Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms will not seek re-election

EB

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms will not seek re-election

May 06, 2021 at 9:49 pm EDT
By WSBTV.com News Staff

ATLANTA — Channel 2 Action News has confirmed that Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms will not seek reelection next year.

Sources close to the mayor told Channel 2′s Dave Huddleston that Bottoms told supporters about her decision on a virtual meeting Thursday night. She has accepted a position with Walgreen’s.

We’ll have LIVE updates on this developing story on WSB Tonight at 11 p.m.

Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne has been told that Bottoms told supporters on the call that she will finish her term, she loves the city and will continue to fight for what she believes in.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Maybe cause I've never really took much notice and gave Keisha Bottoms a deep look, I'm just kinda confused why many within the Black Community have come hard for her. I know very well that many peeps get elected to push an agenda or to maintain some status quo. I just never looked at her in that light. Can someone help me to understand what I missed?

Maybe cause I've never really took much notice and gave Keisha Bottoms a deep look, I'm just kinda confused why many within the Black Community have come hard for her. I know very well that many peeps get elected to push an agenda or to maintain some status quo. I just never looked at her in that light. Can someone help me to understand what I missed?
You haven't missed anything. She really believed that she could change the City that she was born and grew up in. She didn't have any crooked agenda and wanted to stand for truth. She just got burnt out on the little fights, from Trump, Kemp, police force, City Council people, etc.... And she has small kids that she is thinking of. Rather just be a Mom, I guess.

It's one of those cases of you go in wanting to do what is right and by the rules. Yet once you get there you see all the barriers that folks have to fight. You begin to understand why things are where they are. You see who is REALLY benefitting from the mess and it's not always a white person or who you think is the enemy.

Black folks want to scream for stuff to pander to ONLY them. That is not how it works not even for white folks. Voter suppression, gun control, schools and so affect EVERYBODY. You are the mayor of EVERYBODY not just black folks.

A lot of Black people do not like that she aided -- through (initiatives that were given life under Kasim Reed) gentrification that displaced many Black people and families. They see an Atlanta that is shifting toward the interests of elite Black Atlantans or transplants to the city than the common men and women.

Back