BCU & FAMU expectations?

Dude Bama st only had size and was loud that was it. Marches were terrible and sound was highly sloppy come on dude sweep outside your own door before calling out other bands Bama st has been very very much declining since 2014 until now. You dog bands but never call out your own. MMH NEED to get back to their roots and as long as Oliver will be there they will not. Stillman is now better than Bama st. Y'all are close to last next to Tuskegee band wise and that's real.

didn’t know April fools day came late this year.

i didn’t even mention any names. Like my pops use to say, “a hit dog will holler!”

didn’t know April fools day came late this year.

i didn’t even mention any names. Like my pops use to say, “a hit dog will holler!”
U said hornets destroy the 100. Bama st has never been better than FAMU that's facts want me to post clips

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
This has been a topic amongst many of my friends who marched in the 100 back in the late 80's. Man y'all should hear some of their thoughts. They believe that the SWAC is going to adopt to FAMU style. I keep telling them the 100 ain't what it use to be. Look forward to getting some waxings and giving some. It's a new day and time.

y’all should be used to getting waxed!

Did you forget about how FAMU KILLED Y'ALL IM DETROIT IN 2003 dude come on

I was in high school at that time

Last edited:
I think their biggest obstacle is going to be travel. If they've got road games at (for example) Jackson St, Grambling and Alabama State in a given year, it's unrealistic to think they'd make more than one of those trips.

The geography is going to be tough to overcome. Unless the games are Classics, I don't see either of them EVER going to Valley, Pine Bluff or Alcorn.

Just my $0.02....

But I'd love to see them marching into ANY of our stadiums!

I think their biggest obstacle is going to be travel. If they've got road games at (for example) Jackson St, Grambling and Alabama State in a given year, it's unrealistic to think they'd make more than one of those trips.

The geography is going to be tough to overcome. Unless the games are Classics, I don't see either of them EVER going to Valley, Pine Bluff or Alcorn.

Just my $0.02....

but they won't be playing Alcorn or PB... and nobody goes to Valley.

Just my $0.02....

BCU does about three away games a year
With both bands sounding good do y'all honestly think they can handle a SWAC zero qtr and fifth? BCU already showed us at the meac swac challenge....JSU was the better band the entire day from field to stands those long chants an dance breaks during a fifth will get them bood out of a stadium bcu is really going to need a new book in order to handle alot of our swac bands

FAMU- is improving and growing yearly since 2013. Their sound is maturing however their book is their down fall song selection is always key to any fifth qtr. Their field shows however will be entertaining and I'm sure any swac crowd will show love to their shows though they have good shows. But as I said about bcu sounding good can only go so far in the swac!

But I do look forward to seeing them in swac stadiums.
I doubt BCU will much difficulty with the move.

My take is Cookman sees JSU, and all Alabama schools when they travel and has a championship performance every year due to their football team winning and getting there every year maybe.

Soundwise...
Quality-wise no black marching band matches Cookman. Maybe TnSU(not in the SWAC im just mentioning them), AAMU and JSU come close. Well JSU comes close by their big band sound, which doesn't have the same "focus" as Cookman's complete sound.
Field show wise Cookman has been a very consistent crowd pleaser. They gets house...wit gator shoes on.
FAMU CAN get house and they sound above average on the field now. (Trumpets still needed work).
No one will change to be "like" either of them. Maybe some swac bands will change to their own older ways concerning their own quality of sound or better quality but that won't be because of FAMU and Cookman, it's because to recruit now you need much more than name and tradition to get kids to march in a marching band for scholarships. Like my school...we aren't a small school at all by enrollment yet we won't get alot of recruits recruiting everywhere every other similar band recruits. Cookman and FAMU don't exactly recruit everywhere any SWAC school focuses on anyway.
Now if swac bands besides JSU and AAMU want to take something from Cookman, it would be tone quality. All your power is...cute...but you get more with better tone quality. JSU wasn't matched by anyone at Crankfest because their TONE quality was better than everyone there. They didn't have to work as hard to be that loud by effect and didn't lose any quality or volume and didn't play anything without attacks that made things powerful. I won't keep boring people with the things I learned from different teachers and playing professionally but FAMU and Cookmam make it more interesting.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Soundwise...
Quality-wise no black marching band matches Cookman. Maybe TnSU(not in the SWAC im just mentioning them), AAMU and JSU come close. Well JSU comes close by their big band sound, which doesn't have the same "focus" as Cookman's complete sound.
Field show wise Cookman has been a very consistent crowd pleaser. They gets house...wit gator shoes on.
FAMU CAN get house and they sound above average on the field now. (Trumpets still needed work).
No one will change to be "like" either of them. Maybe some swac bands will change to their own older ways concerning their own quality of sound or better quality but that won't be because of FAMU and Cookman, it's because to recruit now you need much more than name and tradition to get kids to march in a marching band for scholarships. Like my school...we aren't a small school at all by enrollment yet we won't get alot of recruits recruiting everywhere every other similar band recruits. Cookman and FAMU don't exactly recruit everywhere any SWAC school focuses on anyway.
Now if swac bands besides JSU and AAMU want to take something from Cookman, it would be tone quality. All your power is...cute...but you get more with better tone quality. JSU wasn't matched by anyone at Crankfest because their TONE quality was better than everyone there. They didn't have to work as hard to be that loud by effect and didn't lose any quality or volume and didn't play anything without attacks that made things powerful. I won't keep boring people with the things I learned from different teachers and playing professionally but FAMU and Cookmam make it more interesting.
I somewhat agree with your post but if you’re basing FAMU’s trumpets off of this year, they only have about 14 due to COVID. I think they are having a hard time trying to play with their low brass. I initially thought they needed work too until someone pointed out their numbers.

I somewhat agree with your post but if you’re basing FAMU’s trumpets off of this year, they only have about 14 due to COVID. I think they are having a hard time trying to play with their low brass. I initially thought they needed work too until someone pointed out their numbers.
No no...last 3yrs before this year. They would have the FAMU sound everywhere but the trumpets these past years.

No no...last 3yrs before this year. They would have the FAMU sound everywhere but the trumpets these past years.
They have been a bottom heavy band since their return. I think this would have been a better year for them. I can’t wait until things get back to “normal” so we can enjoy band and football again.

Just my $0.02....

when I marched for Bama State we never went to UAPB, Grambling, Valley or the Texas schools. I’m hoping the Florida schools are at least able to make it to Alabama & one game in Mississippi every season

A clinic? How sway? Take away that one moment in the 5th and it was a landslide victory for BCU
Man look I’m telling you straight up. I give props when props are due. I’m not that person at all but BCU was shook from the moment JSU marched past them saying “uhh ohhhh BCU.” BCU had a couple mess up on this particular day. I was surprised because I heard so much about you guys director. It wasn’t close. The proof is everywhere.

Man look I’m telling you straight up. I give props when props are due. I’m not that person at all but BCU was shook from the moment JSU marched past them saying “uhh ohhhh BCU.” BCU had a couple mess up on this particular day. I was surprised because I heard so much about you guys director. It wasn’t close. The proof is everywhere.
If you had BCU shook it was because ole buddy on WT split his pants during the pregame pep rally. BCU gave a clinic on tone quality for a program on game one.

If you had BCU shook it was because ole buddy on WT split his pants during the pregame pep rally. BCU gave a clinic on tone quality for a program on game one.
They were not that good that day. Everyone has their day. It happens. Doesn’t make them any less of a great program.

Back