Arkansas-Pine Bluff football

the band fan

Baseball Fan
I assume they will keep the interim guy in place because it's real late in the process to find a coach and expect him to do something in 3 weeks (signing day).

Kids have been visiting the campus on a consistant basis so I guess they will stick with the interim.

My only problem is why the wait? Ot of the 3 schools that had vacancies, they are the ones with a little more establishment. They have the facilities in place but I am unsure as to what they are offering the head guy. Money keeps alot of folks from moving up. That happened at PV last year (2002).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was about to create a post to find out the typical spring college football schedule. We (UAPB) have had this job open for about 7 or 8 weeks and I don't know WHY in the L we could get somebody in place by now.

So tell me, when is

1) Signing day
2) Sign period (from what day to what day)
3) First day of spring practice
4) Last day of spring practice.

I just want to know what the UNLUCKY person is up against when he takes the job. I guess at this point you have to stick with a coach presently at UAPB. A new coach will have to 1) relocate 2) Assemble a staff 3) Hit the recruiting trail, etc.

Signing day is Wednesday, February 4th. It's the first day students can sign scholarship offers. As to your spring practice schedule, your coach will know. Whomever that is. Maybe your admn. is letting the interim run recruiting and the the new coach will take over from there.

I doubt it, I don't see the need to at this point. I don't think having 3 consecutive bad years in football should raise a concern to go D2.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Sperm, has your administration considered going D2???

Hell, the SWAC should consider going D2 if the rationale is based on win and loss records against other conferences.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
I doubt it, I don't see the need to at this point. I don't think having 3 consecutive bad years in football should raise a concern to go D2.

what about not being competitive in ANY of the other sports... I dont really keep up with track, but it seems like UAPB is always at the bottom of the SWAC in every other sport.

DaHill,

They are. That was my point.

PBLA don't get offended. It was an honest question.

I would also recommend that Valley moves down. I know that every now and then schools have spurts where they do well but I think that universities should clasify themselves where they can be competive more often than not.

Originally posted by DAHILL
what about not being competitive in ANY of the other sports... I dont really keep up with track, but it seems like UAPB is always at the bottom of the SWAC in every other sport.

Now, you must admit that being at the top of the SWAC in bowling and being at the bottom makes no difference. UAPB was competitive in baseball last year. Basketball has not been good to us. Really, outside of football, the other SWAC sports don't matter. I would like to know the combined SWAC attendance for SWAC basketball games. Point is, who cares about any SWAC sport outside of football?

Now, you must admit that being at the top of the SWAC in bowling and being at the bottom makes no difference. UAPB was competitive in baseball last year. Basketball has not been good to us. Really, outside of football, the other SWAC sports don't matter. I would like to know the combined SWAC attendance for SWAC basketball games. Point is, who cares about any SWAC sport outside of football?

Co-signing.

Tigerpride, I can't get offended about sports, that's just the way I talk. But using the attendance rationale and reasoning, even Valley and PVU are in the D1AA range. Now on the FINANCIAL serious tip, every school in the SWAC would be in the black if it were D2 because of the attendance and the number requirment of sports for women and men at that level.

Im glad my athletic director doesnt think like this.

Originally posted by DAHILL
Im glad my athletic director doesnt think like this.

I'm sure mine doesn't either. I'm just being a realist. Here in Dallas, there are plenty of people who graduated from a HBCU, but I have yet to hear of 1 that has said, "Man, we are getting on the road this weekend Alabama to catch the GSU/AAMU baseball game".

Outside of the people that live in HBCU towns/cities, I'm sure that nobody gets on the road to go to a HBCU non-football event. There may be very few instances where I'm wrong.

You tell me, how many people show up to your school's non-football events per sport per game?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yeah, looks like the AD has a long time relationship with this guy and has hooked him up with a job.

Who is he and what is he about?

UAPB recruits impressed with staff

By Nate Olson
OF THE COMMERCIAL STAFF

Arkansas-Pine Bluff interim coach Marty Steward and his staff appear to be making an impact on the recruiting trail.

When UAPB Coach Lee Hardman resigned after 11 years in December, UAPB athletic director Craig Curry appointed Steward, a defensive coordinator, as the interim head coach. He instructed Steward and the staff to recruit players until a replacement was hired.

At least two recruits said if either Steward or Willie Fulton, a current UAPB defensive back coach, are not hired they will scratch UAPB from their list of college choices. Steward, Fulton and former Norfolk State Coach Maurice "Mo" Forte are the candidates as of now. Forte was interviewed over the weekend and Curry said one other candidate will be interviewed as well.

"I think I would (write UAPB off)," said Little Rock McClellan All-State linebacker Boyce Mitchell Saturday night, while on a recruiting visit at UAPB. "I can't come and play for someone if I don't know you. All the way through junior high and high school I knew my coaches and they knew me. It was almost like a father and son."

Freddy Fairchild, an All-State linebacker from state champion Little Rock Central, agreed.

"It's like going to visit somebody's house, but you don't know who stays there," said Fairchild, who will also visit Arkansas, Arkansas State, Harding and Central Arkansas. "It's pretty hard to make a decision when you don't know the coach. I also can't afford to wait. I need to make my decision up.

Fairchild said he has been impressed with the current UAPB staff and their sincerity.

"I had a chance to meet Coach Steward, and he is pretty cool guy. I hope he gets the job. I think I will fit in real well (at UAPB). He knows me real well, and I think it would feel pretty different playing for a coach that hasn't seen his recruits.

Mitchell said he likes UAPB and its current staff because they have made him feel comfortable. Mitchell is concerned that another coach may not be as welcoming as Steward and Co.

"The reason I decided to choose UAPB as one of my visits is because it is close to home," said Mitchell, who will also visit Tennessee State, Mississippi Valley State, Ole Miss, Southern and Arkansas. "There is more of a family issue here. Coach Steward and the other coaches stress the word 'love.' I don't want to go to another school where I am just known as number.

"(At UAPB) they have shook my hand, and I shook there hand and we have talked one-on-one. They have gotten to know me. They all feel that I have the physical capability to play on the next level."

Steward and Fulton will be interviewed for the job on Friday. A decision could come the following week.

Current players support Steward, Fulton

UAPB junior cornerback Keith Scott, a Watson Chapel alum, said the consensus of current players is that they want to see former UAPB assistants Marty Steward or Willie Fulton hired to take over the Golden Lion program.

"We are antsy to see if the athletic director is going to name Coach (Marty) Steward or Coach (Willie) Fulton or someone else as the head coach," Scott said. "It's like this: We want to play for Steward or Fulton, but if we play for someone else we are going to give him our all. If we don't get one of those two it would be all right, but we would like one of them.

"I'm not trying to knock anyone else and what they are doing, but Steward and Fulton know us and they know the recruits."

Scott said that because signing day is just over two weeks away, hiring Steward or Fulton would seem to make the most sense, since they are already familiar with the current crop of recruits.

Norfolk State administration stands by decision

In an article published on the UAPB website, the school's athletic director, Craig Curry, said he talked with officials at Norfolk State, and they indicated that former NSU head coach Maurice "Mo" Forte was ushered out too quickly. Forte is one of four candidates vying for the UAPB head coach job.

"I spoke with a representative of the president (at Norfolk St.) and quite frankly, they admitted they let him go too soon," Curry told the website. "They were in a hurry to win, and if he would've stuck around for his last year, they would have had a winning season."

However, NSU associate athletic director Craig Cotton said the school stands by its decision not renew Forte's four-year deal after he finished his career there with a 15-29 record that did not include a winning season.

"We have someone else in here now that is going to build on the progress Mo started and take us even further," Cotton said. "I will just say that Mo took us to a certain level."

Cotton said after Forte's third year, hopes were high that the fourth year would produce a winning record but when Forte was unsuccessful the school decided to go another direction.

"His third season he went 5-6 and finished strong," Cotton said. "We went into the fourth season with an open mindset. I don't think it was a pre-determined situation."

Forte was fired at North Carolina A&T after putting together a 27-36-1 record from 1982 to 87.

Forte did win a MEAC Championship at A&T and was the conference coach of the year.

"It doesn't surprise me that he is being considered (for the UAPB job)," Cotton said. "He had a positive impact on our program. He has vast experience at the college level. He has been successful and won a championship. I am not at all surprised to see him as a possible candidate."

HIRING FORTE COULD MEAN INCREASED PRESSURE

By Nate Olson
Of the Commercial Staff

By now, Arkansas-Pine Bluff athletic director Craig Curry is used to dealing with pressure.

After all, you don't become an All-Big 10 quarterback, a big business success, and an athletic department administrator at two of the nation's most prestigious universities if you can't handle the heat.

However, Curry may be in the process of putting some undo pressure on himself and a good friend.

For 48 days now, Curry has been looking for a new football coach to replace longtime Coach Lee Hardman, who resigned after 11 years. It appears the search will last at least another week.

One of the candidates is longtime friend and former University of Minnesota teammate, Maurice "Mo" Forte.

The Commercial reported Tuesday that Forte would be the first candidate to be interviewed. Later it was learned UAPB assistant coaches Marty Steward, who is the interim coach, and Willie Fulton will be interviewed this Friday.

Forte interviewed and met alumni and members of the community on Friday and Saturday before returning to his home in Chesapeake, Va. on Sunday morning.

Near the time it was reported Forte would be interviewed, a group of people, including some alumni, contacted Chancellor Lawrence A. Davis Jr., and voiced concern and suspicion regarding the process.

Perhaps the discovery of Forte's selection as candidate was a shock for supporters, who had never heard the name before.

Forte is hardly a household name to people in Pine Bluff since his only connection to the town is Curry. He is not from Arkansas, nor did he ever play here.

Perhaps because Forte was the first name put forth, and because of his losing career record as a head coach and his friendship with Curry, the conspiracy theorists came out in force.

Then add to all that the fact that for the last two weeks there have been published reports chronicling interest in the job among familiar names like Dennis "Dirt" Winston (a former Razorback and Toledo assistant coach), Earl Buckingham (a Pine Bluff native and assistant head coach at San Jose State) and Melvin Spears (the offensive coordinator at SWAC powerhouse Grambling State). The absence of those names on the interview list probably fueled the suspicion even more.

Some may have thought Curry was going to wait until the 11th hour and, as signing day was nearing, hire his friend without interviewing anyone else.

Curry did put an end to that speculation when he announced Thursday he will interview the two assistants and an additional unnamed candidate. He defended his choice to interview Forte, saying the 54-year-old fits the criteria. Curry had said the ideal candidate would have had experience as a head coach or a coordinator at the collegiate level.

Forte has compiled a 42-65-1 at North Carolina A&T and Norfolk State. He was fired from each of those posts and never had a winning record at NSU.

The former Golden Gopher did win a MEAC Championship and earn conference Coach of the Year honors at A&T.

The other things Forte has going for him are that he coached at four major Division I schools as an assistant (Minnesota, Duke, Michigan State and Arizona State) and was an assistant for eight years in the National Football League with the Denver Broncos and Detroit Lions.

Fact is, Forte does have some impressive accomplishments under his belt. And if he hadn't played college football with the man who would be largely responsible for his hiring, there might not be as much concern.

We don't know all of the coaches who have applied, but it would be safe to assume few have been a coach at the NCAA Division I-AA level -- another advantage for Forte, for sure.

But Curry can't blame fans and alumni for raised eyebrows. The situation could be confused for favoritism. Surely Curry wasn't naive enough to think otherwise, regardless of his intent.

If Curry feels strongly enough that Forte has what it takes to take the Golden Lions to the SWAC Championship, then he will disregard the suspicions of certain fans. Curry learned a long time ago that you can't please everyone. Whoever Curry hires, there will be those who are dissatisfied.

Forte, though, may face loftier expectations than any other candidate. If he is hired, fans may demand that he win immediately, while they might not expect that from another coach. If the Golden Lions have yet to notch a winning season after two or three years, the natives will again be restless.

Curry and Davis have to hire who they think is the best fit for the program, but it seems clear that they will be inviting increased pressure if Forte is their man.

Is it an epidemic for hiring processes at our HBCUs to be disliked by the alumni???

And why does it take us so long to hire a coach??? We always cite the state law about publishing the announcement and allowing the statutory time period to run, but PWCs never do this. They hire coaches within a matter of days of firing or resignation. Why can they do this, yet we take months to hire a coach???

Now, UAPB is in the middle of recruiting and the AD's boy is someone not currently on staff. The player favorites are doing the recruiting as we speak. Recruits are saying that they won't come if the guys they have met aren't hired. Well known assistants are suspected to want the job, but aren't on the interview list. This sounds a lot like what JSU did when we hired Bell. We have to do better than what we are doing.

You are correct Robber. It has taken us too long to hire somebody. We just interviewed on Friday, WHY?

As far as recruits, why the AD thinks someone wants to commit to a program for a coach that they never met. I think there were plenty of top candidates for this job that have ties to Arkansas, UAPB, and or the SWAC that could have made an immediate impact. I don't see why we basically forced Hardman out and replaced him with someone who got force out for the same reason as Hardman.

If he hires his boy, alumni will put the pressure on BOTH of them to produce quickly.

How can Mo Forte even be in the running for this job. He is a sorrier coach than Bell.

Does UAPB even care about his record at A&T and NSU?

Originally posted by bornthrilla
How can Mo Forte even be in the running for this job. He is a sorrier coach than Bell.

Does UAPB even care about his record at A&T and NSU?

Here we go again!!! :eek: Can you ever write a reply without having the name Bell mentioned? :confused:

One point I would like to expound on is simple familiarility. Curry is familiar with Forte, whether we like him or not,whether he has a winning record or not he's Curry boy. we always want to compare our institutions to pwc's and we all know their AD's pick and choose head coaches whom they sometimes have past relationships with so why is it so hard to accept when our AD's attempt to do the same. now I don't personally agree with his choice and hope that he doesn't hire this cat, but I do understand. I would hope that if one of my boys had the opportunity to place me at the top of my profession, he would. S

Blownup, that type of thinking will always keep UAPB second class.

Mo Forte is probably one of the worst coaches in college football. The only reason he gets any jobs is because he knows a lot of people who give him the hookup. The only reason he got the NSU job because Orby Moss and him both had ties to A&T.

At some point his own coaching merit needs to be the deciding factor-- not who he knows. There is nothing Forte did at A&T or NSu that justifies him getting another head coaching job. Nothing at all.

BTW: In 1986 he went 8-3 after playing three D2 schools and a garbage Valley team. The years before and after that, he had losing seasons.

Back