"B'ham's Legion Field could get dome"!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Mixed feelings on this one. My knee-jerk was this cuke is more wacked out than Larry Langford, but lets just humor her for a moment. If you could pull this off, there would be a land rush in the run down hoods surrounding Legion field. much/most of the residential developments would be bought, bulldozed and redeveloped into a massive commercial/entertainment district.

ok who am i fooling? once black leaders got wind of that, there would be a massive backlash against "unbridled" capitalism and unless there was laws to guarantee that the Smithfield area would remain as is except for the expansion/doming of Legion field, the proposal would go nowhere.

a very interesting idea, but it ain't happening because of the demographics of the area and not being part of the central business district of downtown which ONB et al are working so hard to improve. again, great idea though, you could build a nice light rail link between the stadium and downtown and redevelop the length of it commercially. very good imagination by this councilwoman i must say.

Maybe they can give the people in Kansas City a call, and get their take on it. I'm not sure when but I think it was just last year, that they started talking about putting a retractable dome on Arrowhead Stadium, in hopes of luring a Superbowl to KC. They did a study on cost, and if they builing could actually hold a domed roof, because it wasn't engineeried for it. I don't know how far they've gotten, or if the project is still in motion, but I'm sure their findings could assist B'Ham (at least in the cost department).

NICE

I have to agree GUT. Memphis is out, ATL is out also. NOLA, Jackson or maybe Mobile. :nod:

The SWAC could use a point system to consider the location of the championship. The school with the most points (inlcuding win-lose, won by how many points, etc) host the championship on their campus or choose the venue.

Really the only way you will have the attendance is that you have a location that is feasible for the fans. I think Jackson or NO would be the idea location but this song has been song so many times. It's considered a classic now.

I like (in this order):

1.) Houston--I think it would be good for neutral fans and could grow into an event.
2.) Jackson--may not be a big event but I think with 3 SWAC schools in the state and it's central location, a lot SWAC fans could drive to the game.
3.) New Orleans-- Something tells me that New Orleans is not going to support this so close to the Bayou Classic. The average BCF would probably prefer to travel somewhere else....Houston... :Idea:

I think...

...after the current contract ends, it will be renewed and be right back in B'ham, because I know these other cities don't want it. :nod:

That is all.

Mobile, Jackson and New Orleans all sound good to me. My first preference would be Mobile and Jackson.

Mobile, Jackson and New Orleans all sound good to me. My first preference would be Mobile and Jackson.

Somebody need to show Mobile how to host a regular HBCU weekend first.
Just having the liquor, bottle, and package stores open till 1 am ain't gonna cut it.:shame:

N.O.............Someone said it before...................Date is too close to the B.C.
Jackson is best location.................BUT................People would scream to hell and back playing the Championship game on JSU's home turf.

:topic:
People talking bout a roof over Legion Field.
Wasn't B-Ham or some city in Alabama supposed to build a brand new dome.
I remember people posting about that in a similar thread last year.

For my money, domes are out of style and takes away from the game atmosphere.
Football should be played outdoors..................especially in the South.
We may get cold, but ain't no 10 feet of snow gonna fall down here.:eek:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dahill,

I like Mobile because of it's I-10 location. This would make it relatively easy to get to for most fans. Plus Ladd-Pebbles stadium only seats about 45,000 which is more than enough for the SCG.

They still dangling that dome carrot huh?

Uuuummmm.....the SCG needs to be moved to Houston baby HOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUSSSSSTOOON

I think...

...after the current contract ends, it will be renewed and be right back in B'ham, because I know these other cities don't want it. :nod:

That is all.

Funny... since the Houston Sports Authority said they would like to have it.

Post link to this affirmation please.

That is all.
http://www.hchsa.org/news/minutes/8-26-03.html

Report from CEO: Oliver Luck began his report by reviewing the upcoming events: September 4, 2003, 10:30 a.m., is the ribbon cutting for the Toyota Center; and September 13, 2003, beginning at noon, is the Open House for the Toyota Center. Mr. Luck advised that admission to the open house will be free and the parking garage will also be open at no charge.

Mr. Luck advised further that the Sports Authority is being honored at a ?Keep Houston Beautiful? luncheon on September 29, 2003 at 11:30a.m.

Mr. Luck reported on the Minute Maid Park roof and advised that the Sports Authority and Astros have agreed to have Bill Coats, with Coats & Rose law firm, assist in resolving this matter.

Mr. Luck advised that there will be several thousand journalists in town during the week preceding the Super Bowl. The Sports Authority would like to organize some activities that will give the Sports Authority the opportunity to show the journalists not only Reliant Stadium, but Minute Maid Park and the Toyota Center as well.

Mr. Luck reported and updated on the organizations that will hold their sporting events in Houston. The SWAC colleges, historically black colleges, have agreed to bring their Spring Sports Championship to Houston in 2004. This event is over a two weekend period. Approximately 2,400 rooms will be rented during this time and will generate revenues for the HOT tax. The SWAC host their annual Football Championship game in Birmingham, Alabama at Legion Field, and are committed to one more year. The SWAC Commissioner and the Texans are meeting regarding the possibility of the SWAC Football Championships being held at Reliant Stadium in the future.

Mr. Luck also advised that there has been some interest with City Council to bring back the Grand Prix races to Houston. Mr. Luck concluded and advised he would keep the Board informed as things develop.

That's cool. So they're meeting. Let's see what comes out of it, and what kinds of incentives they offer to get it.

lets face it, Birmingham ain't the place...there aren't alot of people there with SWAC ties who are used to going out to these type of events...a different type of negro lives there....

if BHam was so happening, why did Auburn and Alabama stop playing a game there?

the city has proven its support with the lack of fans at the football, baseball and basketball tournaments...what more do they need to realize it ain't happening

Back