Behind the Music...New Edition

Know that I went on a download spree after the show Sunday. I am listening to "Girlfriend" by Bobby Brown right now! "I need a girlfriend, and I need you right now..." Damn! The memories...

Why was it every time Bobby spoke, I was pissed at him. Then, they played one of his songs and it was all good?

If Johnny thinks he fcuked up 'Boys to Men', then he should fcuk up albums...

CriTAUcal said:
What they need to do, if they haven't already, is write a book. Invest in self-publishing, so they can get all the money back on the books.

Great idea :tup: :nod2: :tup:

Do a made for TV movie and make sure they have all the Rights to it.

I wonder if they are making money from any Albums that are selling now. I know they still cant be getting ripped off.

F*** PUFFY!

New Edition On Short-Lived Stint On Bad Boy Records

05/02/2005 2:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
LAUNCH Radio Networks

R&B group New Edition is currently rehearsing for a national tour which kicks off next month and working with Paramount Pictures on the New Edition biopic. The group plans to head back into the studio sometime in the future to record new music, but following last year's fiasco with Bad Boy Records, they plan on taking their time.

Ricky Bell says signing with Bad Boy Records did not live up to the group?s expectations. "We thought it was gonna be like no limits," Bell said. "Let's go all out. Let's just get with the best writers, the best producers, let's just exploit New Edition, like, all the way, and that wasn't the plan. I mean, once we got in with him (P. Diddy), when we didn't agree with him on certain songs, we would get sent home for like six, seven months. You know, it would just be nothing being done."

Bell added that the straw that broke the camel's back was an incident over a song titled "Keep In Touch" which was produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Bell said that Combs refused to pay for the song because the group was allegedly over budget, although they had only worked with in-house Bad Boy producers.

According to Bell, Combs didn't respect Jam & Lewis, although the two produced many of New Edition's biggest hits. Eventually Jam & Lewis gave the group the song free of charge, but somehow it still wasn't included on the final version of One Love. Bell explained: "You know that song wasn't on there. It was taken off the album, then there was another song put on the album that wasn't even talked about initially of being on the album. A song that none of us liked. On top of that, Puffy paid himself $50,000, on top of that put a song on it that we didn't like, and we just felt like that was just a slap in the face. No respect."

Following the fallout with Bad Boy Records, reports surfaced that the group was difficult to work with. Group member Johnny Gill addressed the rumors. He said: "Well, I want anyone, whoever has any doubts about us, working with us, look at our 22-year record. I mean, it's not ironic when you look at Bad Boy, not only just us, look at the artists that have come, the artists that are leaving, and everyone that's trying to get out of the situation."

Calls to Bad Boy Records weren't returned at press time.

BandFan said:
Do a made for TV movie and make sure they have all the Rights to it.

I wonder if they are making money from any Albums that are selling now. I know they still cant be getting ripped off.

They probably aren't making much if anything off of them now. If the deal was as bad as it sounded, then they probably never got that many points off of record sales. Aside from that, I don't remember seeing them with a lot of songwriting credits(at least not on New Edition albums), so they probably aren't making anything off of publishing either. That basically means that at the end of the day everyone else made money off of the albums except them.

OOOhhhhhh!!!
Somebody really needs to slap that Diddy upside the head. He gets on my nerves, always have. And please, somebody stop him from humiliating anymore kids on that Making the Band foolishness.

Re: F*** PUFFY!

JSU*Toi said:
Following the fallout with Bad Boy Records, reports surfaced that the group was difficult to work with. Group member Johnny Gill addressed the rumors. He said: "Well, I want anyone, whoever has any doubts about us, working with us, look at our 22-year record. I mean, it's not ironic when you look at Bad Boy, not only just us, look at the artists that have come, the artists that are leaving, and everyone that's trying to get out of the situation."

Calls to Bad Boy Records weren't returned at press time.

Fcuk Puffy, ol' dirty wet-mouthed b!tch. Bad Boy is garbage. They have been screwing over people since Craig Mack.

Having Biggie killed was Puffy's coup de gras. New Edition didn't stand a chance.

Poor Carl Thomas.

jagface said:
Fcuk Puffy, ol' dirty wet-mouthed b!tch. Bad Boy is garbage. They have been screwing over people since Craig Mack.

Having Biggie killed was Puffy's coup de gras. New Edition didn't stand a chance.

Poor Carl Thomas.

Don't know about having Biggie killed, but Diddy shole has killed off some careers. I am not a SUGE Knight fan, but he was right about Diddy when he said all he does is show up in all his acts videos. Diddy has always been about Diddy. He wants the spotlight. Bad Boy has been garbage for years. They messed over 112, didn't know how to market Carl Thomas. Same for Faith and look how sad Mary J's last album was when she hooked back up with Diddy. She was better off working with Dr. Dre. Diddy and his folks don't know how to produce a R&B act. Diddy needs to stick with fashion and promoting Diddy. Leave music to somebody else.

I can't believe Diddy don't respect Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Who the hell is he in the music business. Those guys are ICONS as far as producers, not to mention they are bad musicians in their own right. NE would be better served getting with them and/or Babyface. Maybe even work with Pharrell. Even R. Kelly would be better for them to work with. Since R&B aint the big money maker in music these days, the record companies aint interested in investing in quality music. Quincy Jones send help.

BILBREW said:
They probably aren't making much if anything off of them now. If the deal was as bad as it sounded, then they probably never got that many points off of record sales. Aside from that, I don't remember seeing them with a lot of songwriting credits(at least not on New Edition albums), so they probably aren't making anything off of publishing either. That basically means that at the end of the day everyone else made money off of the albums except them.

:smh: Them boyz are still getting ripped off. I want to buy their old albums, but I want them to get the money. I might as well burn it and send them a check for 15 dollars in the mail.

All that Talent, hard work, blood, sweat and tears and they cant even get whats due to them. Even when they got older they were still getting ROBBED.
Bobby is smelling like Roses. He probally still gets a little of the money that they make cause he was a founding member but I know he glad he got out when he did.

just some extra thoughts..............,

I would have liked for them to touch just a little onMichael Bivins and the success that he had launching the careers of Boys II Men & 702 and that kid group ABC (at the playground ya know, Iesha)....,

If P-Diddy's respect for Jamm and Lewis is truly the way they described in the article, then you know its all going to come back to haunt him (if it hasn't already), you just don't disrespect legends like that and not pay for it one way or another....,

What's that rap..."Record Industry execs are shady..." was that Eric B. and Rahkim(sp?) that said that... It's is so true. There is so much talent out there that is just going to waste because these so called record industry experts want to produce these cookie cutter groups with cookie cutter songs... :smh: instead of putting and promoting quality products...poor NE hopefully to VH1 special will wake someone up to help the guys get their just due.

jelli said:
What's that rap..."Record Industry execs are shady..." was that Eric B. and Rahkim(sp?)
That was A Tribe Called Quest from the Low End Theory Album...,

BTW Amen to everything you said Jelli..........,

This is just another sad song by another group of artists that want to make their mark in the world of music. The thirst for fame and fortune distracted these artists from the legal side of the entertainment industry.

The situation with NE has been going on since the first conception of the record industry and will continue after most of us are dead and gone. Artists, especially Black artists have been taken advantage of "LEGALLY"if not ethically.

It's not a crime if someone does not read a contract and foolishly signs it without reading the details. How many record execs are in prison for paying their artists a low SALARY because that's what they have signed for in the contract? NADA! ZELCH! A big fat "0". That's just nature of the beast.

I never did like these "record label created groups" because young artist going into that type of situations have lost the war before the first battle. That's because the label have the rights to the "product" which is the group itself;they have the rights to the publishing;they also have all the advantages in all other revenue generating ventures of the "record label created groups" or "producer created groups".

They have complete control of the direction of these type of groups because by right,they have created the group;and artists who sings and play in these groups are just EMPLOYEES of the group.

The best thing these artist should do is first hire an ENTERTAINMENT
LAWYER. He or she will be your ally.

In order to win the game in Hollywood you have to play the Hollywood game;and a well established entertainment lawyer is the best choice for you win the game.

JSU*Toi said:
New Edition On Short-Lived Stint On Bad Boy Records

05/02/2005 2:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
LAUNCH Radio Networks

Bell added that the straw that broke the camel's back was an incident over a song titled "Keep In Touch" which was produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Bell said that Combs refused to pay for the song because the group was allegedly over budget, although they had only worked with in-house Bad Boy producers.

According to Bell, Combs didn't respect Jam & Lewis, although the two produced many of New Edition's biggest hits.

WTH is that all about. Is Diddy that dumb? :confused: Jam & Lewis are legends when it comes to producing hits. Janet may be a Jackson, but Jam and Lewis are the guys that put her on the map.

Re: just some extra thoughts..............,

BulldogM.Ed.23 said:
Michael Bivins and the success that he had launching the careers of Boys II Men & 702 and that kid group ABC

This brings to mind the question that if Biv had the know how to launch these three groups, what happens when it's time to negotiate NE's deals. Then again he probably was to these groups what Gladys Knight/Diana Ross were to the Jackson 5 in terms of "launching" careers.

As for Music Biz 101, NE needs to take a trip to Paisly Park. Prince has preached the importance of owning your masters, publishing, the evil of record co. execs for years. Long before there was a Napster, itunes, etc., he was selling his music and para. on the net--- cutting out the middle man. Larry Graham and Chaka's careers had pretty much bottomed out before they got w/NPG. He's on record saying NPG is a label where artist are free to create and do what they do best. NE has and could do worse. :headphone

FAB5 said:
This brings to mind the question that if Biv had the know how to launch these three groups, what happens when it's time to negotiate NE's deals. Then again he probably was to these groups what Gladys Knight/Diana Ross were to the Jackson 5 in terms of "launching" careers.

Bivins had been in the business more than 10 years by the time BoyzIIMen, 702 and ABC came along.

CriTAUcal said:
Bivins had been in the business more than 10 years by the time BoyzIIMen, 702 and ABC came along.

Which means he should've been well prepared to spell out in detail what NE wanted/expected from Bad Boy before signing.

FAB5 said:
Which means he should've been well prepared to spell out in detail what NE wanted/expected from Bad Boy before signing.

The thing is they probably did spell out what they wanted, but the results were not as expected.

I'm sure these things may have been addressed beforehand, but it looks like Puffy basically said on thing and did the other. Even if that was put in the contract, the label still has more leverage than the artist in most cases(which is why NE was sent home for months). NE had the right to turn down songs as artists, but the label still has more pull at the end of the day. Like it or not, it is still Sean Combs' label and even if the contracts appeared to be to NE's liking he still has the final say in what does or doesn't get put out.

Artists get dropped from labels on a regular basis for not creating enough material or for getting into disputes with the execs, so even though NE didn't get dropped their problems with Bad Boy also aren't uncommon in the music industry.

FAB5 said:

True, but even Boyz II Men decided to go on their own for the second album. 702 never made it really big and ABC was a flash in the pan who also had Dallas Austin really behind them anyway. I think Biv 10 productions made Mike some money and he is probably a little better off than his counterparts, well maybe except Johnny Gill who has had success as a solo act and in LSG with Keith Sweat and Gerald Levert.

Bivins may have also run into trying to appease the rest of NEs egos with the Bad Boy deal. Who knows if the rest of the guys even let him be the front man on the deal. I am sure Diddy made it seem to be all that. What gets me is that those fellas should have known Diddy never pushes his R&B acts like he should. Ask 112, Usher, Carl Thomas and others.

As Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis have said countless times. The real money is in writing the tunes yourself and then producing them, something they probably learned from Prince. Then own the rights to your tunes even if you sell them or write them for another artist. Thats how Quincy Jones has become so rich. He wrote, produced and marketed his stuff as Quincy Jones.....even his albums when he didn't sing one note. Think about all the self-titled Quincy albums and all the people he had sing on it. But guess who got paid. :nod2:

JR said:

As Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis have said countless times. The real money is in writing the tunes yourself and then producing them, something they probably learned from Prince. Then own the rights to your tunes even if you sell them or write them for another artist. Thats how Quincy Jones has become so rich. He wrote, produced and marketed his stuff as Quincy Jones.....even his albums when he didn't sing one note. Think about all the self-titled Quincy albums and all the people he had sing on it. But guess who got paid. :nod2:
So did Lionel Richie. He wrote and produced most of the Commodores hits. He's still getting paid.

Writing these songs is what 'gon really get you paid! Some singers have caught on to that and are writing their own songs.

CriTAUcal said:
Writing these songs is what 'gon really get you paid! Some singers have caught on to that and are writing their own songs.

Yep just look at Missy Elliott and Timbaland!!! They are also writing hit songs for other groups!! Mark my words NE will finally get their just reward!! They just need to be smart about it. Bad Boy is true garbage, by the way and PDiddy is a punk arse *****!!! :shame:

Back