was coaching.

As far as color commentators, Russell was as good as there was in sports. I mean all sports.

Many fans remember Madden and Summerall. Before that duo, there were Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis doing AFC games. Let's not forget Joe Morgan on Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN. Yet, there was Bill Russell.

His work off the court needs to be looked at more. My father respected him for those things.

Rest in peace to a champion on and off the court.

Twitter trend

Last edited:
Praying Rest In Peace GIF by INTO ACTION

Bill Russell was a late bloomer. Before the college basketball accolades and a pair of national championships, before the 11 NBA titles and five MVPs, before he became the most fearsome defensive player ever and a man firmly entrenched in the conversation for the greatest player of all time, there was a gangly, 5-foot-10 kid from Oakland's McClymonds High School who believed a job in the shipyards was in his future.

There proved to be so much more.

Boston Celtics great Bill Russell, 11-time NBA champion, dies at 88​

Makes me sad to see how Kareem has gone out

Yet athletes these days give the bare minimum (if that) for fear of losing money

Kareem have principles that money can't buy. He is well-respected. But, he will not tolerate a lot of bullshyt.

People can say what they want about M.J. But, he has given a number of opportunities to black people. In my book, that's bigger than being a SJW.

As a kid, I used to love to read and hear about Bill's dominance with the team he was a part off and how for the longest time Wilt and company just could not beat them.

I respect him even more to be in the position of a coach as well. I know it was not easy being a trailblazer but he reminded me that in order to do so, you have to be strong willed and tough when it's time.

With all of that being said, I love this moment as well. It was just too funny to me and also confirmed that there is a time a place for everything, including letting your guard down and loosening up (plus Chuck deserved it like he has with so many of his stupid comments over the years).-->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11uzH-QUDxk

Last edited:
With all of that being said, I love this moment as well. It was just too funny to me and also confirmed that there is a time a place for everything, including letting your guard down and loosening up (plus Chuck deserved it like he has with so many of his stupid comments over the years).-->
Chuck has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Back