Auburn University Site Shows Racist Images

Sad, but it keeps us from going to sleep. I'm not surprised at all. Sometimes I think we forget what our forefathers endured and assume that the new millinium is colorblind. Not all of us, just some of us.
I think we're all awake now...
Then again, not all of us, just some of us.

JagsPride:

You are very correct. The more things change the more things remain the same.

Add this one to the fiasco we have in this city with the white two cops who killed an unarmed black man while he was in their custody with a choke hold who were acquited. And this after the coroner ruled "mechanical asphyxiation" (choke hold or piling on) killed him and one of the cops on the scene testified that he saw the cop accused holding the guy in the choke hold using excessive force. The accused one got a hung jury when his jury of (correction here) 10 whites and two blacks voted 10 to 2 that he was not quilty. The two black jurors found him guilty, the 10 white jurors found him not guilty . The D.A. announced today that he would not retry him.

It's sad in this age of "integration" that we still have to teach our children about recognizing racism and its affects. But its our duty as parents to do just that. I talk to my teenage kids, especially my 13 year old son about racism, how to handle the cops, etc., all the time. It's a shame that I have to teach him how to be respectful but yet cautious in dealing with "those whose trust is to protect and to serve". I don't have the luxury of teaching him that "cops are his friends" because it has been proven too many times in this town that they bring their attitudes and backgrounds to the job with them and the first thing that they see with black males is "black".

Teach your children well. The attitudes of those students at Auburn didn't just happen. They had to get it from somewhere. I suspect it was from their parents. That shows me what their parents are teaching their kids. We have to protect ours by teaching them to protect themselves.

And then on top of this we have the idiots who commit black on black crime.

Regards.

What EVERYBODY said earlier...

Teach your children well. The attitudes of those students at Auburn didn't just happen. They had to get it from somewhere. I suspect it was from their parents. That shows me what their parents are teaching their kids. We have to protect ours by teaching them to protect themselves.

And then on top of this we have the idiots who commit black on black crime.

So true! So true! So true!!!!

University Meets With Students, Launches Investigation

November 6, 2001 -- Last night, hours after seeing racially-charged Halloween fraternity party photographs of white students in blackface -- one with a noose around his neck -- and Ku Klux Klan costumes, hundreds of African American students crammed into Room 189 of Auburn University?s Foy Union building for a Black Student Union meeting.
In addition to students, senior university administrators, including interim President William F. Walker, were present.

AU_SGA_PresNews.jpg

Brandon Riddick-Seale, President of the Student Government Association at Auburn University

Walker announced the university had launched an investigation into the matter, and he repeated a statement released earlier, calling the photos ?shocking and outrageous.?

?On behalf of the faculty, staff and students, I apologize deeply for the hurt that has been caused for so many by the insensitive acts of a few students.?

President Walker also told the crowd that Delta Sigma Phi and Beta Theta Pi had been temporarily suspended pending a full investigation.

?We will aggressively investigate this, but we will make sure that all students get due process,? Walker later said.

Still, many of the black students voiced the tightly wound emotions that permeated the room.

?Are we valued at Auburn?? asked a female black student. ?Does anyone care that we not only felt humiliated but intimidated??

A black male student from Birmingham, Alabama, said, ?There is a guy standing there with a shotgun, pointing it at the head of the blackfaced character. How can we not take that as a threat??

An apology and applause
In the most anticipated moment of the evening, Matt Furin, president of Delta Sigma Phi -- one of the fraternities accused of participating in the Halloween parties -- addressed the gathering.

The crowd hushed as he approached the microphone.

?We are sorry for what we have done,? Furin said. He also said the party did not reflect the spirit of his fraternity.

As he drew a deep breath and walked away from the podium, the crowd applauded him.

Sanford Johnson, president of the Black Student Union, said, ?It took a lot of courage for him [Furin] to come here. That was a good first step in healing, but there is much more that has to been done.?

Beta Theta Pi, the other fraternity involved in the parties, did not send a representative to the meeting. It instead issued a statement saying the group would cooperate fully with the University's investigation.

Delta Sigma Phi expelled two members Tuesday and suspended four others. The fraternity's national deputy director arrived in Auburn Tuesday to begin an investigation. It is not known whether Beta Theta Pi's national body will do the same.

"Not unique to Auburn University"
Renee Middleton, president of the Alabama Black Faculty Association pointed out that events like this happen on campuses across the country.

"It's not unique to Auburn University. It's not unique to the South," Middleton said. "When people make a judgment, it will be about what did the administration do. That's what people will be watching -- the long term impact on recruitment and retention."

Brandon Riddick-Seale, the third African American Student Government Association president in Auburn?s history, encouraged collective action and a recognition that hard work must be done.

?I think we have to send the message that this behavior is absolutely unacceptable at this university,? Riddick-Seale said. "This is not who we are, and this is not what we are about.

?We must trust in the president and the administration as they face some very difficult choices, and we must also get ready for the tough work ahead as we work to heal some pretty deep wounds together

HE ON-GOING INVESTIGATION OF TWO FRATERNITIES AT AUBURN HAS DEEPENED. TWO SOURCES, WHO WISH TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS, TELL US THAT *RUSSELL DOYLE* HAS WITHDRAWN FROM SCHOOL.
HE IS IDENTIFIED AS A DELTA SIGMA PHI FRATERNITY MEMBER ACCUSED OF WEARING A RACIST COSTUME TO AN ON-CAMPUS HALLOWEEN PARTY. DOYLE'S DECISION TO WITHDRAW COMES JUST A DAY AFTER HE WAS EXPELLED FROM DELTA SIGMA PHI.

This was my top story today.

The NAACP also called a news conf at 11. They're calling for quick/severe action.

Living right here near the university and covering news stories from there daily, I can tell ya....the % of blacks is 6% and athletes may account for half of that percentage.

It's not shocking to me, but you'd be suprised to hear what others in the area think. For the most part, blacks and whites are outraged.

This reminds me of Ole Miss 1988

When I was on the yard at JSU in 88 the Nupes from Ole Miss received a letter from Kappa Alpha Order. These white boys have an old south day where they dress in confederate uniforms and other crap like that. They sent the bruhs an invitation to the event and told them the appropriate dress was dungarees, no shirts, ankle shackles and steel collars (slave attire). They also said that fried chicken and watermelon were provided. The bruhs forwarded the letter to every Kappa chapter in the state of MS, Tennesse, Arkansas and LA. We were told when the event was but our attire was combat boots, jeans, Kanes and Baseball bats. Needless to say, we made national news "adjusting the attitude" of the Kappa Alpha Order. They felt they could send a letter like that because there were only 11 bruhs in the chapter and they were about 100 deep. What they didnt know is the love and respect we as a people have for our organizations. Sometimes all it takes is a PHONECALL.
And some people wonder why I own 4 assault rifles.

DD NUPE 4LIFE

Another point

The ironic thing about those white boys is that they pulled the isht they did and will cheer for Auburn's 80% black football team...cheer for Auburn's 99.9% black basketball team...brag that Bo Jackson and Charles Barkley went to school there and then pull this kind of idiotic ISHT. These same punks wont think they are racist cuz they say things like "I have Black friends."
I think it's time for me to go to the shooting range again.

"In Glock We Trust !!"

Originally posted by jelli
Does this really surprise that this stuff is going on? :confused:

I'm not! :redhot:

I remember the samething happen at Ole Miss after a Greekshow. This **** has to stop. :redhot:

Back