Atlanta filmmakers sue over hit 'Drumline'

knl

Indie Atlanta filmmakers sue over hit 'Drumline'

Indie Atlanta filmmakers sue over hit 'Drumline'

Rodney Ho - Staff
Wednesday, November 5, 2003

The Atlanta makers of an independent film about black college marching bands filed a federal lawsuit on Tuesday seeking damages of at least $150 million against the studio that financed and distributed the 2002 hit movie "Drumline."

Claiming that ideas from their film "Pay the Price" were stolen, media producer Darryl Lassiter and gospel singer David Gough filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in New York against 20th Century Fox and Fox Entertainment Group.

A Fox spokeswoman said Tuesday afternoon the company hasn't officially been served and had no comment.

Lassiter wrote a screenplay in 1992 about his days at Alabama State University as the Marching Hornets' trumpet section leader and produced his $200,000 film in 2000.

Gough, the film's sole funder, couldn't secure a distribution deal, but "Pay the Price" was released on video last year about the same time as "Drumline" hit the theaters starring Nick Cannon as a rebel drummer. Produced by Atlanta music mogul Dallas Austin for $20 million, "Drumline" pulled in $54 million in domestic box office grosses. A sequel is reportedly in the works.

Lassiter said he met an assistant to Austin in 2000, proposing Austin help finance his film's distribution and even asked to direct "Drumline." He said he never heard back.

Austin, a drummer in his high school marching band, couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday but told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution last December that he came up with the "Drumline" idea in the early 1990s. He said he never saw "Pay the Price" before producing "Drumline."

"I'm not going to sit and say that this guy didn't do his film or didn't have the idea," Austin said, "but it's one of those topics like an army or football film. A lot of people experienced it. It's not a surprise that other people thought of this."

Lassiter has hired Willie Gary, a well-known Florida corporate litigator, on contingency. At a Tuesday news conference at the downtown Marriott Marquis, Gary played a 40-minute videotape comparing 40 scenes from the two films.

Both films are based in Atlanta, focusing on freshmen students struggling to join a black college marching band. Both used Clark Atlanta University and Morris Brown College bands. Both featured band directors who loved classical music. Both ended in a battle of the bands competition. "Drumline" centered its film on one character while "Pay the Price" was more an ensemble piece.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Bama State Alum Sues "Drumline" Producer

November 5, 6:45 p.m.
'Drumline' Drumming Up Legal Battle

Some legal trouble may be drumming up for the makers of the box office hit 'Drumline.' An alumnus of ASU's band says the concept was his idea and he's accusing movie producers of stealing it.

Alabama State students are giving their former band member a lot of support. "Wow this is something that's big. When you can get 30, 50, 60 thousand people to show up just to see bands perform, " says ASU Band Director James Oliver.

It's a concept the movie drumline capitalized on. A big box office hit but when Oliver saw the finished product he could only think of one person: Darryl Lassiter.

He says Lassiter pitched the same idea to him: a film called 'Pay the Price' he had already written and produced own his own. Lassiter produced his film in 2002 for $200,000 but had problems landing a distribution deal. So, he reportedly turned over his film and screenplay to Dallas Austin, the producer of 'Drumline' to help with financing.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District court in New York Tuesday and several ASU Alumni Band members have been asked to testify.

Austin defended himself against accusations he stole the idea. He says quote, "Like an Army or football film. A lot of people experienced this. It's not a surprise that other people thought of this."

Im so sick of hearing about this SHAT.

Let it go Bama State, let it go.

Originally posted by BandFan

Let it go Bama State, let it go.

BandFan,

Its not Bama State that's sueing Dallas Austin. Its Darryl Lassiter, who happens to be a Bama State alum.

So if you want someone to "let it go", you might want to direct that to Darryl Lassiter.

Originally posted by Deuce
BandFan,

Its not Bama State that's sueing Dallas Austin. Its Darryl Lassiter, who happens to be a Bama State alum.

So if you want someone to "let it go", you might want to direct that to Darryl Lassiter.

ASU is supporting him arent they?

They need to let him direct DL2 so he can stop whining already.
Side note: Pay the Price is a good MOVIE!!!!

ASU is supporting him arent they?

The people who believe him, and participated in the movie are supporting him. Some of them are ASU people, and some of them are not. The article only focused on the ASU students because it appeared in a Montgomery newspaper.

There are a lot of folks at the AU Center, and all over Atlanta, the southeast, and even in New York that support his claim. This is not an ASU issue. Its and issue of fairness being brought to light by an ASU alum.

I saw coverage of the news conference on the local news here. I see Lassiter has hired. Big Willie Gary.

ummm BandFan,
If the brother thinks his idea was stolen and someone went on to profit from it, why shouldn't he sue?

Originally posted by mighty hornet

ummm BandFan,
If the brother thinks his idea was stolen and someone went on to profit from it, why shouldn't he sue?

No doubt MH. Im just getting tired of hearing about Drumline then right after that I hear about Lassier. If there is some Foul Play, I hope that it is brought to light.
For some reason, Dallas Autin seems kinda SHADY.

For some reason, Dallas Autin seems kinda SHADY.

Yes, he is shady. :rolleyes:

And yes, I support Darryl..........for reasons other than just being an ASU Alumnus. ;)

I don't know what Darryl Lassiter's financial situation is but I'm sure he would not be able to get an attorney of Willie Gary's status without Gary believing that there is a 90% chance of winning the case. Attorney's of his stature will not touch your case unless he is assured of getting paid big bucks. For Gary to appear at a press conference with Lassiter tells me that this brother is getting ready to get broke off big. :swink: :swink: :swink: :swink:

I was at the news conference and they showed scenes that were straight copied. and Dallas's claim is that this is his high school experience?????????????Bro I 'm from Atlanta and i know Columbus high school is white corp style and don't crab so go figure?????:idea:

Originally posted by oldskoolbulldog
I was at the news conference and they showed scenes that were straight copied. and Dallas's claim is that this is his high school experience?????????????Bro I 'm from Atlanta and i know Columbus high school is white corp style and don't crab so go figure?????:idea:

Basically. ;) This was my response on some other forums:

I have seen the movie "Pay the Price" and "Drumline" and yes, there are a lot of similiarities between the two. The reason I am with Darryl on this one because he presented the idea and concept to Dallas Austin a while back. Austin told him that he would get back with him on it and never did.

1.) I have heard several times that Austin is known to steal ideas and take all the credit. Remember "Ronnie" from the Player's Club?? Well I use to work with her at a law firm and at the time, she had just finished the movie and was working on some songs (she's also a song writer); anyway, she was pissed cause she gave Austin some ideas and guess what???? He tooked them and ran.

2.) Austin claims that "Drumline" is somewhat based on his experience in the marching band in high school. Austin is from my hometown (Columbus, GA) and attended Columbus High School, which at the time, and still is, a predomantly white, corp-style marching band. He has NEVER marched in an black college band so how is the movie based on his experience?

While I will admit that Darryl is wrong for suing for that amount (then again, maybe he has his reasons), Austin was dead wrong for "allegedly" stealing his idea. The only problem I see Darryl running into is that he may not have proof.

Oh well...........we'll just have to see.

Originally posted by yvette23
Basically. ;) This was my response on some other forums:

I have seen the movie "Pay the Price" and "Drumline" and yes, there are a lot of similiarities between the two. The reason I am with Darryl on this one because he presented the idea and concept to Dallas Austin a while back. Austin told him that he would get back with him on it and never did.

1.) I have heard several times that Austin is known to steal ideas and take all the credit. Remember "Ronnie" from the Player's Club?? Well I use to work with her at a law firm and at the time, she had just finished the movie and was working on some songs (she's also a song writer); anyway, she was pissed cause she gave Austin some ideas and guess what???? He tooked them and ran.

2.) Austin claims that "Drumline" is somewhat based on his experience in the marching band in high school. Austin is from my hometown (Columbus, GA) and attended Columbus High School, which at the time, and still is, a predomantly white, corp-style marching band. He has NEVER marched in an black college band so how is the movie based on his experience?

While I will admit that Darryl is wrong for suing for that amount (then again, maybe he has his reasons), Austin was dead wrong for "allegedly" stealing his idea. The only problem I see Darryl running into is that he may not have proof.

Oh well...........we'll just have to see.
I know I made some bama state jokes early on but when you told me,Columbus high I knew then . Then at the follow up conference, half of my job went and we saw the scenes that he straight jacked from the script. So everybody here is convinced, even the white folks ( WSB did an interview with him and Willie Gary and trust me their case is tight) Plus he was a smart black man he copyrighted the script. ( this is jeasy by the way yvette)
:cool: Let me get back to work before I get fired :D

Originally posted by enswaclopedia
I don't know what Darryl Lassiter's financial situation is but I'm sure he would not be able to get an attorney of Willie Gary's status without Gary believing that there is a 90% chance of winning the case. Attorney's of his stature will not touch your case unless he is assured of getting paid big bucks. For Gary to appear at a press conference with Lassiter tells me that this brother is getting ready to get broke off big. :swink: :swink: :swink: :swink:

OH yeah Yvette and you know he is going to break off ASU Yall probally have 3 new uniforms.

OH yeah Yvette and you know he is going to break off ASU Yall probally have 3 new uniforms.
We don't need new uniforms but there was a high school band that performed at halftime dressed in maroon that could sure use them.

Originally posted by enswaclopedia
We don't need new uniforms but there was a high school band that performed at halftime dressed in maroon that could sure use them.

That was such a trivial post , Tricks are for kids honeybee:lmao:

The More And More I Watch Drumline It Becomes So Lame Nick Cannon Cant Act, Or Rap Dude Need To Stick With Nick

Shad up!!!!

~middle fanga~ :redhot: :lmao:

I sent him an email for an update; this lawsuit is probably going to sell more copies of "Pay the Price." :cool:

One other thing I forgot to mention about Dallas Austin being shady; remember the song "Don't Take It Personal" by Monica? Well there was an article in the Columbus Ledger/Enquirer (I still have that article) that came out back in 1994 or 95, whenever the song came out; anyway, this guy that went to my high school (he graduated 3 years after myself) actually wrote that song.

Guess who took the credit and money and did not give ole boi props?????? :rolleyes:

WELL I DON'T THINK DALLAS WANTS TO GO UP AGAINST WILLIE GARY , AND WHEN 20 CENTURY FOX FINDS OUT THAT DALLAS LIED THEY ARE GOING DROP HIM LIKE A HOT POTATO , HEY YOU NEVER KNOW LASSITER MIGHT DO DRUMLINEII ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE

Back