BAMA STATE and FAMU at Detroit Classic

THAMES

c14classicnote1.jpg

Alabama State Band

http://www.detnews.com/2003/college/0308/31/c14-258732.htm

Steve Perez / The Detroit News

The Alabama State band performs during the Battle of the Bands halftime show. Florida A&M's band was declared the winner.

Detroit Football Classic: Notebook

Battle of Bands rocks halftime at Ford Field

By Joanne C. Gerstner / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The truth was out Saturday at Ford Field: The football game was fun, but the real excitement and attraction occurred at halftime.

The Florida A&M and Alabama State bands put on a rollicking "Battle of the Bands" halftime show, a traditional part of historical black college games.

The subdued crowd came alive at halftime, screaming and cheering during the entire performance. Ford Field became completely filled at halftime, with fans coming in just to see the show.

Detroiter Krista Gamble, a 2000 A&M graduate, said the battle is a big deal.

"Nobody really comes for the football. We're all about the band," Gamble, 26, said.

Both schools threw down 15 minutes worth of booty-shaking dancing, funky formations, traditional marching band formations and songs by Barry White and Beyonce Knowles to get the crowd going.

The A&M band, however, called the "Marching 100" because of its size, stole the show with its creativity.

Their show featured the formation of a car, complete with spinning wheels and mock exhaust from theatrical smoke, a kickboxing routine, nine drum majors flying around like madmen and enough dancing to qualify for a serious cardio workout.

They ended the performance with their announcer saying, "Detroit, the difference is clear." The crowd agreed, selecting A&M the winner by a voice vote.

Melvin Jenkins, a 1985 graduate of Alabama State, admitted even he was impressed.

"Man, all of those kids worked so hard. It's not enough to play something, but you've got to be able to dance and keep up," Jenkins, a resident of Atlanta, said.

He came up for the weekend to see the game and visit relatives in Metro Detroit.

"My school was good, but FAMU is famous for that," he said. "You can't touch them."

Local ties

Even though A&M and Alabama State aren't close to Detroit, their coaches still have interesting ties to the Metro area.

Alabama State Coach Charles Coe was drafted by the Tigers in 1971, spending two years in their farm system as a shortstop. He quit baseball and turned to football.

A&M Coach Billy Joe knows his way around Detroit, having recruited Public School League players for years.

"I know all the schools, been there: Mackenzie, Chadsey, Mumford, Pershing, you name them," Joe said. "There are some great players up there."

Quick shots

The game was hampered by technical problems in the first quarter, delaying play for up to seven minutes at a time.

There were issues with the timekeepers, forcing the referees to wait until time was corrected on the game clocks.

... Lions defensive end Robert Porcher and Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick were named honorary captains and took part in the coin flip. Kilpatrick, an A&M graduate and football player, wore a No. 70 A&M jersey. Porcher, a graduate of South Carolina State, was on hand to support Alabama State.

Originally posted by THAMES
c14classicnote1.jpg

Alabama State Band

http://www.detnews.com/2003/college/0308/31/c14-258732.htm

The Alabama State band performs during the Battle of the Bands halftime show. Florida A&M's band was declared the winner.

The A&M band, however, called the "Marching 100" because of its size, stole the show with its creativity.

Their show featured the formation of a car, complete with spinning wheels and mock exhaust from theatrical smoke, a kickboxing routine, nine drum majors flying around like madmen and enough dancing to qualify for a serious cardio workout.

They ended the performance with their announcer saying, "Detroit, the difference is clear." The crowd agreed, selecting A&M the winner by a voice vote.

Maybe it's just me but, don't they do that at least every other show????:confused:

Originally posted by roadblock-2-spr97
Maybe it's just me but, don't they do that at least every other show????:confused:

It's not just you.
that move on the pic looks familiar...........

I heard it was a great turn out for the game.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
It's not just you.

I wasn't going to say it but,....I'm glad I'm not the only one to see it.

Question:

Are they wearing spats or not???

It's not just you.

I heard it was a great turn out for the game.

As a matter of fact, it does..........

Back to FAMU, nine DM's is nothing new, rolling cars with smoke is nothing new. Moving men on the field is nothing new, and definately the statement made at the end is nothing new, so what gives???

As a matter of fact, it does..........

Back to FAMU, nine DM's is nothing new, rolling cars with smoke is nothing new. Moving men on the field is nothing new, and definately the statement made at the end is nothing new, so what gives???

1). Everyone isn't a band head. So everyone doesnt watch a million and one band tapes or havent seen FAMU enough for that NOT to be impressive. Maybe not impressive to you because you've actually seen it before, but not to a city like Detroit who is probably seeing the 100 for the first time.

2) When the norm for bands is to make diamonds, circles and squares while drilling...stepping outside of that box and making something recognizable to the crowd (i.e. FAMU forming a car or SU forming the halftime score) will ALWAYS be a crowd pleaser and will probably be something remembered a lot MORE in the long run.

Not trying to start a debate, just trying to give you a different perspective to understand where the writer is coming from.

Originally posted by Venom Skywalker

Not trying to start a debate, just trying to give you a different perspective to understand where the writer is coming from.
Well,...now since you put it in that perspective,....I understand your point of view. But, it seems like in just about every band's approach to halftime performances,....there is an up side as well as a down side.

People love to devalue a Hundred show by saying it was "typical" or "same ol".

Well, the fact is a "typical" Hundred show is leagues ahead of the rest of the pack in musicality, showmanship, creativity and excitement.

And, I promise that SOME of you will never be impressed with the Hundred until we sacrifice musicality for volume, revert back to precision drills and simplify our dance routines.

ANYWAY...

I enjoyed both bands Saturday. Neither band is to be slept on this year.

Let's stop beating around the bush here. The only reason your comments are being made is because of mine so I will respond to you and not "SOME".

No one is devaluing a FAMU show.

I don't take away from FAMU because they not "blowing". They don't need to especially if it would take AWAY from the sound they have now. Some of FAMU shows are on point with the animation but then, some are not. When it comes to ballads and marches, FAMU got that but just because they are BIG doesn't mean the field shows are gonna be that fire everytime.

That other stuff you talking about as far as simple dances and things, I didn't say any thing about the dancing. You can dance till your azz fall off. That doesn't mean the show was outstanding.

And just because a "typical" FAMU show is as you put it, leagues ahead, it doesn't always mean it's better.

Most people...

Most people dont understand the sufficient of a HBCU football game and band in Detroit. If FAMU and ASU band just stood there and play marches on the field, Detroiter would have been happy with that.
It was about 70,000 people at the game.
Think about it Michigan is miles and miles away from FAMU and ASU. FAMU and ASU are not even in the same conference. There's no major rivary between the two schools. There first game of the season. The football game really didnt mean much to anybody in Detroit.
To get 70,000 people to show up to a HBCU football to see the halftime show,<b>Priceless</b>

ASU and FAMU was okay. Nothing was real impressive and theres nothing to talk down about....

Great show from both bands...

Highlights:
ASU marched backwards and frontwards on the field.
ASU marched without music.
ASU tubas rule the World.

FAMU made a SUV with spinnig rims.
FAMU full the whole field.

Note:
FAMU played "HAY in the middle of the barn" which I didnt like, because its the oldest blowing song out there and everyone DONE played the crack out of it over the years

ASU played a song that I know some trumpets could have TAKEN in up an octave.

Overall it was a great weekend for the city of Detroit and HBCU.
If the promoters are smart, next year they will invite teams like JSU, Grambling, SU, AAMU, TenSU or something. Might sell more tickets.

P.S. FAMU football team got whipped. I thought they was going to another Conference. They better rethink that move.

To ASU band members, Im the guy that had a red hat on, red shirt, and blue pants. On the left side of the band. I was acting a little crazy when FAMU played "Hay" and ASU came back and played "You can hate me now"....Remeber!

Yo I heard the fields shows were decent! SOmebody tell me about the battle though!! Was there a 5th quarter?? Whast did the bands sound like?? Were there any highlight songs blown in the stands
Let ya boy know something!!!1

Sigma Alpha Ki "99"
Snap Snap ????????
Price of Glory is High!!

PRECIATE THAT TRUTHFULL UNBIAS OPION OF THE GAME SHAWTY ---------ZACK----. FROM WHAT I HEARD FROM AN ASU BANDS MEN THE BATTLES WAS GOOD. EVEN THOUGH FAM COULD HAVE ATLEAST DID SUMTHIN DIFFRENT IM TIRED OF THAT CAR **** .NOT HATIN JUST BEEIN TRUTHFULL. EACH BAND GOT ITS HOUSE . BUT LIKE HE SAID DETRIOT WAS JUST HAPPY TO SEE HBCU BANDS PERIOD SO EACH BAND COULD HAVE BEEN F-ED UP AND STILL GOT HOUSE. SO I THINK IT WAS ALL ABOUT JUST ENTERTAINING. WHICH IT SHOULD BE ANY WAY. BUT ASU HELD THERE OWN AGAINST FAMU WHICH IS A TIGHT THING .

WATCH OUT FOR ASU SHAWTY THE YEAR HAS JUST STARTED AND ITS ALOT OF WAXIN STILL IN STORE

GOOD JOB HATS OFF ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO MY FOLKS AT STATE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SHAWTY.

Let's stop beating around the bush here. The only reason your comments are being made is because of mine so I will respond to you and not "SOME".

No one is devaluing a FAMU show.

I don't take away from FAMU because they not "blowing". They don't need to especially if it would take AWAY from the sound they have now. Some of FAMU shows are on point with the animation but then, some are not. When it comes to ballads and marches, FAMU got that but just because they are BIG doesn't mean the field shows are gonna be that fire everytime.

That other stuff you talking about as far as simple dances and things, I didn't say any thing about the dancing. You can dance till your azz fall off. That doesn't mean the show was outstanding.

And just because a "typical" FAMU show is as you put it, leagues ahead, it doesn't always mean it's better.

What does being big have to do with how well we play ballads and marches? That makes absolutely no sense. We would have the same level of musicality with 50 people or 450 people. Concept doesn't come with size.

Even if there were different formations, some people would still be unimpressed. Most bandheads seem to prefer slants, diamonds and such.

My whole point is, we innovate, we experiment, we think outside the box, which is what 90% of HBCU bands don't do. A lot of things bands are doing now, we've moved on from, but those repetitive drills and simple routines are all some of you see.

I know the average fan would rather hear their jam than In Storm and Sunshine, no matter how crappy the band is playing their jam. I know the some (not all) fans are more impressed with a loud band, than a musically sound band. The sad part is when those of us who call ourselves college musicians feed into that nonsense, which it seems is the case a lot of times.

You misread.

Use your reading skills again.

When it comes to ballads and marches, FAMU got that but just because they are BIG doesn't mean the field shows are gonna be that fire everytime.

Your size has nothing to do with how you sound. You see the word but, it's used for a reason.

If you start from but, maybe you will understand that part of the sentence.

ok.

To that, though, you'll NEVER hear ANYONE from the Hundred say we are good because we are big. You'll NEVER hear ANYONE say our shows are better because of our size. You guys emphasize our size more than we do.

You're absolutely right. Our shows aren't better because we're big.

Originally posted by DIace99
I know the average fan would rather hear their jam than In Storm and Sunshine, no matter how crappy the band is playing their jam. I know the some (not all) fans are more impressed with a loud band, than a musically sound band. The sad part is when those of us who call ourselves college musicians feed into that nonsense, which it seems is the case a lot of times.
I feel you,.......yes,......I really do and that's what breaks my heart.

It is not my intentions to stir up this debate up any further but, there are some people who get intimidated by your size. Size means nothing to me but, quality does. Mr. Hutchinson demonstrated that back in 84. J.C. Smith did it at the HBOTB.

Fam's shows might not necesarily be better because of your size - but your size does allow for that 'thinking out of the box' u mention...If the band was the avg size of let's just use Southern or J-State - there probably wouldnt be cars/suv formations, stickmen throwing footballs, spelling 'shut up' or 'get low' with the arrows pointing in different directions.

Having as many people marching allows for those kind of things to happen. And with that many people you are supposed and should do those kinds of things.

That's just like a football team that has 33 players dressed to play versus a team with 11 - the team with 33 should win and be more creative because they have enough players for offense, defense and special teams, while the team with 11 has to go both ways plus special teams with their 11, so its harder to do as much with their 11 than the team with 33.

I am sure we never will hear anyone from the Hundred say anything like that, but from spectator standpoint that is an observation.

Someone sees where I'm coming from when I talk about FAMU's size.

Your average bands can't do animation to the extent that FAMU does because of one factor, size.

Like I said before, some of FAMU's shows are fireand then, some are not.

I love FAMU's double time marching. That to me was the tightest thing they did in their show. As far as music, it was aiight. They sound like a symphonic band trying to play R&B. In the stands, I personally feel that FAMU to the "L". Because of their size, I was expecting them to outblow State but it didn't happen. I forgot all of the songs that where played during the fifth but I remember State playing "Step in the Name of Love Remix" while FAMU was leaving.

Originally posted by CUDAPOWOW
PRECIATE THAT TRUTHFULL UNBIAS OPION OF THE GAME SHAWTY ---------ZACK----. FROM WHAT I HEARD FROM AN ASU BANDS MEN THE BATTLES WAS GOOD. EVEN THOUGH FAM COULD HAVE ATLEAST DID SUMTHIN DIFFRENT IM TIRED OF THAT CAR **** .NOT HATIN JUST BEEIN TRUTHFULL. EACH BAND GOT ITS HOUSE . BUT LIKE HE SAID DETRIOT WAS JUST HAPPY TO SEE HBCU BANDS PERIOD SO EACH BAND COULD HAVE BEEN F-ED UP AND STILL GOT HOUSE. SO I THINK IT WAS ALL ABOUT JUST ENTERTAINING. WHICH IT SHOULD BE ANY WAY. BUT ASU HELD THERE OWN AGAINST FAMU WHICH IS A TIGHT THING .

WATCH OUT FOR ASU SHAWTY THE YEAR HAS JUST STARTED AND ITS ALOT OF WAXIN STILL IN STORE

GOOD JOB HATS OFF ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO MY FOLKS AT STATE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SHAWTY.
Where is Nita?????? :|:|:|:|

Originally posted by majiksity
Fam's shows might not necesarily be better because of your size - but your size does allow for that 'thinking out of the box' u mention...If the band was the avg size of let's just use Southern or J-State - there probably wouldnt be cars/suv formations, stickmen throwing footballs, spelling 'shut up' or 'get low' with the arrows pointing in different directions.

Having as many people marching allows for those kind of things to happen. And with that many people you are supposed and should do those kinds of things.

That's just like a football team that has 33 players dressed to play versus a team with 11 - the team with 33 should win and be more creative because they have enough players for offense, defense and special teams, while the team with 11 has to go both ways plus special teams with their 11, so its harder to do as much with their 11 than the team with 33.

I am sure we never will hear anyone from the Hundred say anything like that, but from spectator standpoint that is an observation.

I definately agree that a lot of the things we do, especially with drills, couldn't be done or wouldn't be as effective with a smaller band. However, the Hundred has always pushed the creative envelope with field shows since the very beginning. It's a mindset that we have that didn't just come about when the band reached 300+ members.

Bands like JSU and BCC could do the same things that we do, but they don't. Why don't they? Different bands. Different mindsets.

It just amazes me the things "college bandsmen" are impressed with these days, though.

At any rate, if I didn't say it before, I commend ASU for a good showing in Detroit. I know things will only get better for both bands as the season progresses.

It's not just you.

:rolleyes: Well since you asked, we also did that when I was marching. There are a couple of other traditional moves that we always incorporate into the dance routine.

Anywhoo, I just came in to be nosey and to tell my fellow MMH Alumni how proud they should be of ASU..........they did a great job!!

DIace99: It was good meeting you at the game!! BTW, anyone ever tell you that you look like a certain comedian? ;)

I don't feel like typing, so here are my previous comments from another website:

I enjoyed myself at the game.........it was great to see all the Detroit folks that crabbed with me in 92.........no one has aged a bit!! :D

First, lemme give props to ASU.........I am REALLY proud of you guys.......you did a wonderful job and you represented the SWAC very well........and the folks in Detroit love ya'll to death!!! You all should have seen the mini parade the band put on after the game!!! The fans loved it!!! Especially the high school students.

As far as FAMU........well ya'll did exactly what I expected.........win the crowd over with an animated formation, a gospel song, and azz shaking.........you guys did a good job on the field and I love the gospel song that ya'll played; I didn't care much for the dance routine however; it was kinda boring.........other than that, the show was pretty good. You guys may have won the field battle, but ASU definitely got it in the stands. :D By the way, what happened with FAMU's trombone section?? I expected wayyyyyyyy more that what ya'll put out on Saturday........I've always been a fan of FAMU's trombone section and was quite disappointed. :smh: Oh, and Stanizzle (hey frat!!), a lot of Trunk-A-Funk's fanfares that they played Saturday were original fanfares that my section leader Teddy wrote when I played in the section, so they were not stolen.

ASU, I was really impressed with the field show...........props to Mr. Bonds and the other asst (I can't remember his name) for writing the drill..........it was much better that last years drill. Props also goes to the Stingettes!! I never cared for them when I marched in the band, but on Saturday, dem heffas did da dayum thang!!! As far as the stands, you guys were great, but honestly I'm a little tired of "Area Codes" and "The Way." Sorry, just being honest........but you guys messed me up with that "Sweet Home Alabama!!" I was like :eek2: no dey didn't!!! :lol: Trunk-A-Funk, ya'll really made "Da Queen" proud Saturday........I dayum near wanted to pull out my horn and play with yall!! :lol: Tell that female trombone crab to hang in there! :D

Once again ASU, I'm really proud of ya'll..........your performance on Saturday after 2 weeks of practice gives new meaning to "The Miracle Band!" :lol:

Now with that being said, don't get the big head cause it ain't over.........FAMU was the least of ya worries..........be ready for BCC cause they ain't no joke!

Re: Most people...

Originally posted by zack
Most people dont understand the sufficient of a HBCU football game and band in Detroit. If FAMU and ASU band just stood there and play marches on the field, Detroiter would have been happy with that.
It was about 70,000 people at the game.
Think about it Michigan is miles and miles away from FAMU and ASU. FAMU and ASU are not even in the same conference. There's no major rivary between the two schools. There first game of the season. The football game really didnt mean much to anybody in Detroit.
To get 70,000 people to show up to a HBCU football to see the halftime show,<b>Priceless</b>

ASU and FAMU was okay. Nothing was real impressive and theres nothing to talk down about....

Great show from both bands...

Highlights:
ASU marched backwards and frontwards on the field.
ASU marched without music.

ASU pep band stole that from Baton Rouge Allstar Band at our (M'sport BOTB)...lol. I ain't think GIG would take that, I knew he was loving it though...BTW. That was an old SU show. One of ASU's field show arrangers is from SU....No smack intended
ASU tubas rule the World.

FAMU made a SUV with spinnig rims.
FAMU full the whole field.

Note:
FAMU played "HAY in the middle of the barn" which I didnt like, because its the oldest blowing song out there and everyone DONE played the crack out of it over the years

ASU played a song that I know some trumpets could have TAKEN in up an octave.

Overall it was a great weekend for the city of Detroit and HBCU.
If the promoters are smart, next year they will invite teams like JSU, Grambling, SU, AAMU, TenSU or something. Might sell more tickets.

P.S. FAMU football team got whipped. I thought they was going to another Conference. They better rethink that move.

To ASU band members, Im the guy that had a red hat on, red shirt, and blue pants. On the left side of the band. I was acting a little crazy when FAMU played "Hay" and ASU came back and played "You can hate me now"....Remeber!

Back