Auburn University Site Shows Racist Images

Killer Bees

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/1news/alabama/110601_au.html

AU site shows racist images

By Ken L. Spear
Montgomery Advertiser

Racist images on the Internet led to the suspension Monday of all members of two Auburn University fraternities, officials reported.

The suspensions of about 185 students stem from sets of offensive Halloween party photos. White boys in blackface. A hooded Ku Klux Klansman holding a noose around the neck of a mock Negro. Some in the photos sported Afro wigs, stocking caps, bulky jewelry and jerseys of Omega Psi Phi, a prominent black fraternity.

University leaders suspended Delta Sigma Phi and Beta Theta Pi members pending a full investigation of apparent violations of the university's written policy on harassment and discrimination.

Also, the university withdrew its recognition of the fraternities. Other disciplinary action is possible.

The national offices of the fraternities are probing the two incidents.

"Thirty-seven years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, there is no acceptable explanation for the appearance of students in Ku Klux Klan robes or blackface," said Wes Williams, vice president for student affairs at Auburn.

Officials say the parties occurred Oct. 25 and 27 at the campus fraternity houses, which are university properties leased to the organizations.

Calls made to the fraternity houses were unanswered.

Members of Omega Psi Phi fraternity were alerted Sunday evening about the images, which first appeared on the partypics.com Web site administered by Village Photographers of Auburn.

Omega President Octavius Walton said fraternity members copied the photos and linked them to the Omega Psi Phi Web page to make a case with university administration.

"We knew it would be a problem trying to prove it. We had to have evidence," Walton said. "It's not what you can say, but what you can prove."

Black students alerted the administration that the stereotypical portrayal and the unauthorized use of the Omega jerseys constitute serious concerns.

"We're just going to handle it rationally. We're looking for the severest punishment possible," Walton said. "And if they don't (receive that), we'll seek higher means.

Walton said an apology won't be enough.

"It's like 2001, and it's still going on. They need more than just a pat on the wrist," Walton said.

Allen Patterson, general manager of Village Photographers, said the university's action may be too drastic.

"There were a few people who used bad judgment," Patterson said. "It's unfortunate that the entire fraternity would be penalized due to the indiscretion of a few members."

Patterson pulled the photos off the partypics.com Web site following a sequence of Monday morning calls.

"After looking at them, I felt they needed to be removed," he said. "At this point, some may go back up."

Meanwhile, Delta Sigma Phi's national office is appalled.

"The images we have seen are deplorable and completely contradictory to our fraternity's values and beliefs," said Jon Hockman, executive director of the Delta Sigma Phi national office in Indianapolis.

Delta Sigma Phi embraces diversity and was founded by members of Jewish and Christian faiths, Hockman said.

"Any member within our group who contradicts our stated values or beliefs will not be welcome," he said.

Auburn University officials vowed to aggressively pursue the investigation. They say due process and other rights must be observed, although the images are in front of them.

"It's a process required of any student organization, so they've got rights to explain their position," said James Bowers, a university spokesman. "We're just trying to be fair all around."

During the last two decades a number of incidents like these have occurred at school across the country. However, I hear that Auburn is in some sort of a time warp. To put it lightly I hear that a brother and a sister had better watch their back in that town. Correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know what the climate is in Auburn. About a year ago, a couple of Asian students where killed in their apartment. I am not sure if they caught that the suspect(s). But anyway, had these images never hit the internet, it would have continue. I am sure these are not the only two fraternities that have parties such as this.

025News.jpg

page1-1.jpg

page1-2.jpg

DAMN THE CORRECT WAY... this is why i like the OLD MALCOM X. If I was at AU we would be at WAR right now. It would be WORST than that movie that Ice Cube was in (HIGHER LEARNING).

im in the lab right now sittin next to an alpha and a sigma and they just informed me about this ****!!!!!!! I was actually coming here to post what happened.............. this is truly sad and Im sure every black person at Auburn Univ is feeling anger!!!!! just a sample of what you encounter while going to a PWC:(

page2-4.jpg

Despite this, many black athletes will still flock to the school during the recruiting periods. That is truly sad.

Omegas (and other Greeks on the board):

How do you feel about them wearing your letters and your colors. Is there anything legally, on a national level, or on a pan-hellenic council level (including nationally) that can be done to them about this?

Regards.

The minority students who attend Auburn are very quiet about the stuff that goes on at the University. Auburn has the highest enrollment of blacks at a PWC in the state of Alabama.

To see all the pics..check out the web site....tolorance.org.

I kan't speak for the ques, but if it were us, there are soem legal actons that can be taken. The symbols of Kappa Alpha Psi are all liscensed and trademarked. Just as I am sure they are for everyone else.

This assanine. I mean while I was looking at photo after photo, I just became more and more angry. 2001, and we are still dealing with the same non sense.

That this happen at Auburn does not suprise me at all. (Now don't get me wrong, it could have happen at BAMA too. They are just as racist as those rednecks at Auburn.)

I just wonder what the black athletes at Auburn think about this situation.

Now, who ever is in charge of recruiting at ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY, ALABAMA A&M UNIVERSITY etc., Auburn has given you some powerful ammunition:

NOW USE IT AGAINST THEM, DAMMIT!!!!!!

:redhot:

This just puts in view what we've already known.
Some people are bred racists...And then others are followers.
What I wait to see is the schools response, outside of frat suspension.
:( :mad:

Growing up in the "SIP", this is nothing new. Ole Miss still waves the confederate flag. That's why I thank GOD that my parents preached the importance of a good education and that a HBCU can deliver that education without being racially divided.

I am still in shock looking at these pics. My Frat bro. just emailed me the link. :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

I dont believe something like this could happen in TEXAS. I believe the ques here have too much pride to let this slide by. In fact i believe they may be on the way to Auburn. :D

I kan't speak for the ques, but if it were us, there are soem legal actons that can be taken. The symbols of Kappa Alpha Psi are all liscensed and trademarked. Just as I am sure they are for everyone else.

Suge - I dont see any symbols, only letters and I dont believe you can Trademark letters. I dont know.

docmump,

You are right this could not happen in Texas, in Texas they tie you to the back of a pick up truck and go joy riding and you wouldn't be in blackface.

Those pictures are sick. Its truly sad to see the level of ignorance of some people, but it does not shock me. What kind of education could Auburn be providing if it lets ignorant people like that in.
I'm so glad I went to Southern U.

This really pisses me off. I don't know what official stance the fraternity is going to take, but I personally plan to draft a letter to the powers that be at Auburn University and express my feelings.

I haven't had a chance to discuss this with the officers of my chapter, but I have a meeting planned at the law offices of one of the bruhs this evening.

There is a site that allows for the posting of comments, I intend to make use of that site once I have collected my thoughts.

Originally posted by docmump

Suge - I dont see any symbols, only letters and I dont believe you can Trademark letters. I dont know.

The grouping of the letters are trademarked. They can be charged with theft and impersonation at the least!

$0.02

I think they should all be expelled from the University. Those taking the pictures, those in the pictures (whether you were in costume or not), and all in attendance that decided to stay and fraternize with these ignorant people. Everyone there, was condoning the costumes, whether they wore them or not. Myself, being a member of Omega Psi Phi, wasn't nearly as offended by the Letters, as I was the KKK robes and and the Neck Noose wearing people. It was a blatent act of ignorance and racism. Anything but total expulsion in my opinion, makes AUBURN UNIVERSITY a condoner of this type of behavior. It does however REINFORCE the need for affirmative action programs in this world. Things in this world are far from equal, and racism is far from being non-existent. This was not an act of individual stupidity. This was, not one, but two white fraternities, and ALL of their friends and sorors. Probably more of them than black students on Auburn's Campus. The Athletes, black and white, should refuse to play this Saturday, I bet we'd see some swift action then....I need to stop writing because I am getting upset...Peace.

A response!!!

I tracked down the Associate Director of Communication for Beta Theta Pi and this is what he had to say...

Dear Mr. LeBlanc,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We at Beta Theta Pi , collectively and individually, are appalled by the distasteful and unacceptable behavior displayed by members of the Delta Zeta Chapter of Beta Theta Pi at Auburn University. Such behavior is inexcusable.

We currently have a high-level staff member and a member of our board of trustees on-site in Auburn, Ala., conducting a thorough investigation. During this time, the chapter has been suspended. Further appropriate actions will be taken when all of the information has been gathered.

Our executive director, Steve Becker, spoke yesterday afternoon with Omega Psi Phi executive director Earl Wilson. The two men expressed their concern for the situation under friendly and cordial terms and Mr. Wilson understands, as I hope you do, that the actions of these members do not reflect the ideals and principles of the Beta Theta Pi General Fraternity.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas C. Olver
Associate Director of Communication
Beta Theta Pi General Fraternity
5134 Bonham Road - P.O. Box 6277
Oxford, Ohio 45056
(w) (800) 800-2382 ext. 235
(f) (513) 523-2381
tolver@wooglin.com
www.betathetapi.org

>>> "Christopher LeBlanc" <christopher_leblanc@hotmail.com> 11/07/01 05:44PM >>>

Mr. Olver,

It is with my utmost dissapointment that I come to you this day in reference to your Delta Zeta Chapter on the campus at Auburn University. I trust in this day and age that this situation will be rectified in a professional and appropriate manner.

Please make sure that this occurence is not pushed under the rug because the African American community most certainly will not.

Regards,

Christopher Le Blanc

SWACPage family,

Please continue to follow up with Mr. Olver as I did. Let them feel us in numbers.

So this is the America I'm supposed to blindly support???

Are the these the clowns I'm supposed to unify with in the wake of Sept. 11????

As a grad student at Auburn, I want nothing less than to see the media tear into the university's azz. I want this isht on CNN. What's strange is that the administration here has the nerve to wonder why Black enrollment is so meager (~6-7%). It's obvious that we're not welcome here, nor on plenty of other PWC campuses.

It all good though. It is my sincere hope that this fiasco will encourage more Black men and women in Alabama and elsewhere to make the correct decision concerning undergraduate education and lend their talents to schools that actually give a damn about them--- HBCUs.
:mad: :mad:

uFck Auburn and all other schools where such ignorance breeds!!!!!!

Back