Bayou Classic, Soul Bowl, Capital City Classic

Antroy

I need a quick question answered for me. I'm sure the old heads know more about this than the new people.

Was there any point in time in history that the Bayou Classic has ever been called the Soul Bowl or was the Soul Bowl explicitly used for the Alcorn-JSU game (now called the Capital City Classic)?

I remember when BET used to air the Alcorn-JSU game in the late 80s/early 90s, the announcers would call it the Soul Bowl. I have never heard of the Bayou Classic being called the Soul Bowl. I was told by somebody that the Bayou Classic was at one point called the Soul Bowl. I've been saying that he was wrong. I want to be sure.

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
I need a quick question answered for me. I'm sure the old heads know more about this than the new people.

Was there any point in time in history that the Bayou Classic has ever been called the Soul Bowl or was the Soul Bowl explicitly used for the Alcorn-JSU game (now called the Capital City Classic)?

I remember when BET used to air the Alcorn-JSU game in the late 80s/early 90s, the announcers would call it the Soul Bowl. I have never heard of the Bayou Classic being called the Soul Bowl. I was told by somebody that the Bayou Classic was at one point called the Soul Bowl. I've been saying that he was wrong. I want to be sure.

Your right they're wrong , this should be enough here to support your case, if not i'll see if i can find my 25th anniversary game booklet close around with everything in it.

No Soul Bowl

Actually I thought it was GSU/ASU that played in it at the Superdome one year because that thing was moved around alot.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by bluedog

Actually I thought it was GSU/ASU that played in it at the Superdome one year because that thing was moved around alot.

I believe the ICON that is Grambling and Alcorn played in the first football game held in the Superdome.

All I know is JSU/Alcorn was called the "Soul Bowl" wayyy back in the 70's when the game was held on Thanksgiving Day. I think the last one time was '81. After that we started playing on Sat before T'givng due to the 1-AA playoffs. So we or whoever could go. At that time the game went back and forth to the campuses. Then the decided to have it in Jxn every year and later the CCC was born. That's all know from hearsay and living part of it.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
I believe the ICON that is Grambling and Alcorn played in the first football game held in the Superdome.

You are correct, that was mentioned in the 30th Bayou Classic thread. I and a few others was at that game.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

And how does that answer his question? :confused:

The ASU vs JSU game was called the "Soul Bowl" up until about the mid 90's when it changed to the CCC. Check the annual year on the website and you'll see exactly how many CCCs have been played since the Soul Bowl. It was the Soul Bowl when the game was alternated between Jackson and Lorman. Once they started having it in Jackson every year, the CCC was born.

Now, this fool is saying that calling the game the Soul Bowl is a regional thing. The Bayou Classic is the Bayou Classic all over the country!!

Back