BCF programs are being revived, who's going to be next?

LaMont

Let make sure I got this right. Edward Waters and Stillman have revived their programs. I believe St. Paul's, Shaw and St. Augustine are in the process of reviving their programs. Are there any other HBCUs exploring reviving football?

The one thing that can be said is that when you revive your football program at an HBCU, the enrollment in those schools always goes up and the alumni become more involved. From a $$ standpoint, football is profitable when you think of all of the $$ is generates by raising your profile. It's ashame that we didn't have the foresight when we shut these programs down in the first place. Besides, a good football teams does magic to a campus needing more student involvement.

Does anyone think that other HBCUs will get in the act?

What about Rust? or Jarvic Christian? Or Texas College? Or Central State? Or Spellman???

LaMont

Note: I remember reading somewhere, where one of the South Carolina HBCUs revived their program and student enrollment jumped by 50% in 3 years.

central

CSU will be next, the money is there waiting. Plans are being made as we speak. Club teams have started poping up on campus and, the Alumni has spoken very firmly about their wishes. The alumni at CSU is very influential and has a good contingent of law makers among it. :)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Just remembers, it was Benedict College

Benedict College pre-football enrollment 1,500. Today, there student enrollment is 2,400. Nuf said.

I still think the following HBCUs could revive (or start) football programs without busting their budgets and reap the benefits of football on campus.

Toogaloo
Wiley College
Xavier University
Florida Memorial College &
Morris College

HBCU functions as one large free advertisement of the college/university and as I said before, there is nothing like homecoming at an HBCU football game.

According to two "experts" from the state of Mississippi (GR & TP), Buffalo State @ Jackson will revive their program this season. I have my doubts, but remember Lazarus did rise too!

Wiley had one of the best teams in their era. Them and Texas College could do it and the original SWAC is almost back.

As for revitalizing, PV will be next. When your not fully funded you might as well say your a club team anyway.

And if Allen (student enrollment 500) could do it

Look at Allen University (SC) with a student enrollment of 500 has revived their team. They played a partial schedule last year and went 5-1 (not bad for a start-up). I give it 5 years at the most and Allen's student enrollment will be over 1,000.

HBCU football is one large advertisement for the college/university and these administrations have to have the commitment to support these sports.

LaMont

Back