BET Awards/State of Rap cont...

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
Boom,
69 boyz was garbage too. The only people I knew growing up who was bumping the tootsie roll, was females. I can only speak for myself but the only dance song artist that I liked growing up was Hammer, but hell, I was 7 years old at the time.

Another difference between MC Hammer and Soulja boy and crew is that Hammer never tried to portray that he was a thug. Now, we got these cats who want to be a thug on one track but making dance songs on the next. I blame D4L. When the Laffy Taffy made it big, I knew that Hip Hop was dying:shame:.

Man, even the strictly party/dance songs were better in the 90's and early 2000's...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mxVauTbyy6w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mxVauTbyy6w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_PDns23RWY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_PDns23RWY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ar6yL37XifU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ar6yL37XifU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBjDu21c0cA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBjDu21c0cA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Boom,
69 boyz was garbage too. The only people I knew growing up who was bumping the tootsie roll, was females. I can only speak for myself but the only dance song artist that I liked growing up was Hammer, but hell, I was 7 years old at the time.

Another difference between MC Hammer and Soulja boy and crew is that Hammer never tried to portray that he was a thug. Now, we got these cats who want to be a thug on one track but making dance songs on the next. I blame D4L. When the Laffy Taffy made it big, I knew that Hip Hop was dying:shame:.

Why wasn't it dying when the DJ of the World Class Wrecking Crew came out trying to be a gangster? Or when an actor/ballet dancer had "Thug Life" tatted on his chest?

Boom,

Dude have u seen the Its All Good video when Hammer came out all hard????
Tupac started out as a background dancer for Digital Underground then when got solo he was THUGLIFE. And as much as i loved Tupac he was no thug.
I dont wanna so much get into the music debate bc everybody is not gonna like the same music.

I just didnt understand ole dude when he said BET is bringing the down the Black race. How can a TV channel do that?? I hear people say they are not watching BET but yet watch FOX and CW. Do yall when FOX and the CW started they had all black shows. FOX had Martin, In Living Color, Living Single to give them good ratings but they aint had a black show on since. Same with the WB had Wayans Bro, Half and Half, All of Us, Girlfriends, Jamie FOxx show. You can see a black show on that station. But guess what station is currently playing all those shows. B. E muthafukkin T. BET even bringing back The Game which the CW put on Fridays so people wouldnt watch it. I asked ole dude to name some Coonfest moments and he couldnt name em but yet he claims BET is not uplifting the race. GTFOH. Yall never hear white folks say MTV is bringing down the white race.

I hear people say they are not watching BET but yet watch FOX and CW. Do yall when FOX and the CW started they had all black shows. FOX had Martin, In Living Color, Living Single to give them good ratings but they aint had a black show on since. Same with the WB had Wayans Bro, Half and Half, All of Us, Girlfriends, Jamie FOxx show. You can see a black show on that station. But guess what station is currently playing all those shows. B. E muthafukkin T. BET even bringing back The Game which the CW put on Fridays so people wouldnt watch it.

Yep. :tup: and I hate to get off topic, but folks also be killin me (not just folks on here, but in general) talkin about Tyler Perry shows are c**n-like and bafoonery- especially with the Madea and Brown characters....but Martin did the same thing back in the 90's with a variety of characters like Shenehneh, Momma Payne, Roscoe, Mr. Otis, and my favorite- Jerome. I'm not understanding that logic. :noidea: But I'm glad BET is bringing back "The Game." I actually like that show and I missed many episodes since they moved it to Fridays. :rolleyes:

Yall never hear white folks say MTV is bringing down the white race.

Nope. And like I said before, I wonder did white folks complain when the "Blue Collar Comedy" Show came out? :lol:

I was a big supporter of the Jamie Foxx Show, Steve Harvey show, Fresh Prince, Living Single and the other black sitcoms. I can't speak for others. Yes, 2pac was a background dancer but he was also the son of two panthers, the militancy was in his blood. His music touched on many different topics and he was able to speak about important issues from a street perspective.

Now back to BET, do you remember when BET had BET Nighty News and Teen Summit? It seemed that BET atleast used to attempt to tackle issues important to African Americans. I have watched BET only three times over the past two years, (2009 BET Awards, Story about Obesity in Jackson, and when King James video debuted last year). I don't really care for 106 and Park anymore and I seriously hate reality TV. I will check out an episode of American Gangster every now and then. Personally, I feel that if a station is going to dubb itself as the go-to station for Black America, it should do a little more to shed light on issues that particularly affect African Americans that may be missed by the mainstream media. Thing about how many people they could have helped if they would have shed a spotlight on how Wells Fargo was using black media figures and preachers in order to pimp more African American families into predatory loans? That would be more helpful than putting a crackhead on TV.

Before you go to talking about MTV. I think all of Viacom is pure garbage. However, whites can tune into CNN, MSNBC, and Fox to find out info on things that may affect them. Do blacks have to wait till CNN does another "Black in America" documentary to get some insight. Thank God for Tom Joyner and Steve Harvey.

Nope. And like I said before, I wonder did white folks complain when the "Blue Collar Comedy" Show came out? :lol:

White people have a variety of options to get news on issues that effect their communities. Blacks don't. We have to wait on one of the morning shows or Black Enterprise to cover it. As I stated earlier, when Wells Fargo was pimping us into predatory loans, BET was quiet.

http://washingtonindependent.com/72...ells-fargo-targeted-blacks-for-subprime-loans

The Congressional Black Caucus was fighting their hardest to get a summer jobs bill passed to stem violence in the black community. Where was BET?

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/101887-cbc-faces-a-tough-fight-to-win-summer-jobs-vote-

Yeah, BET loves to follow crackheads around with TV cameras but on the issues that truly effect the black community they are too quiet IMO. bet.com is a little better than their on-air content because they normally have some informational articles up there.

Pops apparently you misunderstood all my post. I agree most of the artist now are garbage or cheap imitations of better artist. I was never into any of the dance artist back in the day. But we had our fare share of Soulja Boy type artist. I have never toosie rolled, I have bank head bounced to outkast though.

Some of the artist you posted I hated. Bone Thugs, Crucial conflict were not my style.

Shoot Ice cube was jamming then he went all Yeah, Yeah and I had to leave him alone. He also went to college when he was claiming thug. Plies was Val of his college class and holds a degree in Eglish Lit. There are a lot of fake MC's. who have put out great music not all thought provoikng but great music.

Drake is garbage to me. Jeezy saved his performance. He's a nerd from Canada that spent time in Memphis and learned how to rap. But his delivery get old quick and he really can't sing.

Dude my Hip Hop runs deep. From Run, DMC, the Wu, Outkast, Mobb Deep, Nas,Eightball MjG,UGK, Roots, Riza, goodie mob,Tribe call Quest, Wale, Mos Def, Talib, Guru, Too Short, Scarface, Jay, Nas, Biggie, Lupe...etc..etc.. I like TI,Jeezy, and a few new artist but I hate all this new dance rap, make up a dance crap. But don't act like we didn't have some mess growing up too.

Yep. :tup: and I hate to get off topic, but folks also be killin me (not just folks on here, but in general) talkin about Tyler Perry shows are c**n-like and bafoonery- especially with the Madea and Brown characters....but Martin did the same thing back in the 90's with a variety of characters like Shenehneh, Momma Payne, Roscoe, Mr. Otis, and my favorite- Jerome. I'm not understanding that logic. :noidea: But I'm glad BET is bringing back "The Game." I actually like that show and I missed many episodes since they moved it to Fridays. :rolleyes:

Its a show called My Name is Earl about white folks in the trailer park and i have yet to hear any white person say anything about bringing down the white race.

Oh yes Martin, Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx been dressing in drag for years. Matter of fact Skank Robbers is being made into a movie with Shenenene and Wanda. I wonder how many people are gonna go watch that CoonFest. smh

Pop, you diggin yourself a hole with those examples... :lol: If Rump Shaker came out now, you would be raggin on it and callin it a c**n show. :(

There has always been and there will always be good and bad rappers. However, as I said on the last thread, back in the gap, rappers were not making a lot of money or selling a lot of records so the few who made it pretty much put out all the industry could hold. They had volume...good and bad music but they put out enough music that you can find 3 or 4 good songs out of the 70 they put out. They also had MAD drama/beef behind everything they put out. 80's and 90's rap was mainly talkin about gangs, how they gonna kill some *****, killin the po-po's, how the east coast sucks, how the west coast sucks, guns, and doo-doo Brown.. :lol: People are not into gangster rap anymore. Maybe you want us to go back to letting the gang bangers rap again. I think that would solve your problem.

It goes back further than that with ummmmm....dayum can't call dudes name but he is passed away now. I think he starred in a show with Gladys Night back in the 80's.

Pops apparently you misunderstood all my post. I agree most of the artist now are garbage or cheap imitations of better artist. I was never into any of the dance artist back in the day. But we had our fare share of Soulja Boy type artist. I have never toosie rolled, I have bank head bounced to outkast though.

Some of the artist you posted I hated. Bone Thugs, Crucial conflict were not my style.

Shoot Ice cube was jamming then he went all Yeah, Yeah and I had to leave him alone. He also went to college when he was claiming thug. Plies was Val of his college class and holds a degree in Eglish Lit. There are a lot of fake MC's. who have put out great music not all thought provoikng but great music.

Drake is garbage to me. Jeezy saved his performance. He's a nerd from Canada that spent time in Memphis and learned how to rap. But his delivery get old quick and he really can't sing.

Dude my Hip Hop runs deep. From Run, DMC, the Wu, Outkast, Mobb Deep, Nas,Eightball MjG,UGK, Roots, Riza, goodie mob,Tribe call Quest, Wale, Mos Def, Talib, Guru, Too Short, Scarface, Jay, Nas, Biggie, Lupe...etc..etc.. I like TI,Jeezy, and a few new artist but I hate all this new dance rap, make up a dance crap. But don't act like we didn't have some mess growing up too.

I am not saying that we didn't have crappy rappers but the crappy rappers were not the main event. I am not a drake fan either, I do like Jeezy. He puts out good albums. I prefer the intellectual artist but I can appreciate any artist that has a decent flow with good lyrics and creativity, no matter what the subject matter is. I like Jeezy, TI, and Wayne. I even listen to Plies and an occasional Gucci Mane song. Sorry, I can not do Wacka Flocka or Soulja Boy.

I am with you. I have never been a dance track guy though. I never liked the Tootsie Rolls, Whoop there it is, or the majority of Luke's stuff.

Pop, you diggin yourself a hole with those examples... :lol: If Rump Shaker came out now, you would be raggin on it and callin it a c**n show. :(

There has always been and there will always be good and bad rappers. However, as I said on the last thread, back in the gap, rappers were not making a lot of money or selling a lot of records so the few who made it pretty much put out all the industry could hold. They had volume...good and bad music but they put out enough music that you can find 3 or 4 good songs out of the 70 they put out. They also had MAD drama/beef behind everything they put out. 80's and 90's rap was mainly talkin about gangs, how they gonna kill some *****, killin the po-po's, how the east coast sucks, how the west coast sucks, guns, and doo-doo Brown.. :lol: People are not into gangster rap anymore. Maybe you want us to go back to letting the gang bangers rap again. I think that would solve your problem.

TP Every rapper was not talking about gang banging..Sheesh

Jay Z
Nas
Tribe Call Quest
DMX
Outkast
Goodie Mob
Run DMC
Scarface
Wu Tang Clan
Busta Rhymes
Diddy with the Lox

I can go on and on. It was not all gasta rap. Stop trivializing folks opinion.
If you like No Homo Swag soulja boy then you do. If you liked toosie rolling and 95 south and Swag team. That's just you. If you hated most rap and labled it Gansta that's on you.

But real hip was alive a well in the 80's and 90's and even early 2000's.

The verses on Rump Shaker were pretty decent. They had a good flow, a few good metaphors. Teddy's verse was a little weak but it would be good by today's standard. Compare this song to that flexing mess you hear on the radio.

I actually thought the early 2000's was a good time for hip hop. There was a focus on writing cold songs. The Lox, Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem, DMX and crew were still putting out decent songs. The era right before crunk. I even liked crunk music to a degree.

Oh yes Martin, Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx been dressing in drag for years. Matter of fact Skank Robbers is being made into a movie with Shenenene and Wanda. I wonder how many people are gonna go watch that CoonFest. smh

I know I will. :emlaugh: :tup: In fact, they need to send me some money cause I suggested this idea YEARS ago. :)

It goes back further than that with ummmmm....dayum can't call dudes name but he is passed away now. I think he starred in a show with Gladys Night back in the 80's.

Flip Wilson

geraldine.jpg

But don't act like we didn't have some mess growing up too.

There has always been and there will always be good and bad rappers.

That's all I'm sayin. :tup: It's a never ending cycle.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think I am the only person who didn't care for Wanda or Sha-na-na..
I just don't find the cross dressing acts that funny except for Big Momma's house. I detest Madea.

Tyler Perry movies are preachy, strerotypical, and characters have no range. There used to be a variety of music so no one genre dominated the airwaves. When deregulation happened, radio stations were bought up by a few media coorporations. They dropped their local program directors and gave all their radio stations the same playlist. Which equates to the same garbage being played over and over and over again.

As far as "Martin", He was followed by "Living Single" and "NY Undercover". So it was not a full night of c**nery.

juspop,

Musical taste will always vary ... It's like saying define beauty. We all know it's in the eye of the beholder.

:topic:

You just made me have a flash back. Anybody know what happened to ...

W-O-W

478px-Ananda_Lewis_LF.JPG

And thats my whole thing Pop. If you dont like it say you dont like it and be done. Dont call it coonfest and Baffooning. To me those are some offensive words to us but laughs it up when others before Tyler Perry has done it. And please stop saying anything yall dont like Black folks doing is destroying our race.

In one breath yall call Jayz and Biggie the best rappers alive but yet they sold weed and crack to black people. Is that not killing our race and bringing down the community????

Tyler Perry movies are preachy, strerotypical, and characters have no range.

So because his plays/shows/movies has a message, it's preachy? :confused: Characters have no range? Please explain that one because I didn't know fictional characters could have range.....not being funny, but I'm just not understanding. :tup:

As far as "Martin", He was followed by "Living Single" and "NY Undercover". So it was not a full night of c**nery.

So if 2 out of 3 shows in one night is non-c**nery, then it's okay? :| :lol:

I swear, I'mma start telling folks I'm Cuban or something. I think I might can get away with it. :idea: :)

Can Someone define Coonary, before you use the word please.... smh

~walks out~

DUDE i just made a thread about it. hoping to get some answers.

ohh yeah. why black folks gotta have walks out in their signatures. Stop being such a c**n Smoke (sarcasm)

Even though I don't like Madea, my problem with TP's show and movies is purely a quality issue. I liked a few of his movies though (Daddy's Girls, Why did I get Married pt.1). the whole cross-dressing grandmother thing isn't my cup of tea. I don't expect everyone to like what I like and I realize that I am a pretty dry person. I don't think everything that I don't like is c**nery either.

I don't care for Go-Go music. People in DC, love go-go music. I don't think it is coonish, I just don't care for it. Partially, because I am not a dancer.

Last edited:

Yes they did. Just like they do with Jersey Shore and don't even get on the topic of Family Guy. Remember Married With Children? It was a protest by a white woman during it's 3rd season that made it even more popular.

They are not as vocal because no matter how bad or offensive Jersey Shore, Gossip Slut, 90210 & Melrose Place were they had Promised Land, Everybody Loves Raymond & Degrassi (both versions).

I don't GAF about reruns of shows that air on 3-5 different networks-UNEDITED. Now if you dig up shows that haven't been seen in 10-30 years like a Thea, Me & The Boys, Homeroom and This is Where I live-we can talk.

Where are the first run sitcoms and dramas? Why was there such a battle to get the Black Panther cartoon on the air here?

Look at the Hispanic stations-variety, soaps, dramas, movies, sitcoms, kids show and news for thier people. BET needs to get to that level.

But guess what station is currently playing all those shows. B. E muthafukkin T.

The same network that REJECTED Soul Food and other shows (including Tyler Perry) when they were first being shopped around. It's easy to get a show that has run its course or proven to be a hit but it's another thing when to pick it up when it's brand new.

I missed many episodes since they moved it to Fridays.
The CW wanted to cater to only WHITE GIRLS. The same mess happen to WWE Smackdown and Veronica Mars. The would NOT promote new episodes of Everybody Hates Chris, Veronica Mars, Smackdown, All of Us, Girlfriends & The Game. There no promos during Gossip Girl. Yet ads for Gossip Girl ran during the shows I mentioned.

Do yall when FOX and the CW started they had all black shows.

Not 100% true for Fox. Fox didn't have it's first all black cast show until Roc in 91-4 year after it started. In Living Color (90) was more of sketch show.
The WB-Wayans Bro & Parent Hood survived the network's first year.
UPN-only has Moesha in year one.

You didn't have the all black night until much later on as the networks grew. That's when folks called UPN the N word network because LOL they had 2 night that featured all black shows.
WB had only Sundays and Fox stopped it after axing Martin, Living Single & New York Undercover.

People kept yelling the WB/UPN only catered to us. It got so bad a program director for the WB got into with the sports talk station here in Dallas. The host claimed the WB was racist towards to whites.

Mind you the black lineup at the time was Parent Hood, Sister, Sister, Jamie Foxx, Steve Harvey and Wayans Bro. The director went off on him. You are talking about 5 black shows on a network KNOWN for 7th Heaven, Charmed, Buffy and Dawson's Creek. The host kept caling them racist and the director hung up on him. That host lost his job a week later.

Now when UPN and WB became one-they did us dirty. All the black shows they didn't keep-had better ratings than the one white sitcom they kept-What I Like About You. Heck The Game in its last season had better ratings with no promotion than that show did in its entire 4 year run.

Back