• Texas Southern VS Prairie View

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mississippi Valley VS Alcorn State

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
THE MERE MENTION OF THE ICON GRAMBLING DRAWN FANS, USUALLY MORE THAN SOMES OWN HOMECOMING, SO MOST ASSUME ITS A RIVALRY.

Biggest games for PV, UAPB, SU, and TSU (depending on the place) is Icon Grambling. We are still the <font size=7<I</font>_ _ _ of _ _ _; therefore, the SWAC's biggest rivalry will revolve around the G-MEN.

Nuff posted.

One old and heated rivalry that is getting overlooked is GSU/Alcorn. This game has a lot of history and was always the focus of attention (season opener and very pivotal in the SWAC race). Dr. Thomas struggled early on, but seems to be headed in the right direction. This year's game will get a lot of attention.

When I first enrolled at GSU in 74, we played the "Cone" in GSU in a day game. The hitting was so hard and fierce that fans were leaving with headaches and concussions. The Godfather always had some physical teams and gave the GMen all we could handle.
As a matter of fact, it was in the 74 game that Alcorn broke GSU's Joe Comeaux's arm and Doug became the starting qb. (Alcorn won that game). As a matter of fact, Doug's qb record was 2-2 against the Braves (they were the only SWAC team he didn't finish above .500 against as he went 4-0 against everyone else, except JSU who he was 3-1 against).

There has been many interested and hard fought games against Alcorn. Even during the years that this game was played in S'port on an annual basis as THE RED RIVER CLASSIC. I remember caravans of Alcorn and GSU fans driving 1-10 west to S'port for an evening of football and wild after parties in the Port City. Dayum, we might need to revisit those days real soon!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I VOTE FOR JSU/SU

Originally posted by Paulo

SU/JSU - Don't got to be a classic to be great rivalry with the swac's best two fans and top bands in black college.Love to see both schools play.

Anyone remember the year (I think it was 1996) Jackson State
football team arrived at Mumford stadium about an hour late? JSU's coach James Carson said "Southern sabotaged the bus because it wouldn't start.

Re: I VOTE FOR JSU/SU

Originally posted by SUJAG

SU/JSU - Don't got to be a classic to be great rivalry with the swac's best two fans and top bands in black college.Love to see both schools play.

football team arrived at Mumford stadium about an hour late? JSU's coach James Carson said "Southern sabotaged the bus because it wouldn't start.

I remember. I also remember the year, Southern sold the seats reserved for Jackson State's band.

JSU/SU has my vote

Originally posted by JR

The JSU/SU rivalry has grown since Pete came onboard at SU. I mean besides not having TV coverage(which is a damn shame)(BET needs to be shot). You have 2 competative football teams. The games are always decided by a play or 2. The crowd is into it. The bands are the SWAC's best 2. I mean what more can ask for. I love the BC, but it is so commercial now. And it is a show in itself. So its more than a game. JSU vs SU is what black college football is all about. Especially when it is played in Jackson.(I am biased on that statement being from Jackson). Electricity is in the air and the game is played outdoors where football is meant to be played.

The biggest football game is BCF, that's not a Classic.

Actually that would be the year that SU fan thought it would be a good idea to cut the brake lines on the bus. Nevermind that fact that 40 students could have died.....but you won the game....mission accomplished I guess.

I almost fell over when I read this. Somebody from SU actually remembers this. Been trying to tole y'all for years that SU fan will do anything to help SU beat JSU. Cutting brake lines, causing the team to be an hour late, and not to mention putting them in harm's way as GR pointed out. Hell, and JSU got several delay of game penalties for that. LOL.

I'm getting in on this late, but I'm reading stuff about attendance and TV and classics, but NONE of that stuff got a thing to do with a rivalry. JSU-Alcorn used to be a fierce rivalry, but beating them every year since that guy left has taken away a lot of the luster. If L.C. Cole and Bama State beat JSU one more damn time, they gonna become my rival, if nobody elses. Right now, I don't feel no serious contempt for Bama State. I only have serious contempt for Alcorn and SU.

To me, a rivalry is about that competitive hatred for the other school. And it shows on the field. As has been stated, you ain't gotta put a classic label on JSU-SU. That game sells itself. In the middle of the season on each school's home field. That's a rivalry.

Re: Re: I VOTE FOR JSU/SU

Originally posted by Robber
If L.C. Cole and Bama State beat JSU one more damn time, they gonna become my rival, if nobody elses. Right now, I don't feel no serious contempt for Bama State.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

rob,
After Oct. 12, you're gonna be feeling a whole lotta contempt for ASU!!!! A whole lot!!!!!!!
I'll just continue to feel pity for jsue.
:(

The Magic City Classic (Bama State vs. A & M) is the biggest high school classic around. You have two of the worst bands in the SWAC and two of the worst school support in the SWAC. The only reason people go to the Magic City is to get the backwoods of Alabama and come to B'ham and party. JSU/SU are truly alumni and students of the both universities. JSU/SU are prime examples of what school spirit is about.

Re: Re: Re: Rivalry

Originally posted by Dtown Jag

For the first time, I'd have to agree with you GR....y'all don't like us and we dayum sure don't like y'all.

Actually Dtown...I love yall. I never laughed so hard in my life after last years game watching yall walk back to your cars pouting.....as if you really though you were going to beat Robert Kent.

Originally posted by tbonenupe
The Magic City Classic (Bama State vs. A & M) is the biggest high school classic around. You have two of the worst bands in the SWAC and two of the worst school support in the SWAC. The only reason people go to the Magic City is to get the backwoods of Alabama and come to B'ham and party. JSU/SU are truly alumni and students of the both universities. JSU/SU are prime examples of what school spirit is about.

*SMH*

Board:

Don't pay any attention to this fool. This hatred is deeper than the SWAC....it may even be from his childhood.

From reading his post, you wouldn't think this clown was actually FROM ALABAMA, now would you? ;)
The good thing is that they DO have counseling for stuff like this...:lol:

But anyway, I look at it like this...

In SWAC football, the top rivalries are:

SU vs GSU
AAMU vs ASU
SU vs JSU
JSU vs Corn

As far as SWAC Sports in general go, the biggest rivalries are:

AAMU vs ASU
SU vs GSU
PV vs TXSU
JSU vs Corn

IF THE ICON VS. su GAME WASN'T A CLASSIC, WITH OUT THE B.O.T.B. , THE PAGEANT, JOB FAIR AND THE COACHES LUNCHEON. IT STILL WOULD BE BIG. IF THE GAME WAS MOVED TO ANOTHER CITY OUT OF LOUISIANA IT WOULD BE BIG.
FYI: THE jsu vs. su game in 2000 was called the GRIDIRON CLASSIC.

Originally posted by GSUperTiger

Biggest games for PV, UAPB, SU, and TSU (depending on the place) is Icon Grambling. We are still the <font size=7<I</font>_ _ _ of _ _ _; therefore, the SWAC's biggest rivalry will revolve around the G-MEN.

true

Speaking for TSU, GSU is not their biggest game. That game had to be put on their homecoming schedule at times just to attract a decent crowd. GSU alone will not stand because GSU's support outside New Orleans is very unstable. Hell, if GSU and TSU was so big that band would show up, right? If it was so big TSU would have no problem with paying for that crap.

As for PV, when the game was not in Dallas it was average at best. GSU is playing PV in Dallas for proximity reasons as well as to give black folks a day at the state fair. I rather play SU in Dallas if you ask me.

GSU is a school that happens to be in the right place at the right times when it comes to classics. Take away those classics, GSU is no more than a Alcorn when it comes to fans. I wonder how financially would they be?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Blu Panther
I rather play SU in Dallas if you ask me.

We didn't ask. They can play su in Dallas if they wish. When it is pv home game take it to Dallas. You act as if pv can only have one game in Dallas.

Originally posted by Blu Panther
. Hell, if GSU and TSU was so big that band would show up, right? If it was so big TSU would have no problem with paying for that crap.

. I rather play SU in Dallas if you ask me.

GSU is a school that happens to be in the right place at the right times when it comes to classics. Take away those classics, GSU is no more than a Alcorn when it comes to fans. I wonder how financially would they be?

Wow....This dude just put down the truth. CAnt hate on this. GRam, say it aint so. You dont even take your band to Houston? You cant be the ICON if you dont even take your band to Houston.

BTW Blue Panther....

Alcorn fans support the Braves much better than Grambling. Alcorn has actually won an attendance title....whereas Grambling doesnt have the fan support to do so.

NT

You ever thought that that guy might just be telling the unbiased truth since he is from Alabama?

Originally posted by Get Ready

NT

You ever thought that that guy might just be telling the unbiased truth since he is from Alabama?

GR:

I considered that, but this cat ALWAYS does this. IF anybody says anything remotely complementary about A&M, Bama State, or the state in general...this clown comes in to tear it down as if he never had no part of the area.
It's kinda like self hate or something.
Like a brotha getting out of the hood, making a decent living, then berating everything that he was apart of, the people who are still there, and anything associated with his past.

Like I said...that's some deeply embedded stuff there. Dude has some kind of complex. :lol:

I just hate it when somebody tries to tell "us" who our biggest rival is. News flash.... Grambling's not it. Grambling is probably second or third when it comes to rivalries but most definatley not our top rival.

I couldn't tell you when was the last time I saw that GSU wheelbarrow in Houston.

Originally posted by Get Ready

Alcorn fans support the Braves much better than Grambling. ...whereas Grambling doesnt have the fan support to do so.

I GUESS TEAMS WITH REGIONAL BASE WOULD THINK THAT WAY.

Icon Grambling was second in D-IAA in attendance in 2001. When I was at Grambling, students were from all parishes in the Louisiana, 41 states, and 74 foreign countries. Gram had the most diverse enrollment in the state of Louisana. Grambling is an international institution. Always has been, and always will. Although the enrollment has dropped, Grambling still has an extremely diverse enrollment. People have always been attracted to Grambling. We could have a football game in Antartica, and sell out. We have gone from the Bronx, New York to Portland, OR to Japan, and sold out the the stadium.

People come from all over the World to attend Grambling. Having such a diverse student body, I would bet less than 5% of the students stay in the Grambling area, and we still are on top in attendance. You clowns finally cross the Mason Dixon line, and want to smack. LOL.

Mach, regional based is too aggressive of statement; most of these clowns are city-based. We are World Famed.

http://www.swacpage.com/article147.shtml

Originally posted by GSUperTiger
Icon Grambling was second in D-IAA in attendance in 2001.

1 OR MORE OF THE GAMES THAT WE PLAY ANNUALLY, IN WHICH THE ICON WAS THE HOME TEAM, WAS NOT COUNTED IN 2001.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

I GUESS TEAMS WITH REGIONAL BASE WOULD THINK THAT WAY.

Mach, you have said this several times but this time I want to ask you what your problem is? I mean if GSU ain't even local, how can they be national?? GSU has failed to draw crowds in Bham, Memphis, and Chicago that were bigger than the crowds JSU has drawn. The only place you have drawn a crowd is in INDY and anyone can pull a crowd in that Classic. When you get to where JSU is in fan support, let a brother know. We had five games in Jackson last year and on a clear night, Gram came in 4th place. But I guess that a school that is 7th in enrollment in a 10 team conference, that is the best you can do. Why don't you use some of your national appeal to recruit some students?

TP,

GO BEYOND THE SOUTH AND MENTION JACKSON. THE RESPONSE YOU WILL GET IS "THE CAPITOL ON MISSISSIPPI. YOU ARE A NON-FACTOR WHEN IT COMES TO NAME RECOGNITION AND DRAW OUT SIDE OF THE SOUTH. YOU SCHOOL IS LOCATED IN THE CAPITOL YET 6,500 STUDENTS IS ALL YOU HAVE. DON'T TALK ABOUT LOCAL. YOU SAY YOU ARE LOGICAL BUT YET YOU FAIL TO LOOK AT FACTS. THE DRAWN OF THE TOP CLASSICS...GRAMBLING THE ICON WILL APPEAR. WHEN PROMOTERS ARE LOOKING TO START NEW CLASSICS THEY COME TO THE ICON FIRST. LAS VEGAS, LOS ANGELES, , GOLD COAST, VANPORT, RIVERFRONT, CIRCLE CITY, BAHAMAS. (THAT IS FACT) LOOK FOR MORE GAMES OUT OF THE COUNTRY, AND IN CITIES LIKE OAKLAND, DETROIT AND OTHER SOON...jsu MAYBE INVITED THE 3 OR 4TH YEAR AFTER famu AND su. CHECK THE FACTS ABOUT THE ATTENDANCE 2001...PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. GRAMBLING IS MORE POPULAR IN MISSISSIPPI THAN JACKSON IS....:lmao:

GRAMBLING CAN'T DRAW IN GRAMBLIN-HAM :lmao: whatever. JUST TRY TO GET BACK THERE.

Tigerpride,
Could you name the rankings of the ten universities of the SWAC according to their student population. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Southern the largest HBCU in the SWAC, or in the country period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back