Bell rides out storm...

HBCUs

Deep in Tha Heart of...
Bell rides out storm, still sees bright future for JSU

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040904/SPORTS030101/309040002/1073

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Jackson State University football coach James Bell reminds Tigers' receiver Chris Jones of the principal in the movie Lean on Me.

In that 1989 release, Joe Clark, played by Morgan Freeman, is seen as arrogant when he takes over an out-of-control high school and initiates changes. He eventually gains the respect of teachers and students and saves the school.

"Coach Bell has been the same way," Jones said. "This year he's still about business, but he's mixing in some fun. Last year, we didn't have any fun. It makes it different. It seems a lot better this year."

Most Tiger fans are no doubt hoping for an ending like the one in Lean on Me, which was based on a true story. But as the 2004 season kicks off today ? Jackson State plays at Hampton (Va.) University ? many fans still are questioning this outsider's credentials.

Hired last year to restore a tradition-rich program to championship on the heels of three consecutive 7-4 seasons, Bell instead guided JSU to two wins and 10 losses ? the worst season in school history.....

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040904/SPORTS030101/309040002/1073

Calvin Younger, president of the Blue Bengals, JSU's main booster club, agrees. He points out that Bell has done some good things off the field, such as raising the team's accumulative grade-point average from 2.35 to 2.63 and raising $150,000 in private donations to renovate the football complex.

"I think it's very important that we support coach Bell and the program," Younger said. "I believe with what he's got, the talent he brought in, and with the new facilities in place, he'll be able to turn it around."

"Damn that. We wanna hear about the running clock." -- Average JSU 'supporter'.

Back