ASU Baseball News!

SlickPartna

Client & Player President
ASU has baseball revival
By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

asubase1.jpg

Alabama State pitcher Tresmend Smith works at Thursday?s practice.
The Hornets have SWAC title hopes for the first time in several seasons.

Alabama State baseball coach Larry Watkins knew this year?s team was going to be a little different when he saw the list they had taped to his door a few days before the season started.

It was a list of goals that the team had for the upcoming season. And the Hornets didn?t go easy on themselves.

The list included making the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament, winning the conference tournament, making the NCAA tournament and winning it as well.

So far, the Hornets have been on a mission to accomplish many of those goals. ?I don?t think that I?ve ever had a team that wanted to succeed as much as this team does,? said Watkins. ?I truly believe that these guys just won?t give up until they?ve accomplished their goals.?

The top three teams from each division make the conference SWAC tournament and the winner of the tournament gets an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. So, with a 17-17 overall record and a 11-9 mark in conference play, the Hornets have placed themselves in second place in the SWAC?s East Division with 12 games remaining and still have a shot at achieving their goals.

?The closer these guys get to achieving those goals, the hungrier they are,? Watkins said. ?You can tell just by watching them how bad they want it.?

Whether the Hornets accomplish their goals or not this year, they?ve already showed a marked improvement from last season, when they went 14-28. Part of that turnaround is due to good pitching, according to Watkins.

?Sometimes, before ball games, I just get a hat and put all the names in it, shake it up and see who I pull out,? he said. ?We?ve got better pitching this year than in a long time.?

The pitching staff?s top starter is freshman Brian Nichols. So far this season, Nichols has posted a 2.76 earned run average, struck out 36 batters in 42 innings of work, while going 4-3 in seven starts.

Nichols said the pitching staff has taken upon themselves to raise the intensity level in each game.

?We?re the ones that go out there and make sure everybody is up for the game or for practice or for whatever we?re doing,? Nichols said. ?We?ve got a lot of unity on this team this year. Playing as a team was one of the things we most wanted to do this season and we have. You won?t find a team that?s any closer than this team.?

The high intensity of the pitching staff has earned them the nickname ?maniacs? from Watkins and assistant coach Quinton Jones.

?Those boys will do whatever we ask them to do for however long we ask them to do it,? Jones said. ?They?d run until dusk if we didn?t make them stop. They just work so hard.?

While the pitching staff has been raising the intensity level, sophomore pitcher Tresmond Smith said it was the leadership of the older players that?s made the difference this season.

?Last year, we only had a few upperclassmen on the team,? he said. ?This year, we?ve got quite a few. That really helps out to have someone with experience to kind of show you the way around.?

Smith said the team only needed a small push to turn things around.

?We just had to find out how to win,? he said. ?And that was easy. We definitely already knew how to lose, the only thing left was to learn how to win. All we needed was just a little spark to get things going.?

Now that they?ve got things going, Watkins said he doesn?t expect them to stop.

?We took all four games this past weekend from Alcorn (State),? Watkins said. ?These guys are hungry and only want more. They?re not going to stop until they accomplish their goals.?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hey MACBFAC.....Let's wakeup and smell the coffee...we know who is taking the baseball title....

Them Jags......

I admit that it is impressive that you beat Alcorn. They have been the second best team in the EAST for a while but over the past TEN years, only JSU, SU, and Gram have had any real baseball success. Your team still has a long way to go.

Does anyone know if ASU's top pitcher, Brian Nichols, is from Decatur, GA? I remember a good pitcher with that name who played for SW Dekalb HS & played at Gresham Park.

*Surprised that Bamas are talking baseball now. Amazing how a few wins can bring people out of the closets.*

If I may interject..............

What do you expect folks to talk about Bean, it's baseball season ??

:confused:

BTW, we suuuuccckkkk !!! :(

Bad News Bears, send help please !!!!

Thank goodness for Spring Football practice.

:D

Re: If I may interject..............

Originally posted by phatback
What do you expect folks to talk about Bean, it's baseball season ??

:confused:

Well, I know for one that talk about baseball to a Bama was like some racist statement. Now, they can not get enough of baseball like it was just invented. I know that I stated that it was "America's favorite past time" sport and some Bamas started shoutin "Crucify him!!! We want Barabbas!! Crucify him!!" Now, they are out the closet and waiving their color coalition flags. Sad, just plain sad.

Bean, look at the sign on the door. This is the Sports Board.:idea: I could see if this was on the Smack Board, maybe.

GR.....................hold...........................responsible:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Mr. SWAC
Bean, look at the sign on the door. This is the Sports Board.:idea: I could see if this was on the Smack Board, maybe.

GR.....................hold...........................responsible:rolleyes:

Mr. WACS, you've been around long enough to know that anything can turn into smack. But, ironically, this is not. It's the truth. When the Big 3 started talkin baseball, you all ran into your hiding closets shouting "baseball is not part of the major sports in the SWAC. If it is not basketball or football, then we do not recognize it." Now since you all have a few wins, you all are comin out waiving banners. *smh*.

Bean, everything you just said happened ON THE SMACK BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Is it getting clearer now? Anything, Hello?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Remember this?
by Alcornnite 86
Eastern Division W L T Pct W L T Pct Next Game
Jackson State 3 1 .750 7 7 .500 3/14 Delta State
Alcorn State 8 4 .667 11 6 .647 3/13 Southern (DH)
M Valley State 4 4 .500 4 18 .182 3/16 Alabama State (DH)
Alabama State 3 5 .375 8 9 .471 3/14 Florida A&M
Alabama A&M 2 6 .250 5 9 .357 3/13 Florida A&M (DH)
As Usual, Bamas pulling up the rear.

GO BIG TWO!!!!!!!!

by Mighty Hornet
Beyond sad

baseball smack??????????

Never before on TSPN!!!!!!!

absolutely unbelievable!!!!!

I guess next week Jag 79 gon start posting bowling standings and I'm sure the golf smack not far behind!

by unknown1
What has the world come to......baseball smack. Well at least JSU is winning in something.

by mighty hornet
Other than football and basketball, what else is there worth talking about????? Huh?

We've won the last 2 cross country championships, so, should I brag about that?

Or what about the indoor track title the Lady HORNET team just won, maybe I'll start a topic about that!

Now since you all won some games, what??? Is baseball worth talkin about now with you out of the closet BAMAs?

Originally posted by Mr. SWAC
Bean, everything you just said happened ON THE SMACK BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Is it getting clearer now? Anything, Hello?

Baseball is baseball. Whether on the Sports Board or Smack Board. If you didnt want to talk about baseball, you all didnt want to talk about baseball. Now, you all couldnt wait to smack on Alcorn AFTER you all swept them. Before you swept them, you was like "What? Baseball Smack? This is plain sad!" Now, you're like:
*In the voice of Diana Ross*
Im comin out!! I want the world to know. Im going to let it show.
Sad.....

GET READY THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

DAYUM BEAN, THE MOTORS ON BUT NOBODY IS BEHIND THE WHEEL. Do you see baseball smack on here? JUST ANSWER ME THIS:

Where did you get all of those post from??

Originally posted by Blacknbengal

Baseball is baseball. Whether on the Sports Board or Smack Board. If you didnt want to talk about baseball, you all didnt want to talk about baseball. Now, you all couldnt wait to smack on Alcorn AFTER you all swept them. Before you swept them, you was like "What? Baseball Smack? This is plain sad!" Now, you're like:
*In the voice of Diana Ross*
Im comin out!! I want the world to know. Im going to let it show.
Sad.....

Uhhh...Bean?

*whispering*
:idea:

Mr. SWAC isn't from Bama State....he reps AAMU....

Try it again. :)

Well, answer me this. Do you all talk baseball at all in Bama? NO! Im not talkin AU or UofA either. Im talkin SWAC, cause before you all started winning the only ones that were talking was the Big 3.

Ask Might Ho-Dog where I got those post. Im pretty sure he could point you in the right direction. SAD!

Originally posted by Ntelekt

Uhhh...Bean?

*whispering*
:idea:

Mr. SWAC isn't from Bama State....he reps AAMU....

Try it again. :)

My bad! I thought you all were the same. Bama State, AAMU.:confused: :rolleyes:

Answer mine first.

Where did you get all of those post from??

Bean, don't make me have to break it down for you to understand what had happened, and what the situation is.:(

THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL:
Holla at me when you get the sense to get a new coach. Until then, mediocrity is the norm.
S _ _. and smalltime.
Mr. SWAC, Inc. Copyright@2002
Protected by Title XXVII .a11 of the U.S.A. Patents and Copyrights Law

Do this apply to baseball too?

Unless y'all bomb this season away for the next couple of years like in the aforementioned sports, then you have a pretty good chance of it not being on the list. Now though, you're on the clock.;)

Back