Bcf Top 10 2002

BISON-2K1

1.GSU-Doug has the g-men back to their winning ways.Brad Hill and Bruce Eugene will lead a potent offense that will compliment a solid defense.They are coming off of 2 solid recruiting classes that includes a few 1a transfers to fill any holes left from graduation.

2.TSU-The tigers are igor to prove that the team that started 7-0 is the real TSU and not the one that lost 3 out of 4 games to end the season including a 63-14 trouncing at the hands of TTU.They will be lethal on offense and possibly the fastest team in all of BCF.They dismantled every HBCU they played last year but this year they have a big showdown with GSU.Defensively they will be fast and aggressive.They could be better than the 99 squad that went undefeated.

3.NCA&T- The Aggies are ready to claim what should have been theirs the past 2 seasons,the MEAC crown.The Aggies are loaded and if their OC can find a way to utilize all of their weapons then they could be the team to beat.Clifford Yoshida an ex Marine and former DC of that stingy SU defense of 93 will whip an inconsistent Aggie defense into shape.If the offense is balanced with a solid passing game they will be almost unbeatable.

4.HIU- The Pirates could be back to their 97-98 form when they the MEAC and went to the playoffs.They did suffer an embarassing loss last year to URI but they also upset A&T on the road.They have had back to back solid recruiting seasons and they are well coached.They are bigger on the defensive side of the ball and more experienced and if they can get a solid qb to make the offense click then they will be the only team to stop A&T.

5.SU-The Jags are back and they will good on both sides of the ball.They have some good young players mixed in with some good experienced players.They have Michael Hayes returning at reciever which will mean trouble for opposing defenses.If their young qb can catch on they could go to the BC with no more than 1 loss.

6.ASU-Cole blooded football has taken off in Montgomery and the Hornets have stung several SWAC foes.They lose their all world qb Darnell Kennedy to graduation but LC has a knack for finding players to excel in his system.They are the team to beat in the SWAC east.

7.FAMU- The rattlers have had to count on a late season collapse the past 2 seasons to win the conference title but as long as FAMU has Billy Joe and the GCO they will be a force to be reckoned with.1A transfer TJ Printers will have a big impact on the GCO.If they can improve their run defense then they will be in the mix for the 1aa crown otherwise it could be 1 and done.

8.TU- The Tigers are for real and for a DII squad they seem to attract alot of good ball players.They are as fast as any 1aa squad have an excellent coach in Comegy.The Tigers have reloaded and will probably dominate the SIAC again.

9.BCC- The cats are ready to get out of the shadow of FAMU and this may be the year.They are experienced on both sides of the ball.If they win all of the games that they should they are looking at 11-1 or 10-2 which could lead to their first playoff appearance.

10.JSU-The Tigers have talent but the coaching is suspect.They went and hired a solid DC which will help an already potent offense from having to score 40pts or more to win games.Robert Kent had an off year but he is still the man.They will reload at the reciver position like always but they will need the coaching to match the talent to survive a brutal schedule that includes GSU,SU,USM,and A&T on the road.

Bison,

Not bad, but I would put Bama State at #3, NC A&T at #4 and Hampton at #6. Rembmber, Bama State was the ONLY TEAM to beat Grambling last year, and our defense should be far better this year. We may have lost Kennedy and other good players on offense, but we have some good ones coming in. And we still have the best coaching staff in all of I-AA football. Period.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I haven't been keeping up with who has what coming back, but you lost me when you put SU at #5.

Interesing commentary
:tup:

Originally posted by BISON-2K1
JSU-They went and hired a solid DC
solid???
according to ?????
based on what records or statistics????

to survive a brutal schedule that includes GSU,SU,USM,and A&T on the road.
They also get to travel to Mobile again.
:snicker:

Alabama State should be ranked on a D2 schedule. They are number 1 in being skerd and padding stats.

MH,

Don't mention who we play on the road (besides three of those are guaranteed wins..along with a win in Mobile), ASU doesn't even have a brutal schedule at home unless you call Tuskegee brutal. This sad.

The Real

1) SOUTHERN U.

2) Tnst

3) Grambling

4) North Carolina A&T

5) Jackson St.

6) Florida A&M

7) Hampton U.

8) Tuskegee

9) Alabama State

10) Bethune Cookman

Logically....

Now if I had to put on my SU blinders, I would say that FAMU would be the question mark. They do have Printers at QB and that is a real good cat to operate their GCO, but they had trash at WRs. If they snuck a couple of guys in with speed and hands, another set of RBs in the mold of Marchbanks and Lordeus(?)...let's just say they could make folks season a little long.

As far as the top 7 are concerned, I'd switch JSU and Hampton. I am not convinced the Pirates are contending. As a matter of fact, the MEAC may be at it's weakest with only two or three headliners...the usual NCAT, FAMU and BCC. Everyone else will just be... competitors.

TnSU...well, they did play JSU in a short week and the game actually meant nothing at that time, so I would say that revenge would be a JSU rallying cry and if they pull that game off, let's just say they will be the measuring stick...at least until they play SU.

GSU is champs until somebody knocks them off. Nuff said. *Just being truthful.*

Bama State? I don't know bout who's controlling the helm, but if it's that kid we got a glimpse of in Mobile...? Well, let's just wait until he gets some reps under his belt before we pass judgement. It wasn't his fault he hadn't seen a defense that fast and strong before. ;)

Besides, there is still TxSU and Alcorn to consider. These are not really bad teams and they may shock a team or two.

This year will be one to relish!!!!

:)

Re: Logically....

Originally posted by Jaguar Diehard

Bama State? I don't know bout who's controlling the helm, but if it's that kid we got a glimpse of in Mobile...? Well, let's just wait until he gets some reps under his belt before we pass judgement.

J.D.,

It probably WON'T BE the kid you saw in Mobile last year. L.C. has brought in some pretty good talent at the QB spot. But you'll just have to wait and see 'em just like everybody else.

See ya in the SCG.

I agree with the teams but I don't agree with the order of most of them. However, all things considered, these ten teams are very evenly matched on paper and potential. The question for most will be how their new QB's will work out and adjust and how long it will take them to come together as a team. I think most team on the list have the potential to rebuild. Who will do it better?? Who will do it faster?? Some teams have the early advantage over others and that is going to lead to some early upsets. But that is just my opionion. You also have to take into consideration the difficulty of the schedule. A&T, FAMU, Gram and JSU have pretty tough schedules and will need qualtiy depth to make the entire season. It is going to be hard in the end to determine a true number one when you consider schedule strength vs records.

my bcf top 10 poll

1.grambling
2.tennessee st.
3.n.carolina a&t
4.hampton
5.alabama st.
6.bethune cookman
7.famu
8.southern univ.
9.jackson st
10.tuskegee/ alabama a&m tied

Moderator?.please move this thread to the Smack Page?cause that?s where it belongs.

This is why I don?t come over here that often. I may as well stay on the Smack board cause that?s all that?s over here anyway. Now I know some of this is earnest speculation, and maybe just maybe Bison is being objective. But the rest of you really need to give it a rest. This is not the Smack Page.

And here is the problem?.what would constitute anyone from SU picking SU #1? Grambling? Why would Bama State be in the top 5? FAMU sucked so bad last year, til SU beat them, at home. So why are they so dynamite all of a sudden?

SU doesn?t have a legit QB with good experience. Where is the backfield? Is anyone on the defense proven? Hell no. Do they have good coaching?No. Yet the blind want people to think that they really have a chance to be good this year. Their best player is still running up and down the sideline nursing a sore knee.

Grambling lost:
The center
Hymes
Shanklin
Other Lineman
The pass rusher
Johnson
Spears
Dukes
The good wide receiver

You don?t lose those kinds of players and just bounce right back. If you think that?s a possibility, then you don?t know football. If you think Bruce Eugene is about to run thangs, you have another thing coming.
Bama State lost all of their skill position players and linemen(which is all they had) so now you want us to thing they will be the same team. Coles scheduled a coward schedule to try to get his boys ready for the SWAC, but that aint gonna help. He might win 6 games, but 3 of them will be against the DII schedule.

I really don?t give a damn about the weak MEAC, so my words will be few and far between, but like I said, anybody that lost to SU last year, and is having to rebuild this year, certainly is not someone to be afraid of. Printers, a wide receiver playing QB, might scare some of you lesser people.

Even TnSU is replacing is QB. You don?t just replace these people and keep kicking.

JSU is bringing back the best QB with the best RBs and best Oline and best WRs in BCF, along with the most improved defense in BCF. Yall might not be convinced now, but you will be by Sept 31st.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by mighty hornet

Yeah, I'll be convinced that jsue is good on Sept 31st
:lol: :lol: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

MH,

My L-E-A-D-E-R told us to take it to the smack board. Up to that point, you must admit, I handled this JSU 10th placed ranking pretty well. Even with no DC, most teams can't handle us. Even with sorry DE's, most teams can't handle us. With a broken down o-line, most teams can't handle us. This is going to be a team comparable to 1999. The 1999 team was better than the 1995 and 1996 teams. The difference this time is that are going to bring home the title. Right now, I can only see TNState being on our level but they lose the bulk of their defense and their QB. Most of you just need to forfeit. September might be rocky because that is when we face our toughest TWO opponents-USM and maybe TNState. The rest of the schedule does not really stand a chance at this point. A&T, SU and Valley are going to get waxed. Is that saying that these teams don't have potential? No. What I am saying is that right now, JSU is just too far ahead of the game for them. While these teams are still trying to find starters, we already have our second string together. All my team has to do is work to get better and get back in rhythm. My team can add offensive schemes while your offense is trying old stuff for the new QB.

I made the same prediction about Alcorn in basketball. When you return 5 starters, you are already half a season ahead of the rest of the SWAC. JSU is going to take off fast and if you just so happen to find a team by mid-October, try to slow us down. Honestly, none of us can see that far. Teams can improve as the season progresses (the root of the WEEK LATER THEORY) but it is too soon to determine that. All I can see right now is September and it looks good for JSU.

I will only comment about GSU. I tend to get carried away and smack if I was to mention some of the other schools. I will try to keep this short, but as it will be rather in depth it might get lengthy. My observations are based upon my knowledge of what returns, observations of my son (who is an honest evaluator of talent) and my confidence in the coaching staff.

By Position:

QB==>Bruce Eugene is the most experienced and odds on favorite. My son says he has looked sharp in throwing drills but the weight is a concern of the Coaches. Barbay is legit and has been accepted by the team based on his ability and work ethic.
His arm and throwing ability is surprising, but the best thing is his mobility. Quick release and good footwork. Sophomores A'ron Thomas and Jaworski Lee have been having good camps. Last Saturday Doug gave them both a long look in the scrimmage and was impressed with both.

Offensive Line===> Lost two starters from last year, but will replace Metevia (center) with Lance Wright, former All-stater from West Monroe High. Lance was a medical redshirt last year and came back Stronger and bigger from living in the weight room.
Coaches are also anticipating the emergence of Jonathan Banks from McKinley High (BR)...6'7' 325 lb man child who benches 550 lbs and runs 4.8 forty. This kid has the potential to be an NFL Hall of Famer. Brandon James (6'6" 305) returns as a 3 yr starter.
He graduated last year and is in graduate school.

Wide Receiver===> Save for Tramon Douglas and Thyron Anderson return with the most experience, but Coaches are high on Octavius Bond (Univ of Kentucky's former starting strong safety) who has looked good in early drills. Also redshirt freshmen Aaron Johnson (5'7" 185) slot receiver drew raves from Doug last season. Doug was really tempted to play him last year, but was quoted as saying, "I'd rather have him as a starter for 4 years". Highly touted Devin Lewis and LaTroy Calhoun of Coushatta have been very impressive. This might be the most talented athletic group in a long time. Plus there is still a possibility that Ellis Spears will return if he graduates in May.

TightEnd===> Last year's starter (when he was a 17 yr old freshman) Bruce Petty has been working mostly at linebacker.
The coaches have expectations to use 6'7" 255lb (4.5 forty) Michael Hatcher at tight end/h-back. LSU is still grieving over Doug signing this kid last year.

Fullback===> Last year's starter Jadaw Lawrence has been moved to tailback to give him some touches and to add depth.
My son said that Doug has twol 250 lb battering rams that has been working at fullback.

Tailback===> Brad Hill faces competition from Jadaw Lawrence (last year's fullback) who has trimmed down to a quick 205 lbs.
A touch inside runner with serious leg drive and enough of a burst to get outside, they are expecting big things from Lawrence and Brad Hill (by the way, Hill is having an excellent camp and is in great shape...down to 215 lbs)

DL===> 3 of last years starters (Antwan Lawrence, Willie Gray, and Ron Johnson are back) 2000 starter Booker Williams will return in the fall to go along with Calvin Arnold and other's who played a lot of reps last year. Remember that GSU played 12 defensive lineman per game. No problems here.

LB===> Here we lost a lot of talent. Fortunately, Marcus Yanez and Bruce Petty (last year's tight end) have stepped up and looked very good in camp. I'm told that there are a lot of linebackers in camp and Roach has them all playing with fire and intensity. Trust me, Roach will have talent and depth when we hit the field.

DB's===> Chris Brown will be an All-American, Denmark Reed will be All-SWAC. The other corner will be Travis Massey who played as the nickel back last year. The early favorite at strong safety is Michael Daigre (6'3" 220lbs) head hunter. Really turned heads last year and was listed as #2 on the depth chart. Doug took a gamble and red-shirted him last year in order to allow him to have 3 years of eligibility and to work on learning defensive scheme. A former High school wide receiver at Glen Oaks High who runs like a deer. Roach has been campaigning to get him as his weakside linebacker (the kid is a hitter).

Scary isn't it?!?

Re: The Real

Originally posted by JROCK
1) SOUTHERN U.

2) Tnst

3) Grambling

4) North Carolina A&T

5) Jackson St.

6) Florida A&M

7) Hampton U.

8) Tuskegee

9) Alabama State

10) Bethune Cookman

TP, BM, GR:

I tend to deal in non-fiction on this page......We shall see!

GSU's Defensive Line...

GSU defensive line returns 3 starters
News-Star news services
Posted on April 10, 2002
GRAMBLING - Grambling State took a good look at its defensive front as the Tigers continued spring football workouts Tuesday.

The Tigers are working in preparation for their annual Spring Black and Gold game at noon April 20 at Eddie G. Robinson Stadium.

GSU returns three starters to its defensive line in senior tackles Antwan Lawrence (6-4, 275) and Willie Gray (6-0, 280) along with senior end Ron Johnson (6-2, 255).

Lawrence and Gray were 2001 first-team All-Southwestern Athletic Conference selections.

The Tigers also return several talented reserves who will mix with newcomers to provide depth. GSU coach Doug Williams said that kind of depth will be needed under the coaching of defensive coordinator Michael Roach and defensive line coach Chris Scott.

"We need all the players we can get on the defensive line with the way Coach Scott and Coach Roach move those guys in and out," Williams said.

Roach said the unusual number of players used on the defensive front comes from Scott's style of coaching.

"Coach Scott will use whole line changes," Roach said. "It helps get your guys who might specialize against the pass or the run in there in the right situations and it also helps make sure everybody stays fresh."

The Tigers are looking for a starter at defensive end, and junior transfer Kenneth Pettway from Southern Arkansas University has looked strong in recent workouts.

"He's got real good speed and good strength," Scott said. "He's good at rushing the pass, and he doesn't let many runs get outside of him. He's going to be a big help for us."

Pettway got Williams' notice at Tuesday's practice.

"He's quick," Williams said. "He beat the running back to the outside a couple of times and that's something you like to see on the defensive side of the ball."

Williams said the defensive line will play a big part in GSU's upcoming season.

"The past couple of years our defensive leadership has come from our linebacking corps," Williams said. "We'll have three new starters at linebacker this season, so those veteran guys on the defensive line and the two returning defensive backs are going to have to step up. We're hoping for some big things from our defensive line."

Re: Re: The Real

Originally posted by JROCK

TP, BM, GR:

I tend to deal in non-fiction on this page......We shall see!

Rock

I must have you mixed up with that other SU guy that use to come here with good analysis....my bad

Carry on...SU #1 Right Right gotcha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GR!

Be for real, MAN!!!!

Until JSU takes out the Bama's, you guys are talking smack on the Sports Page!!!

Remember '93??? You heard it here first!!!

BTW,
As my sig reads....

Memo to everybody......

If you dont have a returning starter as QB, you are going to go thru a period where you new QB has to grasp the speed of the game. Unless your new QBs name is Steve McNair, you are in trouble for a while.

Seeing a little action when the game is out of reach is not the same as being on the firing line. Yall gone learn.

JD

In 93, you had Randal and Bailey(I believe)...YOu had that loud mouth safety (over rated). You dont have that this year. You have no QB, no WRs, and you are weak up the middle on offense and defense....bu if you think its 93 all over again...so be it.

(its 93 all over again, and they cant even snap the damn ball)

Mike, it is not scary to me. I don't think that anyone on here doubts that Gram has talent to replace all of their players. The question is how fast will those guys come together. You return 4 starter on defense. Alcorn return the QB that some of you claim to be better than Kent and a little shrimp named Peters who catches the ball like he is 6'6". Ya'll need to be scared in September. With your defense being so depleted, I am happy that TN State lost their QB. Otherwise, they would have scored 100 on Gram. You all need to be concerned about McNeese, Alcorn and TNState. Be thankful for 0-10.

Back