BCSG 360 and Black College Nines Team Up to Create Baseball’s First Black College World Series

Xavier wins in every sport they contest. Softball and baseball are both new this year. Softball isn’t having same success as baseball, but Xavier is pretty much ranked in all sports they compete in. I don’t recall SWAC coaches paying much attention to XULA coaches previously so what’s going to change?

Repeat, If this BCWS continues winning coaches at that level will get the exposure needed to elevate their careers.

This thread and the BCWS is about baseball, not other sports. With that said, baseball guys understand baseball is about skill level and baseball I.Q, more so than raw talent. Obviously, Xavier's baseball coach understands that well and has a good eye for baseball talent, and because of that I still believe it's just a matter of time before inquiries come his way.

I'm not sure why you're talking about other coaches noticing when it is the thoughts and vision the A.D. that matters with coaching hires.
In the SWAC it's not a far stretch to think an A.D. will give consideration to winning coaches participating in the BCWS, if it endures, when filling a head coach vacancy. The real question is not whether the coaches will get noticed, but whether the pay will be worth relocating for.

Last edited:
Repeat, If this BCWS continues winning coaches at that level will get the exposure needed to elevate their careers.

This thread and the BCWS is about baseball, not other sports. With that said, baseball guys understand baseball is about skill level and baseball I.Q, more so than raw talent. Obviously, Xavier's baseball coach understands that well and has a good eye for baseball talent, and because of that I still believe it's just a matter of time before inquiries come his way.

I'm not sure why you're talking about other coaches noticing when it is the thoughts and vision the A.D. that matters with coaching hires.
In the SWAC it's not a far stretch to think an A.D. will give consideration to winning coaches participating in the BCWS, if it endures, when filling a head coach vacancy. The real question is not whether the coaches will get noticed, but whether the pay will be worth relocating for,

In the SWAC it's not a far stretch to think an A.D. will give consideration to winning coaches participating in the BCWS, if it endures, when filling a head coach vacancy. The real question is not whether the coaches will get noticed, but whether the pay will be worth relocating for,

Swac baseball is different - you have bad programs where no coach will win unless you try drastic measures which are short lived (Valley) but they’ll hire the up and comer

decent programs where you can win at times but missing some things (UAPB, AAMU) to be consistent

strong programs where not any coach can come in and win cause the situation calls for having just more than an eye for talent (TSU, SU, PV, JSU)

His best bet is get swac teams on the schedule midweek and prove his worth next before pulling the trigger. Then he can be observed in a situations against swac talent and you can see what his team has up close.

He may do well at a place with resources but it’s been hard for successful NAIA coaches to get the funded swac programs

Swac baseball is different - you have bad programs where no coach will win unless you try drastic measures which are short lived (Valley) but they’ll hire the up and comer

decent programs where you can win at times but missing some things (UAPB, AAMU) to be consistent

strong programs where not any coach can come in and win cause the situation calls for having just more than an eye for talent (TSU, SU, PV, JSU)

His best bet is get swac teams on the schedule midweek and prove his worth next before pulling the trigger. Then he can be observed in a situations against swac talent and you can see what his team has up close.

He may do well at a place with resources but it’s been hard for successful NAIA coaches to get the funded swac programs

I think you're over-complicating things when it comes to head baseball coaching hires in the SWAC, well actually even head coach hires for the other sports also. Over the last twenty years SWAC schools have hired head coaches straight out of a high school for football, basketball and baseball. Once, a coach that would go on to become a very successful head coach in our conference was hired with only select-ball experience on his resume to coach softball.

You suggested XULA coach will have to coach through a SWAC slate to prove himself, but there is little evidence that is a requirement. If he was to come to my Texas Southern or Prairie View he would be able to pick up the baton and keep right on running long as it's baseball players he's looking for and not just black baseball players.

Last edited:
I think you're over-complicating things when it comes to head baseball coaching hires in the SWAC, well actually even head coach hires for the other sports also. Over the last twenty years SWAC schools have hired head coaches straight out of a high school for football, basketball and baseball. Once, a coach that would go on to become a very successful head coach in our conference was hired with only select-ball experience on his resume to coach softball.

You suggested XULA coach will have to coach through a SWAC slate to prove himself, but there is little evidence that is a requirement. If he was come to my Texas Southern or Prairie View he would be able to pick up the baton and keep right on running long as it's baseball players he's looking for and not just black baseball players.

Swac baseball hires for the most part have been political and very few given a program based on merit. Like I said - he may can get a bad program in the SWAC East but is it worth killing his career? Getting a SWAC West program based on merit is tough. He has it good at Xavier

AAMU - finally hired outside the family after years of mediocrity but hired the 2nd assistant from Grambling - which has been a decent program so not sure what your getting

ASU - bumped assistant up after making a splash hire years ago out the swac

UAPB - hired coach with ties to community and Torie Hunter

Alcorn - AD hired friend fired from FAMU

JSU - bumped up popular assistant when hc got in hot water years ago

GSU - bumped up GA to head coach as former hc legend had major influence

MVSU - no comment lol - he was assistant when they had decent teams but that was smoke and mirrors

PV - legit head coaches applied - none considered - a booster got his personal choice hired

TSU - former AD brought Rob with him

SU - just bumped assistant up - prior to that former coach was assistant at Missouri/scout for MLB

I agree that he's probably in a good situation at Xavier.

FYI - Rob was brought up from the high school ranks to PV.

Yes but PV was a bottom-feeder then and not funded. As of now the way they hire he could get an Alcorn job But them going to the west ain’t gonna help

New here, have not heard about the BCWS. Who is eligible for this championship?

I like the post season opportunity created by the concept, but I wish they would have found a way include the SWAC & MEAC. Hopefully, that is the plan in the coming years. Multiple post season opportunities are a net plus for black collegiate baseball players no matter what collegiate level they're playing on. We're talking about baseball here, where height and weight considerations take a back seat to a player's skill set and baseball acumen.

You got your wish....

View: https://twitter.com/HbcuNines/status/1394480435313451011?s=20

Th
You got your wish....

View: https://twitter.com/HbcuNines/status/1394480435313451011?s=20

This even was planned in 19, in Chicago as some SU parents bought plane tickets and the event was cancelled two days out. I was thinking of going last minute, glad I didn’t pull the trigger.

Smart move

The SWAC, MEAC are usually at a disadvantage because they play their tournament earlier than anyone else (for financial reasons mostly to help its member institutions avoid housing and feeding student athletes post semester) and have a two week gap before tournament. Now they can play some meaningful baseball to fill the gap

I'm excited about it! The more baseball exposure for our HBCUs the better.

The HBCU World Series – presented by the Hank Aaron Sports Academy and events will take place on Friday, May 28th – 30th, 2021. This inter-conference event will be a best two-of-three game series and will allow black college baseball to write the first chapter in a much-needed matchup of NCAA Division I schools to crown a national champion.

In its inaugural year, the HBCU World Series presented by the Hank Aaron Sports Academy is a matchup that will feature two HBCU baseball conference champions in the NCAA Division I classification; the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) pitted against the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC). The two conference tournament winners will go to battle in a three-game series to crown an HBCU baseball national champion.

The HBCU World Series – presented by the Hank Aaron Sports Academy will be livestreamed. Games will be available live on the Black College Sports Network at www.mybcsn.net/diamond and on Black College Nines at www.blackcollegenines.com. The games will also be available on the BCSN YouTube channel (myjbnonline) and via the MyJBN/My BCSN App, available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

The inaugural HBCU WORLD SERIES, between Southern and Norfolk State, will take place on Friday-Sunday, May 28-30, 2021, at the Hank Aaron Sports Academy in Jackson, Mississippi. come out and support the Jaguars from Southern University.

Last edited by a moderator:

The inaugural HBCU WORLD SERIES, between Southern and Norfolk State, will take place on Friday-Sunday, May 28-30, 2021, at the Hank Aaron Sports Academy in Jackson, Mississippi. come out and support the Jaguars from Southern University.
I'll be there

Animated GIF

The HBCU World Series presented by Hank Aaron Sports Academy and all associated events will not take place May 28-30, 2021 as planned. Though we were eagerly anticipating hosting this historic event in Jackson, Mississippi, Norfolk State University opted not to participate based on the risk associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ms. Webb, Athletic Director at Norfolk State University, expressed her appreciation in the invitation and under normal circumstances would welcome the opportunity to represent her conference in the event. BCSG 360 respects and supports the decision of Ms. Webb and Norfolk State University. We would like to thank the City of Jackson, Visit Jackson, Tim Bennett and the Hank Aaron Sports Academy, BlackCollegeNines.com, youth of Jackson, HBCU alumni and fans and so many other sponsors/strategic partners for their hard work and effort to make this event so appealing to HBCU baseball fans across the country.

Teams need work. SU’s team is vaccinated.

This is the whole thing I do not get.

SHSU had an issue with COVID contact tracing at the NCAA men's golf tournament. If the player(s) were vaccinated, it would not of been an issue and they would have been exempt from the COVID protocols.

Why are schools not making more of an effort to get their teams vaccinated? The NCAA has significantly relaxed COVID protocols (testing, contact tracing, etc.) for teams and student-athletes who are vaccinated.

There's a huge issue here (not specific to one school) and it needs to be addressed.

This is the whole thing I do not get.

SHSU had an issue with COVID contact tracing at the NCAA men's golf tournament. If the player(s) were vaccinated, it would not of been an issue and they would have been exempt from the COVID protocols.

Why are schools not making more of an effort to get their teams vaccinated? The NCAA has significantly relaxed COVID protocols (testing, contact tracing, etc.) for teams and student-athletes who are vaccinated.

There's a huge issue here (not specific to one school) and it needs to be addressed.
Maybe some of their athletes didn’t want to get vaccinated, who knows.

Back