Banned Apparel

Psub

By Kim Williams Roedl
Montgomery Advertiser

A Montgomery nightclub has banned clothing from several popular black designers and some clubgoers are calling it discriminatory.

Celebrations owner Barry Barr said the strict dress code was needed to keep "gang members and troublemakers" out of the establishment in east Montgomery.

Some patrons feel the rule unfairly labels those who wear the apparel of four popular black designer lines -- Sean John, Phat Farm, Rocawear and FUBU.

BANNED APPAREL

Patrons are not allowed to wear the following items to Celebrations:

Sean John
Phat Farm
FUBU
Rocawear
Sleeveless shirts
Rebel flag apparel
Bandannas
Baggy pants
White undershirts
Glow-sticks
Wavecaps, skullcaps, toboggans
Backward baseball caps
Visors
Athletic wear
Management reserves the right to deem what is proper attire

Source: Posted dress code sign at Celebrations

What do you think of that?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
A lot of clubs have such standards. You'll note that they included rebel flags.

BTW, how is that different from a place that won't let you in wearing sneakers or a baseball cap?

I can understand a clothing policy, but a ban on certain designers????? Man that club is the poster child of hypocricy (sp), because they will still play records from Bad Boy, and Def Jam/Murder Inc/Rocca Fella, or any other Def Jam affiliated company.

NICE

If he wants to ban those types of clothes, then the clubs patrons need to find a new place to go. Once he is loosing money, he'll change his stance.

They don't want a lot of blacks coming in the first place. The owners feel more blacks will drive his white patrons away. Auburn had a club that restricted people wearing braids and cornrolls. Someone filed a suit and the policy was dropped. The plainiffs claimed the policy violated the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Celebration's policy is a tailored made lawsuit.

No one should sue. It's a private establishment and can have whomever they want in there. If no one goes, then they won't be open anyway. Don't waste my legal system with another frivilous lawsuit. It's not like other clubs don't have strict dress codes.

D-Nice hit it on the head. I have no problem with saying no athletic gear but to say no Sean Jean, FUBU, Rocawear, or Phatfarm - actual designers, that is a problem. All of these designers happen to make clothing other than athletic gear...What about no Armani, DKNY, CK etc?

With all that said, I still wouldnt want to go cause I am not wanted there....So Gump peeps, yall give Squirrel and Slim yall money at the Flight - Oops my bad - Tha Rose :D

I agree... they should have just said no athletic gear.
It's discriminatory, but I'm sure that there are probably better places to go. Don't give 'em your money.

That argument was used in the Jim Crow South. The 1964 Civil Right Act banned this type of discrimination. A lawsuit would not be frivious. Goods sold at the establishment fall under the interstate commerce clause, so the argument about it being a private establishment does not hold water.

Um, I guess if I go in there in some of that crappy looking J-Ho ****, I oughta be aight?

Whatever!

I saw some Calvin Klein gear that was JUST as ghetto as the Sean John stuff it was next to. I guess these dumb asses don't realize that the Black dollar is mighty enough that white designers are acclimating their lines to get a couple ...

__ __ __!

It is quite simple. Either go and follow the rules or don't go. We have a club in Jackson with all sorts of rules of what you can do at this hour and can't do at this hour. I stopped going. (no I am not talking about Freelon's - No Jeans and Sneakers never bothered me) When someone calls me and says meet me at the *****, I tell them plainly I am not going.

Bottom line.

Dude above pretty much bottom lines it. If you want a club free of rules and regulations, start your own and assume responsibility/liability for the fights and the shootings and killings.

Back