Jafus (Thinker)

1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn
4. California
5. Texas
6. Utah
7. Boise St

I heard today that a football analysis believes that the non-BCS top six at-large finisher's bid supercedes a top four at-large BCS bid finisher. So, if either California or Texas loses their last game, then Boise State would gain the 2nd at-large BCS bid over California or Texas.

Any thoughts.

Interesting!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It is going to take a blowout loss for a Boise St team (like Oregon St over Notre in the Fiesta a few years ago) to reconstrct this BCS mess. Any team that gives up 50 points to San Jose St is not BCS material.

However, I say give them a chance -- undefeated is undefeated. Some of the analysis may stem from Texas close win against Kansas.

We could speculate all day, all year trying to work within the rules of the BCS. The BCS makes the case for a Div I-A playoff perfectly, no way around it to get to a true #1. Get an 8 team (or at least 4) playoff going ASAP.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn
4. California
5. Texas
6. Utah
7. Boise St

I heard today that a football analysis believes that the non-BCS top six at-large finisher's bid supercedes a top four at-large BCS bid finisher. So, if either California or Texas loses their last game, then Boise State would gain the 2nd at-large BCS bid over California or Texas.

Any thoughts.

Interesting!!
Because of the conference affilliations Neither Texas nor Boise State will be in a BCS Bowl. Although both teams have higher BCS standings than the Big East and the ACC champions, those two conference winners are guarenteed BCS bowl invitations. Texas will probally end up in the Cotton Bowl against Georgia while Boise State will probally play one of the major conferences 4th of 5th seed teams.

Big East/ACC goes to the Orange Bowl
PAC10/Big10 goes to the Rose Bowl
SEC goes to the Sugar Bowl
Big12 goes to the Fiesta.

Every 4 years each bowl will host the national champoinship game, in that year the conference champ will go to another bowl if they are not in the championship game. Also, the top 6 BCS ranked teams go to a BCS bowl.

This year it will probably look like this:

USC/OU -> Orange Bowl (Championship Game)
Cal/Michigan -> Rose Bowl
Auburn/Big East or ACC Champ -> Sugar Bowl
Utah/Big East or ACC Champ -> Fiesta Bowl

Da_Sperm said:
The folks at the Fiesta Bowl are just praying not to have a Utah vs. Boston College match up.

They want Texas.

SAME OLD G said:
The folks at the Fiesta Bowl are just praying not to have a Utah vs. Boston College match up.

They want Texas.

I'll bet that any of the top four or five from the BCS conferences is NOT looking forward to playing Utah right about now. If indeed that is the Fiesta Bowl match-up (which it looks like it will be,) I'll take the Utes over the Longhorns. Utah is the most dangerous team in the top 10.

Auburn will need a USC loss (most likely to UCLA if it happens,) to get into the Orange Bowl. Otherwise, we might be looking at an Auburn/Virginia match-up in New Orleans. If so, that could be one of the most entertaining games of the bowl season.

Da_Sperm said:
This year it will probably look like this:

USC/OU -> Orange Bowl (Championship Game)
Cal/Michigan -> Rose Bowl
Auburn/Big East or ACC Champ -> Sugar Bowl

That's about the size of it, right there. EXCEPT, if USC loses to UCLA, that will likely bump Cal out of the Rose Bowl, and put USC (head to head winner vs Cal) there vs. Michigan (rematch from last year... I don't want to see that. :( )

Cal will most likely thrash Southern Miss on 12/4, giving them a 10-1 season, and a USC loss would send the Golden Bears to the Fiesta to play Utah. That might be the first bowl game to have 100-plus points between the two teams.

Because of the conference affilliations Neither Texas nor Boise State will be in a BCS Bowl. Although both teams have higher BCS standings than the Big East and the ACC champions, those two conference winners are guarenteed BCS bowl invitations. Texas will probally end up in the Cotton Bowl against Georgia while Boise State will probally play one of the major conferences 4th of 5th seed teams.

As I said if California or Texas loses their last game to Southern Mississippi or Texas A & M, respectively, then according to an interpretation of the BCS rules on BCS bids to the Bowl CHampionship Series (BCS), Boise State whom would surely jump up to at least a #6 BCS ranking would garner the at-large bid over California or Texas no-matter the fact that either would be in the top 4 BCS ranking.

Remember the BCS as six automatic conference bids and two at-large bids with rules guideing whom can garner those bids.

Probable
#1 BCS Pac 10 automatic - (USC) vs. #2 BCS Big XII automatic -(OU) -> Orange Bowl (Championship Game)

First selection rights
at-large bid As of now Cal, but if they lose to Southern Miss = ?/Big Ten automatic - (Michigan) -> Rose Bowl

Second selection rights
at-large bid As of now Utah/Big East automatic bid or ACC automatic bid -> Fiesta Bowl

Third or Last selection rights
SEC automatic bid winner/Big East automatic bid or ACC automatic bid -> Sugar Bowl

Looks like Texas is out, more than likely headed to the Cotton or Alamo Bowl.

No team wants to play Utah because if you beat them, you get no credit and if you lose to them you look bad.

The worst thing about this years BCS is that the Big East top team is ranked #20, and they will be getting a $13 million dollar payout.

Check It Out!! I told you.

Un-Bear-Able Scenario

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/index

Cal's Rose Bowl trip may be in jeopardy. The latest BCS Standings show Texas sneaking up on the Bears, but even if the Horns lose, it's possible Boise State (now No. 7) could crash the BCS party forcing Cal out, writes Brad Edwards.

Can't help but look over its shoulder

By Brad Edwards
Special to ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/1121

The scent drifting toward the Berkeley campus is difficult to identify.

At first, it smelled a lot like roses. But now it's starting to take on a more foul scent.

BCS Standings
1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn
4. California
5. Texas
6. Utah
7. Boise State
8. Georgia
9. Miami
10. Louisville

Entering the weekend, it seemed as if California was just two wins away from locking down a spot in a BCS game. With a somewhat comfortable lead over Texas in the polls, the Golden Bears apparently just needed to take care of their own business to keep the Longhorns at a safe distance in the BCS Standings. And with a 41-6 triumph over rival Stanford on Saturday, Cal had every reason to believe it was on the verge of its first Rose Bowl appearance in nearly 50 years.

A loss by Texas would likely move Utah up to No. 5 in the BCS Standings and open the door for either Boise State or Louisville to possibly jump into the No. 6 position. Right now, those teams are very close with Georgia and Miami for the No. 7 spot in the standings. If Utah is ranked fifth in the BCS and either Boise State or Louisville is sixth at the end of the year, then those two teams would get the BCS at-large bids, and Cal -- even if ranked No. 4 --would be left out of the Bowl Championship Series.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Check It Out!! I told you.

Un-Bear-Able Scenario

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/index

Cal's Rose Bowl trip may be in jeopardy. The latest BCS Standings show Texas sneaking up on the Bears, but even if the Horns lose, it's possible Boise State (now No. 7) could crash the BCS party forcing Cal out, writes Brad Edwards.

Can't help but look over its shoulder

By Brad Edwards
Special to ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/1121

The scent drifting toward the Berkeley campus is difficult to identify.

At first, it smelled a lot like roses. But now it's starting to take on a more foul scent.

BCS Standings
1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn
4. California
5. Texas
6. Utah
7. Boise State
8. Georgia
9. Miami
10. Louisville

Entering the weekend, it seemed as if California was just two wins away from locking down a spot in a BCS game. With a somewhat comfortable lead over Texas in the polls, the Golden Bears apparently just needed to take care of their own business to keep the Longhorns at a safe distance in the BCS Standings. And with a 41-6 triumph over rival Stanford on Saturday, Cal had every reason to believe it was on the verge of its first Rose Bowl appearance in nearly 50 years.

A loss by Texas would likely move Utah up to No. 5 in the BCS Standings and open the door for either Boise State or Louisville to possibly jump into the No. 6 position. Right now, those teams are very close with Georgia and Miami for the No. 7 spot in the standings. If Utah is ranked fifth in the BCS and either Boise State or Louisville is sixth at the end of the year, then those two teams would get the BCS at-large bids, and Cal -- even if ranked No. 4 --would be left out of the Bowl Championship Series.

Will not happen. Boise St will NOT play in a BCS bowl.

A loss by Texas will push either Georgia (who plays Ga Tech) Miami (who plays Va Tech) or Iowa (whose season is completed) over Boise St (who plays Nevada, a terrible football team). Even a big win over Nevada will not push Boise St over Miami, Georgia or Iowa.

I am still pizzed over Texas...but thats their own fault...and Auburn just got the shaft this year because of their loss to USC and Ga Tech last year. It should not be that way for Auburn, but that is the situation they live in.

:smh:

Blackbear said:
Will not happen. Boise St will NOT play in a BCS bowl.

A loss by Texas will push either Georgia (who plays Ga Tech) Miami (who plays Va Tech) or Iowa (whose season is completed) over Boise St (who plays Nevada, a terrible football team). Even a big win over Nevada will not push Boise St over Miami, Georgia or Iowa.

I am still pizzed over Texas...but thats their own fault...and Auburn just got the shaft this year because of their loss to USC and Ga Tech last year. It should not be that way for Auburn, but that is the situation they live in.

:smh:

I don't think so, Blackbear.

Iowa (as the Big 10 co-champ) will likely be in the Capital One Bowl, vs. most likely Tennessee (SEC runner-up.) That is, unless something very uncanny happens in that SEC Championship Game. Georgia could be the other SEC alternative in this bowl as well. While I would like to see Cal in the Rose Bowl, I hope that something happens to really make a mess out of this BCS, so that maybe after the Fox contract runs out, they'll dump it once and for all!!

I'll say again, none of the "big boys" want to imagine having to play Utah in ANY bowl! Can you imagine a Utah/Auburn match-up in the Sugar? :eek:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The BCS fiasco this year sort of reminds me of the SWAC scheduling fiasco this year. The SWAC did not think there was a chance in hell that UAPB and SU could be tied for 1st in the West, therefore they were not prepared for a tie-breaker.

The way the BCS is setup, it assumes that the Big 6 football conferences (ACC, Big East, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 10) will always be the national champion and they will always make up the 2 teams in each BCS bowl. Next year, the Big East will not be as powerful in football as they have been traditionally, in fact Big East Champ is currently #21 in the nation. The BCS did leave 2 at-large bids for the non-Big 6 conference schools to crash the party, but they never thought it would happen.

The BCS has been lucky (except for last year) that the season took care of itself and they have dodge bullets. OU, USC, and Aurburn still have big games to win. If they all should lose, then you really could be looking at Utah playing for a national championship.

Da_Sperm said:
. OU, USC, and Aurburn still have big games to win. If they all should lose, then you really could be looking at Utah playing for a national championship.

Actually, I'd love for it to happen, so this whole BCS BS could blow up in their faces!! After all, wasn't it 20 years ago this year that Utah's arch rival BYU "snuck up" and took it all?

AAMU Alum said:
Actually, I'd love for it to happen, so this whole BCS BS could blow up in their faces!! After all, wasn't it 20 years ago this year that Utah's arch rival BYU "snuck up" and took it all?

Actually, that would SAVE the BCS some face because it will pit a clear #1 versus #2 in the national championship game, which is the sole purpose of the BCS. If those 3 schools (OU, USC, and Auburn) should win, then the BCS would recieve much controversy. A lose by 1 or more makes it easy on them.

If there is no playoff, the BCS should take out the AP and Coaches Poll out of the formula. I'm sure that what ever station that will televise the game that year, those media votes will be swayed to those teams that are affliated with that station. Example, ABC will broadcast the game this year (Right?), I'm sure that Aurburn (who ESPN/ABC has a contract with the SEC) will get more AP votes from media personnel that work for ABC or ABC affiliates.

Da_Sperm said:

Example, ABC will broadcast the game this year (Right?), I'm sure that Aurburn (who ESPN/ABC has a contract with the SEC) will get more AP votes from media personnel that work for ABC or ABC affiliates.

Actually, CBS has the contract with the SEC and Big East. ABC has the Pac-10 and Big 12 contracts and NBC has Notre Dame. If SC, OU and AU all lost, just the idea of Utah possibly playing for all the marbles might be a PR nightmare for ABC, but at the same time, could be PR gem. Imagine the national following for such a game. One of the big boys vs. Cinderella for the national championship of college football.

ABC has the bowl games that make up the BCS through the 2005 season. In 2006, Fox will pick up the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowls. ABC keeps its contract with the Rose Bowl through 2014. Also, after the bowls in January 2007, there will be game played at one of the sites of these bowls between the two teams still standing. That's one of the main reasons ABC didn't want to renew the contract after '05. I guess that's about as close to a playoff as it'll ever get.

Coaches really don't want a playoff. These big time programs will never when because the deeper they get into the playoff, there kids will be told by agents that they are risking their chances of making it to the NFL (injury).

Arkansas had about 3 (1 was a 1st rounder offensive lineman that went to Philly) players who dropped out of school to prepare for the draft in December of last year, and they skipped the Independence Bowl. After Willis Magahee (msp), players and agents are looking out for SELF. You will have more schools like Utah, Boise, Lousiville (msp) becoming national champs because they have less # of players to get drafted, therefore all there players will remain on the team. Teams like OU, Miami, Tenn, Auburn, Texas, etc. would always lose because after 2 rounds, agents begin to put that bug DEEP in their ears.

Back